/Trade 
Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> Old Pass and Cairn 1/24
Previous :: Next Topic  
Justus S.

Post Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:15 am    Old Pass and Cairn 1/24
 Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jan 24, 2009

Old Pass Hill (4885), Cairn Hill (4745)

Headed over to the Blewitt Pass area for a short workout. I was joined by Sjolseth, Collins, Martin S. and Dave C. For this trip I packed a bike which I left up the hwy to avoid the 1.4 mile road walk back to the car. We left the snowshoes in the car for this one but conditions did have us doing some postholing. Today was a chilly day on the east side.

It was a pleasant hike up to Old Pass
Then a little trudging to get to Cairn. Cairn had some big cairns on top. A quick hike down and a coast to the the car ended the trip. Nice little outing and great company.

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Post Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:28 am   

Thanks for a fun outing, even if there were trees on the summit  embarassedlaugh.gif .

It should be noted that the temps were cold enough to freeze the snot inside my nose.  Martin showed 12 degrees on his thermometer at one point.

This trip is historic in my list-bagging career in that these are the first two Backcourt peaks that I've climbed on purpose!
Type E

Post Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:44 am   

Good thinking about using the bike. I remember thinking when I did the same route it was the easiest twofer on any list. Way to get two more knocked off. I am sorry you couldn't find the register on Cairn Hill, it was a memorable one.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
wildernessed
viewbagger

Post Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:49 am   

Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
Thanks for a fun outing, even if there were trees on the summit  embarassedlaugh.gif .

It should be noted that the temps were cold enough to freeze the snot inside my nose.  Martin showed 12 degrees on his thermometer at one point.

This trip is historic in my list-bagging career in that these are the first two Backcourt peaks that I've climbed on purpose!

Great idea for a close quick trip for me, it was a cold one, we sat in the freezing fog for a very short time, my hands got cold, and I started to shiver, so that's an early warning sign for me to start making heat, and made haste. As for the back court peaks, I can say I have been the "accidental back court peakbagger" not knowing that some of the high points are named peaks. hockeygrin.gif

--------------
I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent_Gandhi
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Randy
Cube Rat

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:20 pm   

Somehow I missed this report. It's good seeing Sjolseth out in the Backcourt!  up.gif
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website

Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours 
Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> Old Pass and Cairn 1/24  
  Happy Birthday bobbi!

Jump to: