Forum Index > Trip Reports > Beach Hike 1/16-1/18 ONP
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Twister

Twister
PostTue Jan 20, 2009 10:15 am 
My buddy Ross had never been on a hike before and since the weather and tides looked good for a beach hike I Thought that would be a great first hike. Ross is around 6'6" and 280 Lbs so I didn't have a sleeping bag big enough for him and told him to borrow one. He showed up the night before we left with an 8 pound sleeping bag! This brought his pack up to 47 lbs for a grand total of 327 lbs! I told him this must be some sort of record and he would have trouble with all this weight but he refused to leave anything behind including a fifth of R and R. The next morning he showed up around 6 am as agreed but without boots, he had on a pair of Romeo slippers! After a brief argument about how the beach isn't anything like the ones in cancun we returned to his house for his work boots and we were on our way. The drive up 101 was slow due to ice and we didn't get to third beach trail head till 10 am. Amazingly the sun was out and there was no wind! I loaned ross a pair of gators and showed him how to put them on these came in handy at the first overland crossing as there was no ladder and the mud was up to our knees. Ross thanked me for talking him out of the slippers and we continued on to scotts creek were we met a group of people taking photos. They said they worked for the seattle PI and that they were doing a write up on this hike for the Getaway section. They asked if they could use are photos in the article (second or third week in feb) and we agreed. We set up camp at Strawberry point and rested the first day. The next day we hiked down to Goodman creek. The weather was sunny and almost hot with no wind the whole trip. Ross loved it and can't wait to go again.
Mel and Ross 007
Mel and Ross 007
This is a beach hike?
This is a beach hike?
A Sasquatch and his Lair
A Sasquatch and his Lair

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Jan 20, 2009 12:05 pm 
Romeo slippers shakehead.gif You made an excellent choice for a first hike. He didn't have as much trouble with the weight than you thought he would did he? hockeygrin.gif Snow shoeing would be a different story embarassedlaugh.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Twister

Twister
PostTue Jan 20, 2009 12:55 pm 
Ya Hulksmash he had a lot of trouble with the weight we stopped at strawberry point instead of toleak because he was very tired. The next day even without the pack he was very slow but he always had a smile on his face and never complained. I hate people who bitch about trail conditions or weather.

Damian

Damian
PostTue Jan 20, 2009 1:01 pm 
Great report Twister. I think we saw your car at the TH on Sat. I like this Ross guy. A true winter ocean hiker. Low tech, carries lots of weight and doesn't complain. Hope to see him out at Toleak sometime up.gif

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostTue Jan 20, 2009 1:18 pm 
Good Times on the beach were had by all! smile.gif

strider

strider
PostTue Jan 20, 2009 7:32 pm 
I gave up weighing winter beach packs a looong time ago. Whatever needs to go there, needs to go there. Gotta have a good house, and a bed that will work if it gets wet. Gotta have good R-gear, boots, and gaiters. Gotta have serious wet weather change of clothes. Gotta have something that both you and your fire can live under if it's R-ing sideways (e.g. a tarp and line to fly it with). Gotta have serious firestarter. Lots of it. Gotta have two light sources, and a good 1st aid kit. Gotta have good cook-over-coals food. Freeze dried boil-a-chow doesn't cut it. Gotta have a perk-pot for real coffee, and a grill for real meat. Goota have good booze. Gotta have a serious pack to haul all of this stuff. Whatever it weighs, well, that's what it weighs. Sounds to me like Ross is a kindred soul. Some day I'd like to cook a game hen over a beach fire for him, and a coal baked onion for the side ....

strider I've never been lost, but I'm frequently uncertain where my destination might be in relation to where I am at the moment....