Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Catherine, sponsored by Blue Diamond Almonds; 2/14/09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSun Feb 15, 2009 9:33 am 
Trip overview: Snowshoers: Ingunn, JK, silly_traveler and GeoTom Bare paw walkers: Jasper the chewer of sticks Map: Green Trails #207 Snoqualmie Pass (but I left it at home) Access: Interstate 90 > Exit 54 (Hyak) Trails: Nordic Pass trail Mileage: Previous reports call it 9 or 10. Elevation Gain: ~2,700 with the ups and downs. Corporate sponsor: Blue Diamond Almonds (ok, they haven't actually agreed to a sponsorship deal yet).
Trip Details: After finally recovering from last weekend's hatefest with Yana and cleaning Jasper from his roll in the poop, I decided to go on another snowshoe trip with silly_traveler. Originally we thought about heading to Blewett Pass, but neither one of us was enthused about the drive so we settled on what is becoming an annual trip for me: Mt. Catherine via the Nordic Pass Trail. Ingunn and JK had expressed an interest in joining us, so we met up at the Hyak parking lot and managed to squeeze into one of the few hundred remaining spaces. After the short road walk to the start of the trail, we put our snowshoes on and started following the route to Hyak Lake. There was a faint trace of previous snowshoers and skiers, but not a very deep trench. Not to worry, the snow was fairly consolidated and we didn't sink much. The route is fairly easy to follow, just look for the blue diamonds on the trees:
Jasper gives advice
Jasper gives advice
Jasper follows silly_traveler and Ingunn
Jasper follows silly_traveler and Ingunn
The route crosses some of the cross country trail network and the downhill crossover runs between Ski Acres and Hyak (Summit Central and Summit East), but there was very little activity on those trails today. Eventually we crossed I-90 (the main crossover trail) and ascended the last bit to Hyak Lake, which was frozen over.
Hyak Lake
Hyak Lake
When Jasper attacks
When Jasper attacks
We took a short break at the lake to eat, then continued on our way to Nordic Pass. Soon we made it to the BPA power line corridor and got our first good look at Mt. Catherine. We wisely chose to continue on the route to Nordic Pass rather than attempt the direct route up Catherine from here.
Mt. Catherine
Mt. Catherine
I lost the blue diamond path for a short bit through the power line corridor, but remembered from previous visits where it continued on the other side. Soon enough we were back on track, following the blue diamonds to Nordic Pass. I kept telling Ingunn that 'We're almost to Nordic Pass'. I don't think she believed me after the third or fourth time I said it. huh.gif
Follow the blue diamonds
Follow the blue diamonds
Trail maintenance or extreme hunger?
Trail maintenance or extreme hunger?
We did eventually reach Nordic Pass and stopped to eat again. I spotted the Nordic Pass sign on a tree, but it was ~10 feet off the snow surface. It was below eye level the previous times I had been at this same spot. The vote was 4-0 to continue on to Mt. Catherine. Jasper abstained from voting as he was too concentrated on finding food.
Food break at Nordic Pass
Food break at Nordic Pass
Feed me please
Feed me please
That sandwich looks good
That sandwich looks good
From Nordic Pass we diverted from the blue diamond route that continues to Windy Pass and headed instead for the westren ridge of Mt. Catherine. There were a couple steepish sections, but nothing we couldn't manage, at least on the ascent. Occasionally we caught glimpses of previous snowshoe and ski tracks. The ascent went fairly quickly and I turned to tell Ingunn 'We're almost to the top'. Not sure if she bought it though after the Nordic Pass false alarms. lol.gif The skies had also turned from mostly gray to partly sunny to mostly sunny as we ascended. cool.gif
Battle on the ridge
Battle on the ridge
Steep section
Steep section
Brighter skies?
Brighter skies?
Jasper waits patiently
Jasper waits patiently
Sun!
Sun!
You talkin' to me?
You talkin' to me?
Blue sky and trees
Blue sky and trees
Jasper checks on the 'herd'
Jasper checks on the 'herd'
Kaleetan, Chair, The Tooth, Bryant and Denny
Kaleetan, Chair, The Tooth, Bryant and Denny
Granite Mountain
Granite Mountain
Humpback?
Humpback?
There was one slightly tricky section ~50 feet below the top. We went left around the rocks, then up to the summit ridge. No big cornices, but the south face was still steep. The little breeze we experienced earlier had died, so we sat in the (mostly) sun on top and ate a little more while looking at some of the surrounding peaks.
We made it
We made it
Jasper and JK on Mt. Catherine
Jasper and JK on Mt. Catherine
Even Soapy made a brief appearance
Even Soapy made a brief appearance
Mt. Catherine summit
Mt. Catherine summit
JK and Ingunn
JK and Ingunn
Bandera and Pratt
Bandera and Pratt
Tinkham
Tinkham
Abiel and Silver
Abiel and Silver
Granite again
Granite again
First attempt
First attempt
Success
Success
I like this mat
I like this mat
We made it back through the slightly tricky section relatively unscathed, and made quick work of descending the ridge back to Nordic Pass. Somehow the route had gotten a couple miles longer from Nordic Pass back to Hyak Lake. Not sure how it happened, but I am positive it did.
My stick!
My stick!
Happy Valentines Day :wub:
Happy Valentines Day wub.gif
Everyone made it safely back to the car, a little tired but happy.

