Forum Index > Trail Talk > Another seasonal, mystery falls
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostFri Jan 23, 2009 10:45 pm 
Viewed from trail at Wallace Falls State Park, Sunday, January 18, 2008; long after high run-off from winter storms. The Performance is dramatic! Unfortunately, my handheld point and shoot was negligent in quality. Anyone else have photos of this falls? Or, know of this very visible waterfalls dropping from Stickney Ridge; must come down "above" Wallace Lake area (probably it is not visible from there)?
STickneyRidgeFalls01.18.09wow
3 labels
STickneyRidgeFalls01.18.09wow
StickneyRidgeFallsCloser01.18.09
StickneyRidgeFallsCloser01.18.09

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostFri Jan 23, 2009 11:02 pm 
I've seen that falls before, but don't know anything about it. I'll be interested to hear what others have to say. biggrin.gif

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat Jan 24, 2009 12:49 am 
Should be right about dead center of this map. I first spotted that one years and years ago, but it flows for such a short period - basically when there is snow melting or after a really prolonged rain - that I've never bothered to pursue it (really, in a state so well endowed with waterfalls, there are hundreds of better locations to seek out before resorting to such a spot, imo). I think Scrooge had at one point levied a fair amount of interest on this one.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat Jan 24, 2009 4:53 am 
Ya. But it was a long time ago, back before I started carrying a camera or doing any serious bushwhacking, so I never got any closer than the edge of the trail between Wallace Falls and Wallace Lake. Only thing I can add is that there are two waterfalls coming down that Stickney cliff, about a quarter mile apart. If I remember correctly, the second one is NW (left) of the one Sabahsboy photographed, and comes down some sort of cleft, so it's harder to get a decent look at it. The one in the pic is visible from Route 2. Oh. I remember one other thing. No runout stream. All the water is evidently absorbed in the talus, so there's no watercourse between the base of the falls and the rest of the Wallace drainage. I looked for one fairly carefully.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostSat Jan 24, 2009 9:09 pm 
Scrooge wrote:
Only thing I can add is that there are two waterfalls coming down that Stickney cliff, about a quarter mile apart. If I remember correctly, the second one is NW (left) of the one Sabahsboy photographed, and comes down some sort of cleft, so it's harder to get a decent look at it. The one in the pic is visible from Route 2.
This is the one that comes down southeast of the lake.
Wallace cascade mod
6 labels
Wallace cascade mod
The other one, which is near the northeast end of the lake, I think actually feeds into it. It also drains this pond
above Wallace lake near point 2803. If you walk the roads between the top of the falls and the lake, you may not see it, but you can almost always hear that cascade that is in your picture. There is no road that actually gets up close to it for good pictures.
Quote:
Oh. I remember one other thing. No runout stream. All the water is evidently absorbed in the talus, so there's no watercourse between the base of the falls and the rest of the Wallace drainage. I looked for one fairly carefully.
agree.gif It runs out in a marshy area on the southwest side of the road that crosses from the lake to the top of the falls, from there I think it must leech into one of the many unmapped feeders between the north and south fork.

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostSun Jan 25, 2009 10:56 pm 
I've seeing these two falls twice and I don't think there are seasonal. First time I saw it was in May last year and then again in August. The water wasn't coming down as much as in May, but you could see it. I wanted to get to them and there were some boot paths that I thought could lead to them, but twice I was with a group of people. Once with folks from out of the country and they felt I was torturing them with the hike to the lake and the other a bunch of college kids who wanted to kick my butt for telling them we were going on a 7 mile hike and it turn into a 12 mile hike. I'm thinking I'll attempt to get back there in April, hopefully the snow isn't too bad on the way to the lake. There are a few falls on the Greg Ball trail on the North Fork Wallace River including one which I will guess was over 200 ft. You can get glimpse of it and I'm sure there are better views, but again, both times I went with people and all they wanted was to get to the car. So come April/May I will go back and at the same time I want to check out the Wallace River up in the mountains above the Wallace waterfalls. I have a feeling there is a little surprise hiding in there.

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostSun Jan 25, 2009 11:07 pm 
Oops, I've actually seen them 3 times already, the other time was 2 years ago and you can see them from US 2. You can see the big one right above the TV satellite dish and the smaller one to the left side of the pic. It's small, but you can see the silver band as it goes down the mountain. This was taken in April. of '07. i saw them later that year but you had to really look for the strands of silver water coming down.
IMG_0109.JPG
4 labels
IMG_0109.JPG

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Jan 25, 2009 11:30 pm 
Obitonykenobi said
Quote:
So come April/May I will go back and at the same time I want to check out the Wallace River up in the mountains above the Wallace waterfalls. I have a feeling there is a little surprise hiding in there.
Don't waste your time, Tony. Absolutely nothing up there. It's a long, gentle valley, so the Wallace River is unexciting. There are no permanent streams coming down the north wall, as far up as I went (and, believe me, you don't want to go that far), and there's nowhere for streams on the south wall to come from (so there aren't any). It's a miserable hike and there are no views ........ except that once in awhile you can see that there's nothing to see. irked.gif It's very deceptive, because from Route 2, it looks like it ought to be a really neat hanging valley. shakehead.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostMon Jan 26, 2009 3:57 am 
Thanks Scrooge, that saved me a hike! I guess I'll put all that energy towards going back to Kanim Falls dizzy.gif I want a better picture of Kanim Falls, Paradise Falls, and try to get a picture of that waterfall that was on the North Fork Snoqualmie before we got to the views of those two falls. Maybe something for March/April when there is still snow or it has just melted to keep all that nasty devils club down.

