Forum Index > Trip Reports > Makapuu Point, Oahu 2/15/09 (now with video!)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
whitebark

whitebark
PostTue Feb 17, 2009 7:48 pm 
As lovely as Seattle winters can be, one just has to get away sometimes. Ahhh Hawaii! I joined up with a local hiking group and enjoyed a short but rugged loop hike at Makapuu Point at the east end of Oahu. From the parking area, we followed a trail that led through a grassy field to the shoreline. Then the hike became exciting as we traversed a ledge squeezed between lava cliffs and the seething ocean. Massive waves crashing against the rocks made this trip slightly dangerous. Where the ledge got too close to the ocean, I scurried as fast as possible to avoid getting washed away.
After a half mile of rugged hiking, we came to a flat lava ledge with a powerful blowhole, where the force of the waves hitting the rocks drove water and compressed air out a hole in the rocks with incredible force. Nearby were some tidepools great for swimming. Despite the high waves, a few hikers tried to get to the tidepools, including the leader who seemed to be ignoring his own advice about avoiding wet areas, which were in danger of being hit by large waves. Perhaps they were lulled by a relative period of calm. But after 6 or so got down into the tidepool area, we watched horrified from our higher perch as a massive set of waves hit, overtopping the ledge and slamming several of the group against the rocks. They were a bit bashed up and bloody but fortunately did not get washed away. Chastened, the group beat a hasty retreat. After eating lunch, we scrambled up a steep slope to the top of the ridge, where there was a great vista of the coast, a very popular spot reached by a paved walkway. Being Sunday, Half of Honolulu seemed to be up there.
Afterwards, a relaxing afternoon on the beach was in order:

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostTue Feb 17, 2009 8:19 pm 
Looks very nice. When I was stationed there we would go body surfing at Makapuu. We could go to Hanuma Bay on weekdays and be the only ones there. We went back a few years ago and it was hard to find a spot to sit down it was so crowded.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostTue Feb 17, 2009 8:43 pm 
Mmmm, nice... I like the shoe shot! biggrin.gif

whitebark

whitebark
PostTue Feb 17, 2009 10:52 pm 
reststep wrote:
We could go to Hanuma Bay on weekdays and be the only ones there.
Yeah, Hanama bay is pretty crowded now, even on weekdays. The snorkleing is still great, especially if it is calm enough to go outside the reef. I saw a huge sea turtle last time I did this. Too much waves to get outside this trip, unfortunately.

newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!

newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!
PostWed Feb 18, 2009 5:25 pm 
Great pics! I usued to surf and boogy board as a kid at Makapuu. I remember there being quite the undertow.

Nothing I can sing will bring you back. Not the songs of a hundred horses running until they become wind. Not the personal song of the rain who makes love to the earth.
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostWed Feb 18, 2009 5:52 pm 
thanks for bringing the island back here!..... i miss it! it's been two years since i've been there....time to go back! aloha~

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
red hat guy

red hat guy
PostThu Feb 19, 2009 1:02 pm 
Thanks for the photos, Whitebark. It brings back fond memories of when I lived on Oahu. From the other side of the highway near the Makapu'u overlook, you can also hike up the ridge line above Sea Life Park to where the hang gliders launch (when I did this, someone had written on the launch platform in chalk: "Strap in tight or flap arms vigorously"). If you're still on Oahu, I would recommend hiking around the rim of Koko Crater.