Forum Index > Gear Talk > Danner hiking boots?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Feb 03, 2009 2:50 pm 
I thought I would open the gates to any and all thoughts and criticism BEFORE pulling the trigger on a purchase, for a change. biggrin.gif I came into a tiny bit of money(patent award....I get a couple hundred, company gets millions) to spend frivolously.(before it gets sucked into the household budget vortex) Oddly enough my thoughts drifted to hiking stuff....imagine that! I do love my Montrails, but in my size 12 Wides, they weigh 4.3 pounds. Thats a lot of weight to be lifting thousands of times per hike. I have WIDE feet of ample length and a fair amount of weight dropping on them (over 200 pounds with daypack) and I ONLY DAYHIKE. FULLY prepared dayhiking and range in the 10-15mile range. I have duck feet. Wide in front and flat. Tried Garmonts Fit great... fell apart in 3 hikes. Checked the reviews and tried on many different boots lately. But I kept coming up with totally inconsistent quality and durability on all the widetracker boots that are now all made in China. Even the Lowa Renegade at $200 are said to often blow their stitching after a few hikes. LIMMERS OR CUSTOM ARE NOT AN OPTION. I already have 4.3 pound boots. Then I stumbled across the MADE IN USA Danners. Offered in a nice WIDE made fer Amurikans last. And seem to get fairly constistent results for durability IN THE CONTEXT of 99% of the boots under 5 pounds a pair being disposable. (Danner does have some resolable ones too). Odd thing is the reviews are only available on a couple models. Reviews seem good when they are there. ("some break in needed" seems to be the main complaint) And they are HARD to find in local stores, other than their work boots, hunting boots or the 453 model. Anyone here have experience with the lighter Danners for relatively easy on-trail, pack loads below 20 pounds hiking? The 453 seems to be the hot choice for hiking. I tried on a pair and with the wrong socks the 453 creased funny on my toes, which was NOT a problem with their super tall and heavy "hunting" boots. I am going for a rematch, bringing my hiking socks this time. Although it shakes me up that the best selection is at the local Joes around the corner from my house....NOT the place I usually go for quality equipment. [http://www.danner.com/product/outdoor+boots/cross+hiker/danner+453+gtx+dark+tan+hiking+boots.do]Danner 453 GTX goretex[/url] The other one of their shoes that I stumbled across that REALLY intrigues me for a superlight NWsummer boot, verging on a trail runner, but with better support is their police issue boot....available only in black and only weighing 38oz in a high top gore tex. Danner Pursuit goretex remember...WIDE feet, lightweight, not Limmers agree.gif Any thoughts....or even better...any experiences? thanks!

friluftsliv
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue Feb 03, 2009 4:15 pm 
You state that you only dayhike, so you're presumably not carrying 40-50 pound packs or doing serious mountaineering, situations which do require boots. Here are a couple of questions for you to think about: Have you tried a good pair of really supportive trail runners? I just switched from boots to trail runners and will never go back, except in snow. I hesitated to switch because of ankle issues, until I found that, no matter how hard I try, I can't turn an ankle deliberately in my Montrail Hardrocks. Have you had experience with getting goretex-lined boots wet (going in over the top or, as in my case, falling during a difficult stream ford while wearing Crocs and carrying the boots)? My own experience is that once a goretex-lined boot gets wet inside, it takes 2-3 days (open to warm sun and wind) to dry inside. A non-goretex trail runner will dry in an hour or two of hiking. Even when the boots were dry, my feet were always soggy from sweat inside the goretex (I've never had much luck with any "breathable" waterproof materials), so it's a new and unexpected experience to have dry feet for most of the day. I'd suggest you try trail runners before investing in another pair of boots. Your feet will love you! In fact, I've ditched the regular running shoes I wear at home (actually more expensive) and wear my trail runners all the time. Your mileage may vary, but I strongly recommend a trial!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
overmywaders

overmywaders
PostTue Feb 03, 2009 6:40 pm 
Boot up, I have experience with the Danner 6490 which became the Danner Mountain Light, which later morphed into the Danner Mountain Light II. Although the Mountain Light II has a Goretex liner rather than a comfortable, practical, leather lining; the boot itself is not pieced together from scraps the way so many are today. It even has "stitched-down construction" and can be re-soled. Made in USA and available in your size.
This site has the best price GSA

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue Feb 03, 2009 7:44 pm 
I loved my original Danner Mt.. They were a Summer/fabric boot which got my wool socks slightly wet in the late season snow -No big deal in the Summer. Very comfortable for my wide feet.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostTue Feb 03, 2009 8:07 pm 
I'm a big Danner fan because I have wide/flat feet. I've also been happy with my pair of Garmont trail runners. I found this thread particularly helpful.

