Forum Index > Gear Talk > what's the most reliable lighter?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tippet
precisely nebulous

Tippet
precisely nebulous
PostMon Feb 16, 2009 2:14 am 
Please don't say Zippo. I'm a huge fan, I have plenty of them, they're cool and useful and all. But let's face it, in extreme conditions they're only ho-hum. At sea they fail after a few weeks, saltwater inevitably works it's way into the packing, at least on a working boat. Even on land, in cold and/or wet weather they don't perform all that well. Anyone find anything that works better than a regular Bic lighter?

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you couldn't learn otherwise" -Mark Twain
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostMon Feb 16, 2009 2:49 am 
Regular Bics and strike anywhere matches have always done the trick for me. I suppose in very cold or very windy conditions those options may not be up to the task, but I have yet to encounter such conditions. By the way, what are you lighting? If you're thinking about lighting a stove, the Spark-Lite will do the job without an open flame (so wind and cold aren't as much of an issue).

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
Tippet
precisely nebulous

Tippet
precisely nebulous
PostMon Feb 16, 2009 3:18 am 
I'm always looking for a better lighter. Not for anything in particular, just a good thing to have on the trail. Yep Bic lighters are the best. I usually have a flint/steel I got in the Pike market back in the 80's, I have used it to spark my Svea. I'll have to look up this spark-lite of yours... OOH i LIKE THAT!!!
OK I can see how that would work. Awesome thank you Dane that'll do nicely. From the descriptions, looks like it has a stronger shower of sparks than a regular bic or zippo.

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you couldn't learn otherwise" -Mark Twain
Spotly

Spotly
PostMon Feb 16, 2009 2:04 pm 
Gotta love the disclaimer on Backpacking Light. lol.gif "Disclaimer The Spark-Lite is no substitute for naivete, stupidity, or ignorance about backcountry hiking, camping and survival techniques. The Spark-Lite is approximately 98.9% lighter than a personal locator beacon." How long will one of these last as the primary source of ignition for your stove?

Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostMon Feb 16, 2009 3:01 pm 
BPL says the expected lifetime is 2,000 spark cycles. More than enough for a lifetime of stove lighting (always good to have a lighter or matches as backup though...).

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
Tippet
precisely nebulous

Tippet
precisely nebulous
PostMon Feb 16, 2009 3:10 pm 
I bet the shower of sparks gets quite a bit weaker before the "end of service life". That's another problem with Zippo. With a new flint, it's a pretty strong spark, but it diminishes quickly. Soon it's not strong enough to spark the fluid with any relaibility. I have to put two flints in there to make it tighter, it works but it's hard to turn the striker wheel.

Coasty
I like Salmon!

Coasty
I like Salmon!
PostMon Feb 16, 2009 7:05 pm 
I use this lighter by Brunton. http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=6 It is quite spendy, but it has never failed to light in any wind.. it can be a little tempermental in temps around 10F, but if I warm it in my pocket for a minute or so it lights right up. Jason

http://www.BackpackGearTest.org The Most Comprehensive Interactive Gear Reviews and Tests on the Planet!
Tippet
precisely nebulous

Tippet
precisely nebulous
PostMon Feb 16, 2009 7:17 pm 
Thanks Jason I'll look into that. Spendy yes but could be a 1-time purchase for the pack. That and a spark-lite backup could be the ideal solution. Ah there's at least one benefit to getting old. These days I can afford better gear than I could back in the day. Plus better, more lightweight gear is available these days. I'm still not giving up my Svea!!!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Feb 16, 2009 7:35 pm 
Pack a Bic and one of those windproof ones. The latter is similar to a small welder, makes a nice roar and heat. Besides lighting fires, I use them to thaw out locks with. But matches are best when lighting a gasoline induced fire. biggrin.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Feb 16, 2009 7:48 pm 

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Wolfeye

Wolfeye
PostMon Feb 16, 2009 8:12 pm 
My backup is a Sparklite, though I bought mine from Brigade Quartermasters instead of BPL. It's green instead of orange. My main lighter is a little clear thing from REI, but I don't remember its brand. It's a refillable jet lighter with a piezoelectric starter. I don't recommend it; one day when everything got soaked, my piezoelectric canister stove wouldn't light, so I whipped out my lighter. It wouldn't start either. I had to borrow some old fashioned matches from my buddy. Nowadays I'm tempted to pick up one of those mini bic's before each trip, and have the sparklite & tinder around "just in case". I've been meaning to add one of those blow-proof birthday candles too.

"Come let us climb a mountain, holding on by low scragged limbs." - Roger Zelanzany
Tippet
precisely nebulous

Tippet
precisely nebulous
PostMon Feb 16, 2009 8:50 pm 
Good Mal that'll do it! Don't cook in your tent though! clown.gif Wolf are you related to Willem Dafoe? up.gif LOL yeah that's what I'm talking about. Buying a lighter should be easy, I mean try it and it works right? But most of them crap out when either cold or wet, some last until they're both cold and wet... hate to blow $60 on that Brunton but if ti really works, it could improve a guy's life! Working out of Dutch Harbor on factory trawlers, the smokers used matches more than anything. Paper matches. Even damp, the regular paper matches worked better than lighters. Might need to double-up or even use 3 matches, but those smokers are going to get their cigs lit.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Feb 17, 2009 8:20 am 
Get yourself a nice windproof lighter. Yetiman has the Brunton, it's pretty awesome, but there are others out there. Then use a mini Bic as your emergency backup. PS: with this handy gadget from Brunton you can refill your lighter from your stove fuel canister.

Tippet
precisely nebulous

Tippet
precisely nebulous
PostTue Feb 17, 2009 9:28 am 
Yes I saw that fuel tool, looks pretty handy if you already use fhose fuel canisters. I like my Svea though. I've had a "windproof" lighter or two, but they didn't measure up in the long run. At least the ones I had. I'd be interested to hear from people who've had good luck with any of the windproof lighters. The Brunton looks pretty good. $40 on ebay for the Firestorm, or their Helios which goes a little more. Add $14 for a fuel tool plus a canister of gas I wouldn't use for anything else and wouldn't take on the trail, but again it's worth it if the thing works. I think the sparklite should be adequate backup. I like those mini bics but they do run out pretty quick. Guys I think it's really cool there's a place like this where people can discuss something as mundane as a lighter, at length, and not worry about taking flak for it.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Feb 17, 2009 10:08 am 
My Visol Neo has given me over a year of excellent use. It must be warmed in the hand to light on a cold day, otherwise it's perfect.