Forum Index > Trip Reports > Seward Park Kid Walk - 1/10/09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSat Jan 10, 2009 11:46 pm 
Gabriel asked me the other day, “Why don’t you ever take us hiking any more?” Instead of listing all the legitimate reasons (recent surgery, First Grade, snow, holidays, etc.) I wisely sympathized with him and offered to plan a short trip for the weekend. He often talks about our infamous walk in the rain at Rattlesnake Lake last year, and remembers the Environmental Learning Center there, so I thought I’d pick a similar type of trip this time. I had never been to Seward Park before, and through my research I found out about their new education center there.
Art
Art
More art
More art
That became our destination. Their web calendar showed a plankton viewing opportunity for Saturday morning. We thought we had make it in time for that, but unfortunately, the gal who does that program was injured, so they didn’t have it up. However, they let us go upstairs and meet Lumpy the tortoise. Lumpy was shy of the kids, and hid in his shell most of the time.
You can't make me come out!
You can't make me come out!
The kids put some tortoise food down on the floor for him, but he wouldn’t be persuaded. I was surprised by the spiny armor on his front legs, which were folded up to protect his head. One of the gals brought in some fresh greens from outside for a treat, and at that point he finally stuck his head out and happily ate them all up.
Looks good!
Looks good!
Lumpy eating
Lumpy eating
The kids thought that that was just super. Once his head was out, he saw Annika’s multicolored striped pants and made a beeline for her. That made her a bit panicky. When he saw Gabriel, he approached him, too, and Gabriel did a great job being quiet and still for Lumpy to get within a few inched of his legs.
Lumpy investigates
Lumpy investigates
That was a neat experience, but it got better, because it just happened to be time for Lumpy’s weekly bath.
Lumpy gets a bath
Lumpy gets a bath
We got to watch him sit in the sink and try to escape. The kids both thought that was one of the highlights of our day. They don’t have many other exhibits at the Center now, but they do offer classes and programs pretty regularly, and they have a small gift shop. Gabriel had brought some of his allowance to buy something, and they had some inexpensive field guides for sale that he picked up. We ate lunch there (don’t count on being able to eat inside if you go, though; they don’t usually allow it) and then went back to the car to get the kids’ packs on and get ready for our walk in the woods. Annika was more interested in going to the playground, but I knew if we did that we wouldn’t have time to walk before her afternoon meltdown. So we headed up the trail behind the nature center and explored a bit.
Who lives here?
Who lives here?
Warty wood
Warty wood
Tiny fungi
Tiny fungi
Snowberries hang on
Snowberries hang on
Gabriel kept finding chunks of lichen and moss that had blown out of the trees or was on sticks that had fallen. He found one stick that had 3 different kinds of lichen and moss on it.
This stick has 3 different kinds of lichen and moss.
This stick has 3 different kinds of lichen and moss.
It was pretty quiet in the short time we were there, but we heard some crows and we think we heard an eagle or large hawk calling in the trees. We managed to miss the rain, and though it was cool, we were fine with the layers we had on. Soon it was time to head back to the car.
Annika reading map
Annika reading map
Annika did great until that point, when she started screaming as we were walking through the parking lot. Ah, yes, my daily humility practice. I let her look at my Peterson Field Guide once I had her buckled in, though, and she quieted down. Maybe I’ll have to start carrying that book around wherever I go. In any case, it was a nice relaxing outing for a grey day. We made it back in time for naps. I think Gabriel is already looking forward to our next trip.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
touron

touron
PostSun Jan 11, 2009 1:07 pm 
Nice pictures Hiker Mama. I stopped in the visitors center during the Summer and saw the tortoise. I think it's some kind of African(?) tortoise, but I can't remember... up.gif up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Jan 11, 2009 2:33 pm 
don't you love it when the kids are the ones wanting to go for a 'hike'? love Annika's multi striped pants! up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Jan 11, 2009 3:51 pm 
Thanks HM. I haven't been to that park since senior skip day, and that was a long time ago. hockeygrin.gif

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSun Jan 11, 2009 4:52 pm 
Quote:
Annika did great until that point, when she started screaming as we were walking through the parking lot.
Delayed reaction from Lumpy zooming towards her?

Knows literally nothing
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSun Jan 11, 2009 11:44 pm 
GeoTom wrote:
Delayed reaction from Lumpy zooming towards her?
He, he, I wish! Unfortunately it was just a tantrum. Yes, Bobbi, those pants are something else, aren't they? It's hard to find toddler size fleece pants that are inexpensive. We all know that cotton kills. nerd.gif Especially in city parks.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSun Jan 11, 2009 11:49 pm 
Yes, Touron, the tortoise is some kind of African variety. The lady told us what it was called, but I don't remember. I do know that the moist green leaves are strictly a treat. Lumpy needs to eat dried food most of the time, since that's what he's adapted to in the wild. Apparently his favorite food is strawberries. He, like all tortoises, has 13 bumps on his shell. He has no teeth, just a beak to eat with. He gets really grumpy when he needs a bath. He could live upwards of 50 years. He likes bright colors, which is why he was attracted to Annika. We learned quite a bit in the short time we were visiting him.

Jack's Mom

Jack's Mom
PostMon Jan 12, 2009 5:36 pm 
After reading your report on Seward Park, I thought Jack and I should go walk around the loop. This morning proved to be an exciting one -- first, we got to watch a beaver in the water eating something, he must entertain a lot of people because he had quite a crowd and wasn't at all intimidated. Then, two fire trucks and a couple of emergency vehicles screamed by -- apparently a car had gone into the water and they were responding to that. Turned out to be an empty, stolen vehicle. I thought about your kids and how much they would have loved the morning's events!

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Jan 12, 2009 5:53 pm 
Pretty cool the kids brought up the hiking idea up.gif

Eric Eames
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Jan 12, 2009 8:15 pm 
I've never been to Seward Park either. I toyed with the idea a few weeks ago, but then the snow hit, and I never got back to the idea. That's really neat that they missed hiking.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostMon Jan 12, 2009 11:12 pm 
Yes, Quark and r2h, it does warm my heart that they enjoy hiking so much. Course, it could just be that they've been brainwashed very well naughty.gif but I guess they have experienced enough benefits and had enough fun times that they crave it like I do. They are pretty great kids.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostMon Jan 12, 2009 11:14 pm 
Jack's mom, I'm really glad you went today. Yes, we would have loved the fire engines and the beaver. We didn't go down near the water, or we would have seen more birds, I'm sure. Oh well, we have to save something for next time, right? They have toddler classes there pretty often, too, and family programs on weekends. It's worth checking out their website if you live in the area or are looking for things to take your kids to.

Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostTue Jan 13, 2009 3:42 pm 
I loved the pictures and the report - great details.