Forum Index > Trail Talk > Outdoor related personal safety / guns / hunting
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Mar 17, 2017 5:33 pm 
The gun isn't new, just the license. When I got it 3.5 years ago, I went with a friend to test it out, put a hundred rounds through it, get a feel for it. I like the long, hard trigger pull, makes it easy to not shoot until ready. I was able to hit a paper plate four out of six times, at 25 feet, rapid firing. Not spectacular, but I feel safe from paper plates anyway. lol I also like the mild kick, and the inexpensive ammo. But mostly I like the light weight and that it is invisible in a pants pocket even with a holster that covers the trigger, made by Grovtec http://www.grovtec.com/catalog/holster-systems/inside-the-pocket-holsters-196/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed May 10, 2017 8:59 pm 
That's an interesting little something. This guy likes it.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu May 18, 2017 7:43 am 
Slugman wrote:
I just got my WA CPL. Yay! First ever for me
Ok Sluggo, what gives? Why the change of perspective? Dont get me wrong, Im happy for you. The more people capable of protecting themselves the better. up.gif While I'm not criticizing your decision, I've always believed that "IF" you're going to chose to carry a defensive weapon it should be as powerful as you can comfortably handle. Personally that means at a minimum 9mm. I mostly carry and 1911 .45. To make the point, if God forbid you ever have to use that gun to defend yourself, and it happens to be winter time the heavy clothes the "Bad guy" is apt to be wearing will negatively effect that .380. Again, Im happy to see you carrying. Now get some practice. You can never have to much. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostSun Jun 18, 2017 8:46 am 
Probably shouldn't allow one whole month to go by without some sort of goofy post in this thread. biggrin.gif Food for thought. https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/wildlife/2017/06/14/3-injured-by-brown-bear-at-eagle-river-campground/ http://www.liveoutdoors.com/news/240665-alaskan-fishing-guide-kills-grizzly-with-9mm/#/slide/1
Alaska is a place where people should probably have one. Elsewhere, up to you.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 9:18 pm 
Nice rig there Dave. Good points as well. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostSat Jul 01, 2017 8:09 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Nice rig there Dave. Good points as well. up.gif
Thx. The "peak" of the season is upon us with the weather improving (finally!) and vacation season unfolding. It's also very active with wildlife out all over the place. There have been a growing number of bear encounters this year, at least I've seen more reports, so as I head out over the next several days for some much needed R&R, that sidearm or some other sidearm will be going along. Need to get back into better shape, which takes longer for an old guy wink.gif so I may be showing up at a tree near one of you guys. Gasping for air biggrin.gif

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN
PostSat Jul 01, 2017 6:28 pm 
I've already had 4 bear sightings this year and I've barely gotten out. They are lurking hard this year

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jul 02, 2017 3:35 pm 
I picked up a Smith MODEL 329PD a few years ago. It carries WONDERFULLY, and shoots SCARY! LOL.
329pd
329pd

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostThu Jul 06, 2017 5:23 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I picked up a Smith MODEL 329PD a few years ago. It carries WONDERFULLY, and shoots SCARY! LOL.
329pd
329pd
That's a decent, and relatively trail-friendly lightweight revolver with a punch. Best trail gun in the world is the one you never have to clean, because you never have to use it. For the trail, I'd use the rubber grips. Those look like Hogues and they are tough as nails. Take a fall, nothing gets cracked or scratched. Work in cold weather, snow, rain, summer sweat...

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jul 06, 2017 8:23 am 
Thanks Dave. Buffalo Bore makes a round specifically for this gun. I switched the grips after getting her out of the box.

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostMon Jul 10, 2017 4:36 am 
Well, considering the headlines lately about bear attacks (others may call them "encounters," but when teeth get sunk, that's an attack), having a sidearm in the back country may not be such a dumb idea. Down in Colorado, you don't even have to be in the back country, it appears: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/front-range/boulder/bear-attacks-camper-at-glacier-view-ranch-christian-retreat-northwest-of-boulder Say, has anybody seen Alfred Hitchcock lately? rolleyes.gif paranoid.gif

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostTue Jul 25, 2017 2:41 pm 
Note that the story responsible for this thread didn't end well. It's what the lady did; went to get the neighbor...and what the neighbor did.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jul 25, 2017 9:33 pm 
Ya, see Dave, you and me would have at least shot a round at the ground to scare the cat off. If that didnt work, kill the cat. Tools. Tools. Tools. Guns are tools to help you, and your dog! hockeygrin.gif

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostWed Jul 26, 2017 5:09 am 
Hey oh wise experts - so what would be a good, light weight pistol option with minimal recoil for a small framed hiker, for defending stock animals against coyotes on the trail?

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostFri Jul 28, 2017 5:10 am 
Kat wrote:
Hey oh wise experts - so what would be a good, light weight pistol option with minimal recoil for a small framed hiker, for defending stock animals against coyotes on the trail?
Hmmmmm. Light weight with minimal recoil. Ruger LCR in .22 Magnum, but it is double-action only, and you might want to change the grip. Lots of used revolvers out there, too, in .22 Magnum or .38 Special +P. Ruger, Smith & Wesson or Taurus are your best bets. All very reliable. When you ask for light weight and minimal recoil, that might narrow your choices, depending upon what you consider "light" weight and "minimal" recoil. It works out to a compromise of some sort. My typical trail gun is a .357 Magnum snubby that weighs more than 30 ounces. It's a boomer, with recoil and stopping power.
Good for the trail
Good for the trail
Revolvers are always better for the trail because all one needs to make them work is loose ammunition. No magazine to worry about losing or damaging. With coyotes, even if you miss, they're history. The sound of the shot sends them running. If they come back, there's something wrong with them, and then you're pretty much forced to shoot them.