Knows literally nothing
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
TrailPair

TrailPair
PostSun Feb 15, 2009 9:43 am 
Nice report....and photos. At least you had a few patches of blue sky. cool.gif We waved at ya'll from Kendall Peak Lakes. Did you see us? hmmm.gif hockeygrin.gif

This thing called work is interfering with my play
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Feb 15, 2009 9:56 am 
up.gif I like the ridge shots, nice to see your sponsored. I have an endorsement from Depends and Ensure. hockeygrin.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostSun Feb 15, 2009 10:04 am 
wildernessed - lol.gif GeoTom - looks like you guys had some decent weather! up.gif And that wilderness heart is an amazing find. What kind of animal makes that track? wink.gif

Opinions expressed here are my own.
JimK

JimK
PostSun Feb 15, 2009 10:44 am 
A nice day in the mountains. I believe the Silly One's first snowshoe trip was up Mt. Catherine with my borrowed snowshoes.

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSun Feb 15, 2009 11:56 am 
Jim- Silly kept going on and on and on about this being her first snowshoe trip a couple years ago with you guys. blah.gif hockeygrin.gif wildernessed- Due to the economic downturn we only managed to get one small bag of almonds. A few months ago they might have supplied a tub for each one of us as well as t-shirts and transportation in the Blue Diamond-mobile. TrailPair- I thought I recognized someone across the highway. lol.gif wamtngal- That wilderness heart was a nice find. Jasper tried to ruin it by walking through it. shakehead.gif He said he was making cupid's arrow.

Knows literally nothing
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostSun Feb 15, 2009 11:58 am 
Hey ! Commercials for Blue Diamond in a trip report. huh.gif Hope they send you some cash. agree.gif Now I need a NWHikers Tivo. rolleyes.gif

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostSun Feb 15, 2009 1:40 pm 
GeoTom wrote:
Success
Success
Everyone made it safely back to the car, a little tired but happy.
That may be the ticket to life: end every day tired but happy!

Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostSun Feb 15, 2009 5:26 pm 
Great pictures. We're definitely going to make that one soon.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Feb 15, 2009 10:47 pm 
Love it! I will have to hit that route again sometime when it is sunny out.

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostSun Feb 15, 2009 11:54 pm 
TP~! wave.gif Fun trip agree.gif I'm still sore huh.gif need to get out more often biggrin.gif
2/14/09
2/14/09
2/14/09
2/14/09
2/14/09
2/14/09

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostMon Feb 16, 2009 12:49 am 
Great that you enjoyed some sunshine. Sounded like a fun outing. Jasper and food are synonymous aren't they? lol.gif

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostMon Feb 16, 2009 6:57 am 
Thanks for the TR guy! It looks like you had really pleasant conditions.

Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig

Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig
PostMon Feb 16, 2009 10:20 am 
Schmidt Alti-Babe wrote:
Jasper and food are synonymous aren't they? lol.gif
What's that supposed to mean? huh.gif Next time I see you I'm stealing your sandwich. Wait, that proves you point, doesn't it?

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostMon Feb 16, 2009 10:26 am 
Schmidt Alti-Babe wrote:
Jasper and food are synonymous aren't they? lol.gif
I think I'd be a little concerned if I were you, Jasper. Doesn't this mean Jasper is food?

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!