Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Scopehenge: exploring the Universe from the yard
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSat Oct 03, 2009 4:25 am 
Goat,
Quote:
I'm thinking it's the star Sirius
Thanks. I just went and checked and it is all beautiful in its blinky blinky. Plus, any star in a dog constellation is a good thing. I like this thread; those are some great images to ponder.... I have been a high school teacher for 22 years or so and I sure do wish Earth and Planetary sciences were hit a little harder in the public schools. Tom

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
SlowWalker
Perma-grinner

SlowWalker
Perma-grinner
PostWed Oct 07, 2009 9:08 am 
MtnGoat, have you been taking any pictures of Jupiter this week?

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Oct 29, 2009 12:00 pm 
SlowWalker wrote:
MtnGoat, have you been taking any pictures of Jupiter this week?
No, I was not. Long answer ...Weather and timing was conspiring against me. First, it has to be clear. Then, Jupiter is so low in the sky that I can only hit it for about an hour as it goes between two trees, and that hour advances an hour earlier every month. So now...if I haven't nailed it by 9:30, it's too late for that night. Sorry about the lag..haven't checked in on this thread for a while.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Oct 29, 2009 12:05 pm 
First clear non windy night in three weeks, moon is about ready to wipe things out for a couple weeks but I managed to snag these Monday night… A new start on the Horsehead for this season..I'm going to keep overlaying data from subsequent nights onto this one..
Horsehead Nebula in Orion, 15 minutes with 8" F4.
Horsehead Nebula in Orion, 15 minutes with 8" F4.
And a fairly sweet 90 minute shot of the dust nebula around the star Merope in the Seven Sisters..the Pleiades, also known as Subaru if you are Japanese. I intended a shorter run time, but I went inside to warm up after starting the imaging run and fell asleep in front of the wood stove. When I came to 90 minutes later, I went out and Merope was still in the right spot in the images and it had been ticking over just fine without me. That works!
90 minutes of the star Merope and it?s dust nebula, located in one corner of the Pleiadies.
90 minutes of the star Merope and it?s dust nebula, located in one corner of the Pleiadies.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Nov 19, 2009 9:15 am 
Very good deal on CL today on a scope very similar to what some of you peeked through at the Teeth campout.. http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/for/1472519976.html and another good deal on a more advanced setup very close to what I use to take the photos shown on this thread..this is an 8" Schmidt Newt on a full computer mount one generation older than mine. Even if you don't want to take photos, this is a lot of scope for $400 http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/for/1472670161.html

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Nov 29, 2009 12:25 pm 
Finally cleared up for an evening, in spite of the bright moon I did pretty well with a 30 minute shot of the Orion Nebula..
Great Nebula in Orion
Great Nebula in Orion

touron

touron
PostSun Nov 29, 2009 7:10 pm 
Nice shot MtnGoat! You'll be happy to know that there is a budding junior astronomer out there. This tutorial drawn on Thanksgiving. I think the II refers to Chaper II (of something)
Chapter II, The Planets
Chapter II, The Planets

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Nov 30, 2009 11:54 pm 
reprocessed the orion shot in order to bring out the color I know is in there. Not sure if it's too much, and lost some feathery details in the outer fan, but the dust on the right is turbulent looking now and the green core you see visually is now evident.
A dusty hydrogen storm in the adjacent Orion arm of our galaxy
A dusty hydrogen storm in the adjacent Orion arm of our galaxy

