Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rockport State Park 1/25/09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun Jan 25, 2009 7:22 pm 
Today we felt like going to take a trip up North to see the Eagles and take a short hike through Rockport State Park. The boys didn't want to snowshoe this weekend so a hike at a low elevation old growth forest would be perfect! We went through Darrington to get a view of a few eagles along the rivers in that area. Once we got to highway 20, we stopped off at a park and looked for somemore. The boys were pretty excited everytime we saw one. They are pretty big birds. We got to Rockport State Park and got a map of the park. I looked it over and decided that we should do all 5 trails that pretty much can be connected to make one bigger loop hike. We started off on the Evergreen trail through a forest of nice, big firs. There was hard compact snow on the trail about 8" deep in places, so it was not a problem at all. There were also several down branches but nothing too serious to go around. After a couple miles, we hit a junction for the interpretive loop and went around it and then through the campground towards the Fern Creek trail. After that one, we made our way through the woods and over the highway 20 to the southern part of the park. This had 2 short trails, the Skagit View and Sauk Springs. There were some impressive trees but not very good views of the Skagit river. The moss was extremely green throughout the park, that was a nice contrast to the snow on the ground. It was a very nice piece of old growth forest saved in this lowland area. Trip stats-4.5 miles and about 700' elevation gain
long moss
long moss
big doug firs
big doug firs
the boys going under a huge fir
the boys going under a huge fir
a little light coming through
a little light coming through
a stream going under a tree root
a stream going under a tree root
big cedar
big cedar

Eric Eames
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostSun Jan 25, 2009 7:29 pm 
Ditooooo that area ROCKS..

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostSun Jan 25, 2009 10:28 pm 
That's a neat place to go. It's always quiet there (except for the road). The trees are wonderful, and the moss, and the little streams.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Jan 25, 2009 10:46 pm 
I totally forgot about this place. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. up.gif Big trees rockband.gif

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostMon Jan 26, 2009 4:07 am 
Comrades, Next time you go from Rockport to Darrington you might try the old Sauk-Concrete River Road downriver from Darrignton. I think it is about 6-7 miles on the Rockport Highway when you cross the river(left) on an old metal bridge. Soon after the bridge is an old county park that doesn't get much business in the off season. The road eventually dumps out onto Hwy 20 near Concrete and Rockport State Park after some beautiful valley/farm views. Just nice for a change. Probably takes longer. Check locally after big snow or rain though. Tom

loper

loper
PostMon Jan 26, 2009 6:16 pm 
Beautiful! Very nice way to spend the day with the kids! L

Jeepasaurusrex

Jeepasaurusrex
PostMon Jan 26, 2009 6:24 pm 
tmatlack wrote:
Comrades, Next time you go from Rockport to Darrington you might try the old Sauk-Concrete River Road downriver from Darrignton. I think it is about 6-7 miles on the Rockport Highway when you cross the river(left) on an old metal bridge. Soon after the bridge is an old county park that doesn't get much business in the off season. The road eventually dumps out onto Hwy 20 near Concrete and Rockport State Park after some beautiful valley/farm views. Just nice for a change. Probably takes longer. Check locally after big snow or rain though. Tom
My Parents live on that road. Thats where I grew up at. X2 on checking after rain or snow. That road has a lot of slides and trees that come down. Just make sure that as you get close to Concrete, you go right at the Y and across the Dalles bridge. That will take you to Hwy 20. Make sure your doing 35mph after the bridge, as the county sheriff likes to nab people on that road. If you take the left at the Y, you end up on the South Skagit Hwy. It in itself isn't a bad drive, but it takes forever. You will end up coming out just south of Sedro-Woolley on Hwy 9.

"I would like to see things from your point of view, but I cannot get my head that far up my butt"
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostTue Jan 27, 2009 3:56 am 
Jeep, Closer to the county park my hound and I explored a very very muddy single track that let to a small campsite down by the river. Signs of much partying. Did you ever pop a brewski or cavort with the ladies back there? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Tom

aywolfpac

aywolfpac
PostThu Jan 29, 2009 2:09 pm 
If you really wanna take the long, scenic route from Concrete to Darrington, take the Concrete-Sauk Road to Finney Creek Road, then to Segelsen Road and up over the pass. Lots of nice views and some really prett wildflowers in the spring/summer.

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostThu Jan 29, 2009 6:58 pm 
aywolfpac wrote:
If you really wanna take the long, scenic route from Concrete to Darrington, take the Concrete-Sauk Road to Finney Creek Road, then to Segelsen Road and up over the pass. Lots of nice views and some really prett wildflowers in the spring/summer.
Will do. Thanks. Will have to wait for less snow though! The side roads sucked up north. Tom