Forum Index > Trail Talk > Joshua Tree National Park?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostWed Jan 21, 2009 8:26 pm 
It looks like my wife and I are might be able to check out Joshua Tree here in a few weeks on our trip to Southern California. If we only had time to hike one trail which one should it be? We would like to see the best of the best if possible since time is limited. Thanks you guys, any information is greatly appreciated.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
SlowWalker
Perma-grinner

SlowWalker
Perma-grinner
PostWed Jan 21, 2009 8:53 pm 
Cholla Cactus Garden The one time I've been there I drove out after a class in Redlands and spent the night at the Black Rock campground. Nothing fancy, but convenient. The next morning I drove across the entire park, stopping whenever I felt like it, starting at the West Entrance and ending past the Cottonwood Spring entrance. The Cactus Garden is nearly in the middle and isn't a hike but a nature trail. Very cool stuff. It was very enjoyable and I was still able to get to the Ontario International Airport by 2pm. Its a beautiful area and you pass a huge wind farm on the way. Have fun!

Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostWed Jan 21, 2009 9:03 pm 
trailjunky wrote:
It looks like my wife and I are might be able to check out Joshua Tree here in a few weeks on our trip to Southern California. If we only had time to hike one trail which one should it be? We would like to see the best of the best if possible since time is limited. Thanks you guys, any information is greatly appreciated.
We were looking at the same thing several years ago and decided on Ryan Mountain. It was OK but certainly nothing special. It was really hazy (very close to LA) and the desert isn't that impressive from a distance. Closer to the ground is a whole different story, the variety of the cactus was amazing and since we were there in mid-April we were able to catch part of the spring bloom. I wouldn't commit to any one particular destination unless a ranger told you it had rained somewhere recently and there were cactus in bloom. IIRC there are five oasis (plural?) - but most of the time they are just a spot where there is some damp soil & palm trees. Your best bet is to move around and try to hit as many different desert environments as you can and look down a lot!

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostWed Jan 21, 2009 9:27 pm 
Most folks hang out in the upper western part (Mojave desert) around the Hidden Valley and Jumbo Rocks areas because that's where all the cool Joshua trees and spheroidally weathered granite formations are located. That's also where all the rock climbers go. Myself, I like the eastern lower part (Sonoran desert), like Cottonwood Spring. A nice hike would be from Cottonwood Spring to Lost Palms Oasis. There you'll find springs and native California fan palms. It's early in the season but your best chance of seeing wildflowers is in the eastern lower part. My personal preference, if it was me, I'd park at the backcountry parking area in Pinto Basin and strike out across the basin and climb up to Pinto Mountain. I love the vast openness of Pinto Basin.

Let me stand next to your fire
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostWed Jan 21, 2009 10:15 pm 
Mid to late March is supposedly the peak of bloom out there. It really depends on how much rainfall there has been. In 2005, all of southern California was one big mass of bloom (that was the year that even Death Valley turned into a flower garden). In 2007, there wasn't a flower to be seen. Here is THE site for keeping track of desert wildflower bloom. While in Southern California, consider a boat trip to the Channel Islands (google Island Packers). Even in the dry spring of 2007, mid to late March was extraordinary, with both ceanothus and coreopsis in full bloom. For Santa Cruz, need to go with a guided hike in the Nature Conservancy portion of the island, but it was a lot of fun. On some of the other islands and on the National Park section of Santa Cruz, you can backpack, but you need to be completely self-contained, including water. The boat trip itself is worthwhile; it's a rare trip you don't see porpoises or whales or both. Here are a few shots from my 2007 trip to Santa Cruz.
Channel Is. NP
Channel Is. NP
Channel Is. NP
Channel Is. NP
Channel Is. NP
Channel Is. NP

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
HappyHiker

HappyHiker
PostThu Jan 22, 2009 8:22 am 
Never been there but my family owns land in the park. There were plans, before it was a park, to build the next Palm Springs in that area. My great aunt purchased a lot in this up and coming place but things never happened. Eventually the park was created and swallowed up the land this development was at. We still have title to the lot and are in communications with the park to deed it over. Also our great uncle was the first superintendent for the park. My sister was down there 5 years ago to visit the place and the rangers took her thru the locked gate to go see the property. Wasnt much really cuz nothing really started developing, just the road to it. So anyway we are in talks with the fine folks down there to have a plaque put up honoring the first superintendent in exchange for the land. Something generations of our family can go visit and learn about their history. I suppose i should go down myself to see it. Be a nice change from this winter we've had. So in short, i have know idea about any hiking trails down there, but if ya pass by my lot on the way, you have my permission to stay there wink.gif .

If You're Lucky Enough To Be In The Mountains, You're Lucky Enough
Mr. Cleanhead
Blues brother

Mr. Cleanhead
Blues brother
PostThu Jan 22, 2009 4:08 pm 
The lookout at (if memory serves me) at Keys View. Once I timed it right to watch the sunrise there over Palm Springs, thousands of feet below. Not a hike, (it is the end of the road, and could be the high point of the park) but well worth the effort. You could drive to the view point before dawn, catch the show, then go hiking. It is a beautiful place in winter. My old stomping grounds! Have fun. Do not touch the cholla before you pee, trust me. Jim

Time spent on a summit is not deducted from your life.
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostThu Jan 22, 2009 6:33 pm 
Here are two other sites to check wildflower blooms. The web sites usually start up in February/March. California Wildflower Hotsheet Theodore Payne Wildflower Hotline We were there camping mid-March one year. Got snowed on higher up while camping. We enjoyed the 49 Palm hike which is not very long or hard. We also went to Cholla Garden.

whitebark

whitebark
PostThu Jan 22, 2009 8:41 pm 
If you are looking for a short hike, Barker Dam loop is nice..lots of granite pinnacles. I enjoyed the hike to Willow Hole, starting from the south end of the Boy Scout Trail.

drilldaddyo

drilldaddyo
PostFri Jan 23, 2009 11:19 am 
I just got back from there in November. The Northern end of the park is much more visually interesting than the Southern end. There might be some information @ Backpacker.com. Go to the forum section and look in the "destinations" then "Southwest" section for Joshua Tree posts. My post is no longer there, but I found the replies there to be very helpful.

Mace

Mace
PostFri Jan 23, 2009 10:06 pm 
J Tree is sublime. Otherworldly trees and rock formations. Good hiking, bouldering and climbing. Also consider Anza Borrego State Park for hiking. I have been there several times the last few winters and will enjoy returning. Watch the bloom reports and figure out where to hike when you are out there. Anza Borrego Desert State Park

Get high, stay high