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Dec 01, 2009 12:00 am 
touron wrote:
Nice shot MtnGoat! You'll be happy to know that there is a budding junior astronomer out there. This tutorial drawn on Thanksgiving. I think the II refers to Chaper II (of something)
Chapter II, The Planets
Chapter II, The Planets
that kid needs a telescope! I saw a 6" dob go for $60 bucks this week in Seattle. A 60mm ETX, fully computerized, went for $30 bucks. If you wanted to blow this kid's doors off for Christmas, now is also the time to buy. People want Xmas money and now is the time for the best deals on used glass.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Dec 01, 2009 11:39 pm 
$50 six inch reflector. probably already gone
Quote:
$50 bucks for a nice scope and some gear for it...this is a great telescope for anyone interested in learning astronomy. It is a kit-built 6" reflector on a dobsonian mount. I built this in 1998 from a Steve Dodson telescope kit - http://stargazer.isys.ca/f8deluxe.html See the photo below. The scope is about 5 feet tall when fully vertical. Included in the package are: - 6" reflector on a dob mount (Steve Dodson kit) - Rigel Quick Finder for easy aiming - 18mm eyepiece (original w/kit) - Meade 12mm eyepiece - Meade 2x telenegative adapter - Meade Skyglow filter - Advanced Skywatching by Burnham, et. al. (book) - Sky Atlas book (worn) - Telescope manual from Dodson - Red goggles This scope has been sitting in the corner of my office for several years and although it has been covered it has accumulated some dust on the mirror and optics so it will need to be cleaned. Also, the alignment is probably off so be prepared to set it up again. Don't worry the manual explains how to do it all. I'll tell you what - if in your email response you tell me why an astronomer would need red goggles then I'll give you a 50% discount.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Dec 08, 2009 9:00 am 
Was very cold tonight. 8 degrees when I went in. For extra fun, nothing went well.. except dead on GOTOs which is nice. I had to take new reference frames for the imager due to the temp. 20 minutes. Focus was never quite right and I would up screwing with that for a long time. Removed extender, centering ring, and imager and reseated them, then it was better but somehow still wound up with tiny egg shaped stars. This was not helped by the mount, which apparently is a bit sticky at these temps. Then realized when I made the dark frames I did them as JPGs, but I run FITS3P format. So all the corrections being made to each image had been yielding the odd blocky coloring I had been trying to figure out. Fine. Another run of darks (double checked to make sure I had FITS3P chosen as output), another 20 minutes. Finally went to the Crab Nebula, took 87 frames at 60 sec each. This photo run is a great opportunity to see how much astrophotography has changed as a hobby. Imagine spending 90 minutes in single digit temps bent over squinting into an eyepiece you dare not touch (Vibration problems), with a manual drive corrector in hand trying to keep a star on the crosshairs the entire time. One bump, one inattention to the star drifting out of the crosshairs, it's all over. Advance film and try again! Now you've got your shot in the can and you get to pay good money and wait a week to ten days, for this.....what it would have looked like back in the day with a film camera..one run, no drift correction by the SW, shown in first frame.
Up until the early 90's, this is what you'd get if you messed up or your  mount wasn't dead on...usually both.
Up until the early 90's, this is what you'd get if you messed up or your mount wasn't dead on...usually both.
In stark contrast, take a look at what is possible with easily available tools today, using the same raw data. I tossed the worst 1 minute frames, culling down to 68 frames. I processed them with the SW tracking a couple stars I chose for use in aligning each successive frame. Then I used some image processing magic to bring out the faint details without burning out the center, cut out a lot of noise, sharped the details in the cloud, and ramped the saturation to get to the red areas. Pretty cool. M1, the Crab Nebula...remains of a supernova seen in 1064 AD. This object contains a visible light pulsar which flashes on and off 30 times per second...the pulsar is all that remains of the original star.
The magic of modern tech pulls this image out of the same data .
The magic of modern tech pulls this image out of the same data .
Not a bad shot, focus not good, tracking not good. But OK.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Dec 11, 2009 11:20 am 
insane price on a fully functional schmidt newt 8 with computer mount...I think it's the same one I listed earlier. $300 for a wide field 8" scope of high quality. http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/for/1504266480.html