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostMon Jan 26, 2009 11:08 am 
Obitonykenobi wrote:
So come April/May I will go back and at the same time I want to check out the Wallace River up in the mountains above the Wallace waterfalls. I have a feeling there is a little surprise hiding in there.
The cascade that comes down from Rose lake is tree shrouded and not very impressive, there is nothing real snazzy in terms of waterfalls beyond that.
the old road snaking up the valley
4 labels
the old road snaking up the valley
Its not my picture, but it gives you a great view of the south side of Stickney.
Scrooge wrote:
Don't waste your time, Tony. Absolutely nothing up there. It's a long, gentle valley, so the Wallace River is unexciting. There are no permanent streams coming down the north wall, as far up as I went (and, believe me, you don't want to go that far), and there's nowhere for streams on the south wall to come from (so there aren't any). It's a miserable hike and there are no views ........ except that once in awhile you can see that there's nothing to see. irked.gif It's very deceptive, because from Route 2, it looks like it ought to be a really neat hanging valley. shakehead.gif
lol.gif You paint such a pretty picture David. clown.gif

Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostMon Jan 26, 2009 8:18 pm 
The falls (my call-out, "Stickney Ridge Falls:) shot was taken where the Wallace River trail has the gate to the lower trail, about 0.3 miles from TH at parking lot. I have not seen the falls from elsewhere except from Hwy 2. It was really active last May 17th, the Sunday of the heat wave when there was a huge runoff. I shot lots of waterfall photos that day, but not of this one...too hot to hike...maybe my winter blood had not thinned (thickened?). Best was the big, seasonal falls from Persis....it had, for me, a grand "wow" factor. I asked around on this Website and several offered it was the worst attempt EVER to try to reach (Anderson Creek valley full of the worst tangle of scrub, trees, and worse). Ashame some of these great places cannot be reached...trail builders should try...oh, well, then the trail would wash away and there would be no funding for rebuilding...just like in "real life"!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!

Obi Tony Kenobi
Waterfall Crazy!
PostMon Jan 26, 2009 10:27 pm 
So who is up for March or April to go up to the Stickney Ridge Falls? Also, why isn't there any camping allowed up past Wallace Falls and the lakes? I know there is camping allowed at the parking area, but I don't consider that camping, I could set up a tent on my driveway and call it camping. Last time I was there I came across a bunch of boy scouts coming down the trail with backpacking gear, so I'm guessing they got a special permit?

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Jan 27, 2009 7:55 am 
ObiTonyKenobi wrote:
Also, why isn't there any camping allowed up past Wallace Falls and the lakes?
As long as you're not in the State Park boundaries & don't leave your car parked in the State Park at night there shouldn't be a problem with camping. The upper Wallace valley is the area just discussed in this thread. When I was a kid the entire Stickney Ridge was clearcut and in the winter and spring it looked like a huge hanging glacier.

Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostTue Jan 27, 2009 12:02 pm 
Schroder, I read the linked thread (Stewardship). Went up Wallace River Valley a short way, long time ago. The place had the appearance of long abandoned logging or mine road. I think a trail up to valley head, maybe up and over would be interesting. Back country preservation is great, but entry for all but the most adventurous is near impossible. Oh, well, maybe not in my life time...but a trail into Ragged Ridge and headwaters of Wallace River, Lake Isobel, etc. would be neat! Yes, I would expect no camping WITHIN Wallace Falls State Park boundaries. You need an acqurate map to locate those places OUTSIDE the boundaries; recent changes of the State Park make old maps useless. There seems to be no useful map of the Park, either. Google Earth has a poor set of photos of the area (though, north you can "fly over" some winter shots that are near 3-D!). Wallace Falls State Park needs better mapping, sky views...it is, after all, one of the most visited State Parks and wild places ("wild"? All the park has second or third growth; little remains of the understory and woodland floor of what should be a primeval forest....whatever) near North Pugetopolis (Seattle-Everett).

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Jan 27, 2009 1:30 pm 
I have camped at Jay lake, Shaw lake, Cecelia lake. Never accessed them via Wallace state park. That was years ago, things change, some of that area has been re-logged since. I don't know how far. I would guess access might be easy, via bicycle. If you still can take the back door to Jay lake, Wallace lake is only a half mile away hockeygrin.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential