Forum Index > Trip Reports > Conditioning up Mailbox Peak
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Feb 10, 2009 11:32 am 
Nordic wrote:
That was exactly my thought when I first saw Quark's post but being a person with a rather small post count, I didn't want to disagree with someone with 10K+ posts... wink.gif
Funny I vaguely remember a guy who ran a forum who's motto was post count means nothing and thus he changed the software so it wouldn't show the post counts.... It was probably for the very example you stated. All a large post count means to me personally is that you have been around a long time and like to talk a lot or some combination of the two lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostTue Feb 10, 2009 12:09 pm 
Yes, the exercise component is great, but I live for the views along the way. If you are just racing to beat a prior time, it's just not as much fun. That is what my dad always did - checked his watch before setting out with the aim of beating his best time. To me, that just wasn't fun. I want to enjoy the fresh air, views, and the company I'm with - or just enjoy the solitude if I'm out alone. In the winter, it's nice to go to those closer destinations as they still have views and a workout to offer. Even the places along I-90 with the nasty clearcuts have some element of beauty to them - especially in the winter.

tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Feb 10, 2009 12:57 pm 
Highwalker's Daughter wrote:
Yes, the exercise component is great, but I live for the views along the way. If you are just racing to beat a prior time, it's just not as much fun. That is what my dad always did - checked his watch before setting out with the aim of beating his best time. To me, that just wasn't fun. I want to enjoy the fresh air, views, and the company I'm with - or just enjoy the solitude if I'm out alone. In the winter, it's nice to go to those closer destinations as they still have views and a workout to offer. Even the places along I-90 with the nasty clearcuts have some element of beauty to them - especially in the winter.
I guess for me it depends on the trip. A quick after work evening hike might be more about the exercise/getting/keeping in shape so I can better enjoy the longer weekend trips. As a rule I'm not trying to race up anything.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostTue Feb 10, 2009 5:22 pm 
GeoTom wrote:
Josh- You didn't happen to see a letter addressed to me in the mailbox, did you? hmmm.gif
I did see one! smile.gif But I'm not sure if it was yours.... In all honestly, I regret going.... Ever since getting kicked out.... it was'nt worth it.... the hike was, but the other part was'nt. Perhaps I'm to irresponsible. hmmm.gif rolleyes.gif

Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostTue Feb 10, 2009 5:27 pm 
Yeah, I have to admit to just doing exercise for the exercise. During the work week, I can't really go anywhere so I walk the neighborhood. While there are some nice views here and there, it is a bit boring now, but it does stretch out the muscles and maintain the fitness level somewhat. Even after all these years, though, the kayaking on the lake - especially on starry nights never gets old as an enjoyable form of exercise along with soaking in beauty to refresh my soul. If I'm driving to a place, however, I prefer to choose one for the views rather than slogging through trees most or all of the way. I am not a big fan of hikes like Si and Dickerman for that reason - no payoff until almost the top. They are my ideas of "conditioning" rather than done more for the real pleasure of being surrounded by endless meadows and peaks. I do want to get up Mailbox and Teneriffe, etc. at least once even though they don't sound much different than Si. I like views most of the way - guess I was spoiled by mainly doing North Cascades and Olympic hikes as a child as well as places like the Yosemite Circuit and the area near Jackson Hole.

Paulie59

Paulie59
PostTue Feb 10, 2009 7:51 pm 
Last year, started off with Si...then a 'Mailbox'..(looked for the whiskey, scotch, or whatever was supposed to be in there - but could not find it.. bawl.gif ) But then, always end up going up Camp Muir every week loaded with jugs of water-weight for 'training'. ( Pass it out to climbers who are boiling their water...they will love you...You will be "The Water God") Each time, on the Muir climb, when I start wondering, " WHY am I doing this!!?", I just turn around and see the surroundings...."Yes! This is why!"

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Feb 10, 2009 9:41 pm 
Paulie59 wrote:
Pass it out to climbers who are boiling their water...they will love you...You will be "The Water God
That's a lot of work for an ego stroke!

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSun Aug 23, 2009 2:27 pm 
You know, I thought about this a lot, and this trip was a huge turning point in my life! Because I got kicked out of OSAT climbing coarse, I became even more ambicious than ever, and wanted to hike as many mountains even if I was exausted before the trip (hint hint Jolly Mountain). Infact there's a certain irony, I was more tired going up Jolly and not summiting than climbing Mount Baker! BUT..... the time before I did Jolly it wasn't too bad because I did not tire my self out before the trip. And then after I lost some rep with the EastKing, then I was even more hungry for hikes because I was not able to get out much, so which was why the Camp Muir White out turned out the way it did, I was crazy for mountains then. And then after that I went for a 140 mile bike ride because again I was not able to hike for a long time, I figured no one would know, but the opposite happend. And then I attempted Rainier which could have worked out.... but I well kinda messed up in ways. But Mount Baker was a success, and I now feel a turning point coming! up.gif So I sure as well hope that this is the end of the constance of stuggle! biggrin.gif

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSun Aug 23, 2009 10:07 pm 
It was a random rememberance so I explained the importance of the trip. You know, a solution is to not reply to threads and leave it to go down. wink.gif clown.gif Unless secretly you find entertainment out of it. hmmm.gif tongue.gif Well I guess I could always not reply to my posts... hockeygrin.gif

mossy mom

mossy mom
PostSun Aug 23, 2009 11:15 pm 
Flow wrote:
It was a random rememberance so I explained the importance of the trip. You know, a solution is to not reply to threads and leave it to go down. wink.gif clown.gif Unless secretly you find entertainment out of it. hmmm.gif tongue.gif Well I guess I could always not reply to my posts... hockeygrin.gif
Josh, didn't you just come back from a hike? Please post a new TR soon! naughty.gif Never EVEr run your posts through a spell checker.. your spelling trolls ignite the mob every time.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostMon Aug 24, 2009 1:27 pm 
As for the trip report.... should I type up the 20 page version, or should I try to summerize it as best as possible?

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostMon Aug 24, 2009 8:11 pm 
Where is your TR????

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Nisquaww
Hot balls

Nisquaww
Hot balls
PostWed Aug 26, 2009 6:35 pm 
baaaaahahahah. oh man thats a cute baby.

"Why do you have a beard?" "I don't have a beard. It's just the light; it plays funny tricks." ~ Shel Silverstein
KayJEph

KayJEph
PostWed Aug 26, 2009 6:47 pm 
Nancy L. Snyderman M.D. wrote:
A recent study from Harvard University shows that baby fat might not be that cute after all.
http://bewell.com/ArticleDetail.aspx?id=1758&type=1