Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt Pickett-Mtn Lake loop & Turtleback Mtn, Orcas - 1/11-12
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostSun Jan 25, 2009 8:00 pm 
Jan 11, 2009: Jan. 4th we cross country skied up the Twin Lakes Rd north of Mt Baker. The snow was wonderful but the rain 2 days later which caused all those awful floods made quick work of that nice powder. We wanted to go cross country skiing again but the snowline was going up to 5000 feet elevation with rain below. So, we stayed at low elevation. The ferry ride out to Orcas Island was fun.
Washington state ferry from Anacortes to Orcas Island.
Washington state ferry from Anacortes to Orcas Island.
The road to Mt Constitution was gated with snowbanks on each side of the road. We parked at Mountain Lake in Moran State Park and walked the trail along the south end of the lake then along the east bank. There are several large clumps of blowdowns and creeks overflow the trail. There were a few joggers on the trail here. Continuous snow starts right after the junction with the trail to Twin Lakes. The trail from Twin Lakes to Mt Pickett is submerged near the lakes and a stream higher up before the snowline.
submerged trail near Twin Lakes in Moran State Park on Orcas Island, San Juans, Washington
submerged trail near Twin Lakes in Moran State Park on Orcas Island, San Juans, Washington
trail from Twin Lakes to Mt Pickett in Moran State Park in January after an unusual snowfall.  Orcas Island, San Juan islands, Washington
trail from Twin Lakes to Mt Pickett in Moran State Park in January after an unusual snowfall. Orcas Island, San Juan islands, Washington
There's about 6+ inches of crud snow at Mt Pickett's summit.
Mt Pickett in Moran State Park, Washington.  Orcas Island in the San Juans.
Mt Pickett in Moran State Park, Washington. Orcas Island in the San Juans.
I was surprised at all the mature and old growth forest in the park. Perhaps back in the old days some of this timber was not economical to log due to location? Plus, it sounds like it's been a state park for a long time. Next day, we hiked the north end loop on Turtleback Mountain. It would've been a great hike if it weren't for the thick clouds and mist that obscured vistas. This part was all on old woods road.
north end of Turtleback Mtn on Orcas Island in San Juans on a cloudy, drippy day
north end of Turtleback Mtn on Orcas Island in San Juans on a cloudy, drippy day
small break in the clouds on Turtleback Mtn, only view of the day
small break in the clouds on Turtleback Mtn, only view of the day
cliffs on Turtleback Mtn
cliffs on Turtleback Mtn
On the ferry trip back we bumped into Mr. T from Telemarktips.com Talk Forum who I know from his slideshow at a Nooksack Nordic Ski Club meeting. It was fun to talk about skiing. Forecast for both days was run but it was just overcast, cloudy, misty with a little drizzle.

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostSun Jan 25, 2009 8:17 pm 
South trailhead of Turtleback is by far the best for views. The rest is mostly old logging roads and no views. Not much old growth left on the San Juans. Most was cut for steamers, mills and lime kilns. Only the scrubby hard to get stuff survived the axe. However second growth is nearly old enough in some areas to be called "old growth"

mntsun
Wunderer

mntsun
Wunderer
PostMon Jan 26, 2009 2:54 pm 
Nice! I almost had a very similar trip two weeks ago (throwing in Mt Constitution, Little Summit and Ship/Turtle Head) until plans changed, guess it can wait for a little warmer/dryer conditions. Strange to see that much snow on Orcas. When there are no views, you have to have to focus on the rocks, the trees, the moss, the fog, the silence, the water, the water on the trail...thinking about that puts me back on the island on a dark winter hike...

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Jan 26, 2009 4:54 pm 
What's the status now on Turtleback? Last I heard it was going to be divided up & sold off for development.

yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostMon Jan 26, 2009 8:02 pm 
Schroder wrote:
What's the status now on Turtleback? Last I heard it was going to be divided up & sold off for development.
Thankfully, that did not happen. Activists and locals raised money to buy the land and it is now a locally-managed park. Story here. We'll return and hit the south side. There was a rock outcrop with some views from the north though, a little off the trail on an old skid trail with a blowdown shore pine.

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
mike

mike
PostMon Jan 26, 2009 8:49 pm 
Turtleback has been protected but isn't really a park. It is owned by the Land Bank which has been in the process of finalizing a management plan. Bottom line, there won't be free access like a park. Just the trail system is open. There is debate about whether to allow horses or bikes.

yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostThu Jan 29, 2009 7:20 pm 
mike wrote:
Turtleback has been protected but isn't really a park. It is owned by the Land Bank which has been in the process of finalizing a management plan. Bottom line, there won't be free access like a park. Just the trail system is open...
Quibble, quibble. Mere technicality. hockeygrin.gif That's a good link. Says it all. up.gif

mike

mike
PostThu Jan 29, 2009 8:31 pm 
Actually the technicality has stirred up quite a bit of local "discussion". The area has been an unofficial roaming ground for years and the Land Bank has stepped in and tightened up the restrictions since taking over. No doubt for the better health of the place but some dislike the extra rules. There are some beautiful off trail rambles that are now off limits.