Forum Index > Trip Reports > MTTA - Copper Creek Hut - XC Ski - 2.15.2009
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostMon Feb 16, 2009 1:13 pm 
Located between Elbe and Ashford, the Mount Tahoma Trails Association offers 50 miles of ski trails... with 20 of the miles being groomed... and if that isn't enough, they have 3 huts (really cabins) and a yurt interspersed throughout the trail system that are available for both day and overnight use... check out their website at MTTA. Denali Girl and I have done the High Hut several times in nice weather... however, with very limited views today, we decided to give the Copper Creek Hut a try. Starting from the North District's middle sno-park (3200') it is ~4 miles to the hut (4200')... the first 2.5 miles is mostly flat with a few ups and downs... with most of the elevation gain occurring in the final 1.5 miles. If you don't particularly like flat terrain skiing, I would recommend the High Hut trip which is roughly the same mileage as the Copper Creek Hut, but gains ~2500 feet of elevation. A sno-park permit is required to use the MTTA trail system... however, a "groomed" permit is not required. Photos from our ski trip to the Copper Creek Hut. ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostMon Feb 16, 2009 1:49 pm 
huh.gif Those are some lavish accomodations for a hut

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostMon Feb 16, 2009 5:09 pm 
Is snow shoeing ok there too? I'm assuming I just have to stay to the sides of tracks?

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostMon Feb 16, 2009 5:19 pm 
jan... I saw several people snowshoeing... and the road is definitely wide enough to accommodate snowshoeing... click on the link I provided above for the MTTA website and if you don't see any info on snowshoeing, send them an email.

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------