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
shadetree

shadetree
PostTue Feb 03, 2009 8:13 pm 
The Mountain Lite II, the Explorer and Danner Lite II are the only danner hiking boots currently made in the US. The rest are made in china.

shadetree

shadetree
PostTue Feb 03, 2009 8:15 pm 
Try whistle work wear The usually have an exellent selection of danner boots.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Feb 03, 2009 8:36 pm 
shadetree wrote:
The Mountain Lite II, the Explorer and Danner Lite II are the only danner hiking boots currently made in the US. The rest are made in china.
I was looking through tags tonight on boots. Sad to say that most of the Danners(limited selection at Joe's) are now made in China, including the legendary wide tracker 453's. Very odd sampling is still made in the USA. I noticed some of the work boots are still made in the USA. But according to reviews, they somehow seem to be maintaining some quality control in china...for now. I have to admit it.... I fell for the 453's tonight. quasi-stitched soles(probably NOT replaceable), suprisingly stiff sole, and I saved 3/4 pound over my size 12 wide Montrails. (453's are patchwork construction but double stitched at least) Still plenty of room for my duck feet but heels felt good. Reviews say the insoles are actually useable in the 453's, and after looking at them I think I will NOT automatically replace them. Still disposable...but so are my heavier montrails. The 453's just felt GOOD to me, once I got my "normal" socks in them. They do need a tiny bit of breaking in, which I consider to be a good sign of not being too flimsy. I checked out some low cut Danner goretex Exo's that are on sale for only $80. Seemed like a REALLY nice superlight but super stable trail runner shoe. Unfortunately D width just doesn't cut it for me and they didn't have the mid-height model, so I had to pass. Good deal though. Seemed like more aggressive and thicker tread than the 453's! Still pondering the luxury of a pair of hot weather superlight boots for WIDE feet and quick release ankles. How long have you had the Garmont trail runners? I liked the fit of the Garmont boots, but they only lasted a couple of hikes for me.

friluftsliv
Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostTue Feb 03, 2009 9:46 pm 
Quote:
I bought a pair of boots today
I posted that March 1st 2007 - so it has been almost two years. The trail runners are still in excellent shape and worked out fine as hiking boots. However they are not practical in the snow & thus didn't see a lot of alpine use.. That's not to say I haven't used them, on the contrary they have become a defacto pair of 'sneakers' and I wear them almost every day.

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
BirdDog

BirdDog
PostWed Feb 04, 2009 12:40 pm 
Can't vouch for Danner's hiking boots, but I wear their work boots everyday in construction and a pair last me about 3-4 years with 2-3 resoles.

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Teddy Roosevelt August 6, 1912
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Feb 04, 2009 3:16 pm 
I am trying to figure out why Danners seem like they haven't caught on in the hiking crowd. Maybe its just because REI doesn't carry them? And certainly being sold at Joe's does NOT score points with the hiking elite. biggrin.gif The Danner brand seems to have quite a good reputation with construction, military, police and hunting crowd. But hikers mostly draw a blank on the mention of the Brand. Seems odd. Initial impression of my Danner 453 boots on my first lunchtime break-in walk is VERY nice potential as a relatively lightweight "heavy duty" dayhiker boot. Definitely need some break-in, especially around the ankle collar as a number of reviews have mentioned. But my wide trackers are settling in nicely to their footbeds and insoles...REALLY nicely. Only preliminary impressions though. Note the link referenced above in someone's post is to my original review of my Garmont experiment, which started out great, and then went horribly wrong. I have no qualms about praising a good product that works well for me.... or dissing one that doesn't work for me. Those Danner Pursuit GTX goretex are sure tempting as a summer boot, even more so based on my 453's so far, which are definitely warm.

friluftsliv
MadCapLaughs

MadCapLaughs
PostWed Feb 04, 2009 5:17 pm 
Have you checked out Keen? They make light hikers and are shaped like duck feet. I've never had a pair of their hikers, but I have a pair of their casual shoes and they are very comfortable. Worth a look.

dgleighton
What the...

dgleighton
What the...
PostWed Feb 04, 2009 6:17 pm 
I've had 2 pair of the 453's in the past. I used them for work. Got around 1 1/2 years out of them. This was 40-50 hours a week on my feet with them.

TeeJay
Sofa King

TeeJay
Sofa King
PostWed Feb 04, 2009 7:44 pm 
Make sure any Danner boot you buy is made here in the US. I ignorantly bought a pair of the steel toe work boots and suffered the plight of cheap, mass produced workmanship. I'd consider a pair of their US made boots but a Danner steel toe is hard to find...and better US made steel toes can be found at a better price....like Hoffmans. I've considered the mountain light hikers myself, but after my experience I'm a little apprehensive about pulling the trigger on another Danner boot.

It is not in the nature of politics that the best men should be elected. The best men do not want to govern their fellowmen. -- George MacDonald
Lono

Lono
PostWed Feb 04, 2009 7:59 pm 
I have a pair of Danners, darned if I can remember the model - a GTX, the ones that aren't resolable, but are darn waterproof. A good boot, I nearly got a blister the first time out with them but after adjusting socks they've been great ever since. More supportive than my Lowa light trail hikers which I tend to live in, and a better boot for snow, although I don't think they're spec'd for that. One idea on fit and what model to get - go down to the Danner outlet store at their factory in Portland (3 hrs), and try a bunch on. They have first line boots and factory seconds, you might find a real bargain for your wide foot, and the people there are very nice and knowledgeable. Plus no sales tax if you buy something. As I recall the store is just across the river east of Portland Intl Airport, just web search and something will turn up.