Forum Index > Trail Talk > Rescue on Three Fingers
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowdog

Snowdog
PostTue Oct 12, 2021 8:28 am 
Here is article in The Seattle Times about the rescue. Our very own Yana is quoted. I am including the whole article because some may not be able to open a link due to paywall. 2 hikers rescued from Three Fingers Mountain after 20-hour mission in whiteout conditions Oct. 12, 2021 at 7:03 am Updated Oct. 12, 2021 at 8:09 am It took crews 20 hours to rescue two hikers from Three Fingers Mountain on Monday. (Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office) Seattle Times staff reporter After Monday’s rescue in whiteout conditions of two experienced hikers on Three Fingers Mountain, the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office Search and Rescue Unit is recommending people wait until next year to make that hike. Two hikers were stranded because of a strong weather system that caused whiteout conditions and heavy snow, making the trail too treacherous for them to continue climbing down, the Sheriff’s Office said on Facebook. The 20-hour overnight rescue started around 11 a.m. Sunday, when Search and Rescue received notice from an InReach Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) SOS that was activated near 6,800 feet, the Sheriff’s Office said. A crew was able to locate the two hikers and safely move them down the mountain, bringing them to safety at 7 a.m. Monday. Rescue helicopter SnoHawk10 was launched to take the rescue team to a higher elevation, but weather prevented that. Hours later, SnoHawk10 was able to pick up the Everett Mountain Rescue Unit but could only get them to 3,500 feet due to worsening weather. “The road conditions in this area are deteriorating and it is currently only accessible by 4×4,” the Sheriff’s Office said on Facebook. Ground teams hiked for several hours throughout the night in hazardous conditions and heavy snowfall. “Even though it’s just a few inches of snow, it completely transforms the terrain,” said Yana Radenska with Everett Mountain Rescue. “There is very little margin for error and you can get cold very quickly. As we hiked up it just got snowier and icier. Definitely was windy.” Assistance was provided by Snohomish County Volunteer Search and Rescue, Everett Mountain Rescue Unit, Helicopter Rescue Team, Operation Support Unit, SCVSAR 4×4 Team, Seattle Mountain Rescue and Olympic Mountain Rescue. The Sheriff’s Office recommends waiting until next year to complete this hike, and checking weather conditions before leaving. “In the event of an injury or emergency on the mountain, it is estimated to take rescue crews at least a day to be able to access the location due to the current conditions,” the office said. Christine Clarridge: 206-464-8983 or cclarridge@seattletimes.com; on Twitter: @c_clarridge.

'we don't have time for a shortcut'

peppersteak'n'ale, Lindsay, NBL, kite
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostTue Oct 12, 2021 8:33 am 
Beacon activated near 6800 feet. Sounds like they were in the lookout, it snowed, and they didn't want to try going down the ladders in the snow (edit: and ice!).

NBL
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Oct 12, 2021 8:48 am 
Some photos from Snohomish County HRT

Anne Elk, Brushbuffalo, peppersteak'n'ale, Silas, Joey, Nancyann, hapemask, zimmertr, Cyclopath, Chief Joseph, ozzy, rbuzby, Exmoor, NBL  HikingBex
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Oct 12, 2021 11:07 am 
People need to pay attention to weather forecasts and even then, be ready for it to change.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Downhill, thunderhead, jaysway, dixon, Bronco
dixon

dixon
PostTue Oct 12, 2021 12:17 pm 
Snowdog wrote:
two experienced hikers
I don't want to be insensitive but isnt it pretty basic to check weather forecasts before heading out to even the tamest of terrain e.g. Mt Si, let alone the high consequence terrain of Three Fingers? Before heading out I usually oscillate through multiple weather forecasts from NOAA, Weather.com (nice blended model), Windy.com - great visualization and highly accurate Euro models and NAM Rapid Refresh, Cliff Mass was talking about this since October 5th. In 2021 we have amazing resources for highly accurate forecasts I don't see why anyone should get caught out as most weather is a risk that can now be mitigated. I also think its critical to consider "what if something happens?" - can i survive the night alone etc. Its a shame that more folks getting into hiking arent coming over to NWHikers as there is a ton of very experienced people here who could help spread the word and perhaps prevent some of these mishaps. This looks like a truly remarkable rescue and MASSIVE respect to the SAR teams and the heli crew that successfully executed this mission. The pictures show how challenging the conditions were and they selflessly put their own lives on the line for these two individuals.

