Forum Index > Trip Reports > Union on 2-1-09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
nixs

nixs
PostSat Feb 07, 2009 2:16 am 
This is my first time posting. biggrin.gif Thanks to Tazz I am now a member of the site! Anyway, I know that this trip report is way to late to offer any useful information about conditions, but maybe it will be amusing for some of you! Tazz, Dicey, Yana, and I left the car at about 8 am (I think) from the parking on hwy 2. We didn't use snowshoes until cutting the switchback on FSR 6700 and had very little post holing. Travel was quick and easy... We left the road at the hairpin and started up following what appeared to be the trail left by a large heard of elephants wearing snowshoes! Travel was still fairly easy, but the varied snow conditions and (in spots) thick frozen crust made for some slipping and struggle in the steeper sections. When we reached the peak it was still quite cold and powdery, the sun had only peeked through the clouds infrequently. We still had fair visibility...maybe Tazz will grace us with some of the great pictures she always takes!! Tazz and I stayed on the summit of Union while Dicey and Yana dashed over to tag Jove...I'll let them tell you about that if they wish. Me and Tazz had a good old time racing snowballs off the summit, enjoying the scenery, taking pictures, and trying to keep warm until the other two returned. On the way down I elected to retire my snowshoes in favor of post holing, just got tired of slipping on the crust! We made good time getting out and we were (I think) the only group up on the peak that day...probably on account of the Super Bowl! Well, this will be the first of many TRs for me...I hope to get out this Sunday in the Columbia Gorge, will let you know how it goes!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
harrymalamute

harrymalamute
PostSat Feb 07, 2009 11:42 am 
welcome to the family nixs. first rule is pictures,must have pictures with circles and arrows pointing to the evidence. winksmile.gif

hikes and climbs with malamute
Tazz

Tazz
PostSat Feb 07, 2009 9:55 pm 
Thanks for the report nix. I wish i could have done Jove too but my pack on my bad shoulder was giving me a hard time. It was fun to just hang out and play in the snow. Thanks to the herd of folks who went up the day before as it made our work much easier. not any good pics really, but here are some for those who can't read a report without them (Harry wink.gif ). fun times again!
Is this Daniel?
Is this Daniel?
Jove
Jove
Jove
Jove
nix
nix
dicey and Yana working their way up Jove
dicey and Yana working their way up Jove
On the summit of Jove
On the summit of Jove

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Feb 07, 2009 11:42 pm 
tazz wrote:
Is this Daniel?
Yep

Tazz

Tazz
PostSat Feb 07, 2009 11:49 pm 
ha! biggrin.gif Thanks Tom. Thats what I thought. What a beautiful peak from all angles. I want to climb it again but from pea soup this time. agree.gif

Tazz

Tazz
PostSun Feb 08, 2009 9:59 am 
what do you do when waiting 3 hours for your partners to bag another peak? Snow ball racing! these snowballs are 1-2 inches and made from just walking along. Some would just go poof when the breeze picked up. yup i am a freak! biggrin.gif the time went by fast though... lol.gif

TrailPair

TrailPair
PostSun Feb 08, 2009 10:11 am 
harrymalamute wrote:
welcome to the family nixs. first rule is pictures,must have pictures with circles and arrows pointing to the evidence. winksmile.gif
.....and shoe shots! agree.gif

This thing called work is interfering with my play
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostSun Feb 08, 2009 8:34 pm 
tazz wrote:
On the summit of Jove
On the summit of Jove
Wow. Nice zoom. smile.gif

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!