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jan 05, 2010 12:51 am 
This scope is larger than many serious research instruments. Orion has just won scope industry bragging rights, for a long long time. This instrument is so large that it's owners will actually be able to make a sort of history as the first human eyes to actually see many objects reachable by this scope, which were formerly seen, even by researchers, only in photographs. Most big reasearch scopes are never used visually, and there are a lot of objects at this scopes limits visually...an exponential increase probably a couple times over what could be seen with the larger scopes used by amateurs today. I don't know what object catalogs you'd need for this thing, with a limiting visual magnitude reach of 17.5, using it for any average galaxy observing would often reveal all kinds of distant galaxies littering the field of view. All formerly placed in obscure listings because only some computer ever counted them from a photo. This thing would make the storied NGC list of 7000+ objects a beginners guide. Wow. Big Ones at Orion. Fifty, yes fifty inches of aperture... Dobsonian Reflector
Quote:
Monstrous 50" aperture parabolic primary mirror gathers almost 2000 square inches of light, almost twice the light than the Orion 36"! Forget limiting yourself to the NGC catalog; this opens the door to anonymous galaxies previously unseen by the human eye Fast f/3.75 focal ratio gives bright images, and a 187.5" of focal length - great for hunting faint galaxies and small planetary nebulae - or anything else that's up there! Premium, hand-figured optics give images limited only by the stability of the atmosphere Low-expansion borosilicate glass and honeycomb construction mirror, with 36-point mirror suspension and five cooling fans assure you get all the performance its enormous aperture can deliver Enhanced (96%) primary coatings and 98% dielectric coatings on the secondary make the most of the monstrous aperture Full tracking and GoTo capability mean you can study objects in detail, even at high power. Spend your time observing, not locating objects. Aluminum, aluminum/Russian birch composite construction, graphite struts and honeycomb mirror make this beast transportable for someone truly adventurous Over 29,000 objects in its on-board database, plus this monster can be interfaced to the planetarium program of your choice. You won't run out of objects to chase Orion is a world leader in Dobsonian telescopes. No one offers a bigger selection of Dobsonian telescopes. At Orion we've known that bigger is better and have wanted to take the art of Dobsonian telescope making to new limits. That's why we're proud to introduce the new Orion 50" Dobsonian, a Monster Dob in a class by itself. The Orion 50" Dobsonian is larger than even the largest of the telescopes ever used by the Herschel's (arguably the greatest visual observers of all time) and as of release, is the largest production telescope for amateur astronomers in the known universe. The Orion 50" Dob is the bigger brother of the Orion 36 and 40 inch Monster Dobsonians and is the biggest armature telescope in the world. We know of three 48" scopes used by amateurs to explore the night sky. Some larger professional observatory telescopes are occasionally open to the public, but access is limited and viewing is usually restricted to a few "showcase" objects. If your passion is the deep-sky and you want the biggest Dob at the star party, this Monster Dobsonian makes everything else look puny. Fifty inches of aperture. Almost 2000 square inches of light-gathering power. That's almost 33,000 times more light than what your eye can gather (assuming a dark adapted 7mm pupil). That's almost double the light the Orion 36" Dob will capture; four times what a 25" telescope can collect, or 16 times what a 12.5" gathers! This monstrous light grasp lets you capture some seriously faint objects and bring out the details other observers have only seen in photographs. With a limiting stellar magnitude that is approximately +17.4 and a theoretical resolving power under a tenth of an arc second (seeing conditions limited, of course) you are going to be catching details in the 'faint-fuzzies' up there that no one else can. .... The Orion 50" Dobsonian is the ultimate adventure in astronomy for serious deep-sky observers. You can literally go where no man or woman has gone before. Premium optics, quality construction, complete GoTo functionality and massive light gathering power. Only one element of the optical system — eyepieces — are not included, because Orion assumes the owners of these telescopes will have their own collection of favorite eyepieces. Orion supplies the light. You supply the wonder and awe you'll feel when you see the universe in a way nobody else can! ... Don't point a Monster Dob at the sun! Just pointing this at the sun can instantly damage eyepieces and cause irreversible eye damage and burns. Use extreme caution leaving it uncovered during daylight. Concentrated sunlight from this much aperture can damage the telescope or set its surroundings on fire! .... The customer is also responsible for arranging for needed material handling equipment at the delivery site (for example, the crated 50" mirror will weigh about 500 lbs — you'll want a forklift or a whole bunch of friends!). Please note this product was not designed or intended by the manufacturer for use by a child 12 years of age or younger.
Ok, so if you're 13, you're golden with a 16 foot tall, 900 pound instrument of historical scale? ( I would have been wink.gif )

touron

touron
PostTue Jan 05, 2010 1:43 pm 
I almost clicked "Add to Cart", but then I saw the price! eek.gif Plus you'd have to cut a large hole in the ceiling. doh.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jan 26, 2010 2:35 am 
Had a good Saturday night with the moon. I'm seriously impressed with the capability of the tiny Meade DS90 Maksutov Cassegrain. With 1250mm of focal length, it packs a good punch. Weight, 3lbs, size, about 4" by 14". These shots are each stacks of up to 240ish separate images taken at 1/100th sec. Averaging out the air motions is cheating, but as cheating goes it works really well. Total cost of system about 225$.
large circular range of mountains outlines enormous old crater
large circular range of mountains outlines enormous old crater
Sweet!
Sweet!
this lil 90mm scope actually kicks some butt
this lil 90mm scope actually kicks some butt
more moon
more moon
moon
moon