Forum Index > Trail Talk > Outdoor related personal safety / guns / hunting
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostWed Oct 11, 2017 4:33 am 
REMINDER: SATURDAY, OCT. 14 - General hunting season opens for deer across the state. Prudence suggests a bit of blaze orange. up.gif wink.gif

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostFri Dec 08, 2017 4:10 pm 
who's looking to talk some guns these days?

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostMon Dec 18, 2017 4:46 am 
BigBrunyon wrote:
who's looking to talk some guns these days?
If it's trail-related, outdoor-related, sure. If something else, not so much.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostFri May 18, 2018 7:13 pm 
FIVE WHOLE MONTHS without a single entry to this thread? I am shocked...SHOCKED.. winksmile.gif

the1mitch

the1mitch
PostSun May 20, 2018 4:39 pm 
I'd curious to hear how many NWhikers are also hunters? Does anybody have a sense of that %? I am an avid reader (daily) as well as a hunter. I don't check this topic often because I expect to read a lot of negativity toward us armed citizens. Like so many public places, the loudest folks get the most press, space etc. Be safe out there.

illegitimi non carborundum!
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun May 20, 2018 9:11 pm 
the1mitch wrote:
I'd curious to hear how many NWhikers are also hunters?
I used to, but just about every field in the state is posted anymore so I don't bother. Pheasant hunting was my favorite.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostTue May 22, 2018 10:30 am 
the1mitch wrote:
I'd curious to hear how many NWhikers are also hunters? Does anybody have a sense of that %? I am an avid reader (daily) as well as a hunter. I don't check this topic often because I expect to read a lot of negativity toward us armed citizens. Like so many public places, the loudest folks get the most press, space etc. Be safe out there.
As an old guy, I still hunt, and enjoy a good stretch of the legs now and then. Hiking, I learned years ago, doesn't mean restricting one's self to a trail used by a gazillion other people. I've discovered some remarkable spots away from trails. Besides, that's where the game is normally. Not so much "negativity." There appear to be several gun-toting souls hereabouts. winksmile.gif

the1mitch

the1mitch
PostTue May 22, 2018 11:24 am 
Our hunting crew has code words for the folks who stick to roads, nicer ones for those who walk trails, and terms like "hunter" for the guys and gals who you run into off trail. Mitch

illegitimi non carborundum!
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostWed May 23, 2018 4:40 am 
the1mitch wrote:
Our hunting crew has code words for the folks who stick to roads, nicer ones for those who walk trails, and terms like "hunter" for the guys and gals who you run into off trail. Mitch
Ah. Pleased to meet you. up.gif biggrin.gif

HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostMon Jun 11, 2018 12:00 pm 
Yup, deer hunter here... mostly walking, once in a while perched on a stump, never just driving around... Cheers,

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostSun Aug 05, 2018 6:39 pm 
REMINDER: GROUSE, ARCHERY deer seasons open Sept. 1. Black Bear hunting is already open in several areas.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Aug 08, 2018 4:41 pm 
HikerJohn wrote:
once in a while perched on a stump, never just driving around...
When I used to hunt deer with dad (and grand dad when he still could), this was my favorite. Scouting the area beforehand, selecting the "best" location, and hiking in and waiting. I still have the memory of my favorite stump of all times, but I couldn't find it now if I had to. It's been over 50 years since I sat there with dad and grandpa. It's somewhere in the hills east of Coburg, Oregon.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostFri Aug 10, 2018 5:14 pm 
My actual 'hiking season' starts about now. Scouting, checking on game populations, fair amount of off-trail travel. It's the time of year when skeeters aren't too bad. And maybe, just maybe, I get to spend a night listening to the trees grow. Reminder: Grouse hunting and archery open Sept. 1. Rabbit, too, though I don't normally shoot a bunny until after the first frost. Be extra careful out there with fire. Conditions are extreme. up.gif

Vertec

Vertec
PostSat Sep 08, 2018 7:26 am 
New here... Not a hunter (yet) but big into photography. Recently chose to add extra safety equipment after running into a stoner carrying a knife. Made me realize hocking my DSLR can keep him high for at least a few months. Problem solved.

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.
D.B. Cooper

D.B. Cooper
PostThu Oct 04, 2018 7:58 pm 
Anybody else find themselves carrying more than they used to when in the woods? There's been two cougar fatalities this year and the aggressive black bear at Goat Lake. Have there been others? I'm sure there will be more. There's more people than ever in the mountains so I imagine some animals are losing their natural fear of people. This recent report at WTA helps illustrate the point.. If he had a gun he could have continued his hike. Anyway I've been carrying a G19 in a Hill People Gear Recon kit bag. I've been grouse hunting a few times in which case I only had my .22 with me. I guess it's better than nothing. I'll probably step up to a G20.4 at some point.