Downhill, Gwen, Brushbuffalo, thunderhead, brewermd, Anne Elk
jaysway

jaysway
PostTue Oct 12, 2021 12:43 pm 
I don't want to point too many fingers, but likewise, the weather forecast had been consistent for days beforehand about the weather system coming in and the high probability of snow and low temperatures. Experience in my mind is not just being prepared, but knowing when to turn back or when to skip out on hiking entirely. I don't know how far below the lookout they were when they activated their beacon, but if you know the weather is going to be bad why don't you take a couple of night's provisions into the lookout? You should be able to stay warm and dry in the lookout and wait out the storm. I have to wonder if this trip was planned in advance, or if this weekend was their one bit of free time to do this, and they got stubborn in deciding to go against better judgement? Great job SAR.

Brushbuffalo
jared_j

jared_j
PostTue Oct 12, 2021 12:45 pm 
dixon wrote:
I don't want to be insensitive but ...
Everyone learns some lessons the hard way, and I bet these folks will come out the backside with better judgment like the old saying goes. I'm sure many a NWHiker has gone out with an iffy forecast due and justified it with the necessary psychological scaffolding (e.g. "this is the only night I could get away due to family constraints", "this is the last day of the season before real winter comes", "hmm the forecast is kinda blah but I've gotten lucky before and it isn't even that high elevation where we're going", etc). I used to find a lot of comfort in thinking to myself that people getting into trouble were huge idiots; it helped me feel like I could make better decisions and avoid such outcomes myself. This kind of thinking is so tempting for the intermediate. Over time, I've let go of a lot of that judgmental perspective and tried to remind myself of my own psychological blind spots when tempted to roll the dice.

Arthur, Brushbuffalo, vroc38, Lindsay, jditty, hot.choss, RumiDude, Anne Elk, HikingBex, zimmertr, Cyclopath, jaysway
neek

neek
PostTue Oct 12, 2021 12:47 pm 
I was thinking the same; one outlet even said "very experienced." It's such a nebulous term though that I try not to read too much into it. At least they didn't say "expert". And as a wimpy fair weather hiker I have to admire to some degree those willing to test the boundaries. I'm sure these guys realized they pushed it too far. As always, if others learn from the mistake, it's not all bad.

Brushbuffalo, ozzy, RumiDude
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Oct 12, 2021 12:48 pm 
I'm amazed at what some are able to do in inclement weather. Not knowing all the details it's hard to judge, but good to hear all made it back safe.

Brushbuffalo
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Oct 12, 2021 1:02 pm 
I think what gets many people into trouble is that they make plans and stick to them no matter what, like the young lady likely did who died on the hidden lake trail. I like to be very flexible in my planning and make last minute changes or cancel all together depending upon the expected conditions.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

Brushbuffalo, ozzy, RumiDude, dixon
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Oct 12, 2021 2:27 pm 
It would be instructive if the reporter (or someone) could do a post-rescue debrief and some details provided (no names) so others could learn from the hikers' mistakes. Too bad Yana no longer contributes here.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

Brushbuffalo
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Oct 12, 2021 3:05 pm 
SAR does not give any details. No one who has been rescued wants to feel as if they’re being analyzed and put upon – SAR will not be the ones to do that; that is up to hiking forums and commenters on Facebook and news outlets. SAR's schtick is to rescue, and move on to the next souls who need them. Several years ago, someone who had been rescued held a fundraising dinner and a talk about his experience. That was cool, and the money went to SAR or HRT, or a combination of all those volunteer orgs who comprise SAR operations. I don't remember the incident, but the dinner was spaghetti. hungry.gif Not sure what new nugget anyone expects to learn from this or any other rescue, for that matter, except what we (and also people new to hiking) already know, or should know – the same stuff that outdoor organizations, agencies, commercial gear companies, and magazines have been hammering for years and years and years.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

Brushbuffalo
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Oct 12, 2021 3:12 pm 
I believe I am/was experienced--I was lost on the Muir snowfield in a complete blizzard.....this was before GPS! Hindsight is 20/20

Art is an adventure.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Oct 12, 2021 3:13 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Too bad Yana no longer contributes here.
She hates us. clown.gif It's amazing that these volunteers put their own lives at risk to save others, takes a special kind of person indeed! up.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

Lindsay
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Oct 12, 2021 3:15 pm 
Stefan wrote:
-I was lost on the Muir snowfield in a complete blizzard
I've been in a fog for the last few decades.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

Lindsay, snowmonkey  peppersteak'n'ale, Chief Joseph, resilient