Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Scopehenge: exploring the Universe from the yard
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostTue Jan 26, 2010 10:59 am 
So... if I am reading this right, it sounds like you are using a scope(s) with some sort of imaging sensor that is not technically a camera in most of these shots? And that the DSLR stuff you posted a link to is using a DSLR with it's own lens? Both with a tracking mount, I assume. Is it possible to combine the two, and use the DSLR for the imaging sensor, but the scope in place of the DSLR's lens? I am fascinated by this. I'd always wondered how people got such clear shots with a DSLR of starfields and the moon. I'd figured a computerized tracking mount was part of the solution, but it seem that there is also software that blends many multiples of images of manageable length instead of using one super-long exposure. I guess that makes sense now that I think about it, no matter how smooth the movement, there has to be some shimmer/shake as the mount moves, no? Or does the image-blending software you use take this into account to? Truly fascinating, and if you ever have a star-gazing party, I'll make the drive! --Gray

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jan 26, 2010 2:17 pm 
Hi Gray. For the moon shots I posted last, I am using: 1) a dedicated astroimager...basically a digicam without the lens . ($100 used) 2) A telescope...as the lens (got this one for $60, craigslist) 3) A mount with tracking (does not have to be computerized, this one is, craiglist again, $75 including 4.5" reflector). I don't remember links to a DLSR, but I may have posted them. As you surmise, either system can be used. DSLRs typically have pretty good performance and can be popped on any scope by using the scope as the lens. It's a question of tradeoffs. My dedicated imager requires a laptop and is a single purpose device. It has a tiny CCD. However, since it is dedicated it is simple to run and use ,and the SW it comes with has a wealth of simple options. It's much lighter than a DSLR and cheaper, too, than many. DSLR's cost more, weigh more, are trickier because there are so many more settings. However, they do very well and are great because of the huge sensor and wide field of view. And you're right about the software...all the pics I have posted are actually composites of many many shots, especially for lunar work..some are as many as 200+ shots. On craigslist, if you know what you're looking for and you simply wait for the right ad, you can get a mount capable of tracking just fine for a DSLR and shots with almost any telephoto for less than 100 bucks. However..it's the learning curve that is the hard part, it's all in the setup.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Feb 04, 2010 2:39 am 
Got my new toy today. Ran it with the LXD50 manual motor controls that came with it and it was way cool. I got incredibly lucky and the motor I intended to install on the Dec axis turned out to fit the same bracket as the old motor did, so by drilling out the pulley to fit the newer motor I was done.
DS16 shows up
DS16 shows up
DS16 crated
DS16 crated
DS16 RA axis
DS16 RA axis
DS16 dec axis
DS16 dec axis
DS16 dual worm
DS16 dual worm
DS16 LXD75 motor dec
DS16 LXD75 motor dec
ds16 autostar dec2
ds16 autostar dec2
Had Autostar control of the dec axis with 1/2 hour shop time. There's still too much friction even for that motor so I have to go in deeper, but still, even getting that far so fast was amazing. I think I'm going to pick up some thrust bearings and put them on the dec axis. that should help. they're cheap at McMaster. Also, need to pick up a set of pulleys and a belt for the RA axis. I have no idea how to choose pulleys.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Feb 06, 2010 12:11 am 
So I tore down the declination axis to see where all the friction was coming from. I knew it had nylon bearings on that axis, which are fine for use by hand, but on a mount this size, killers for motor drive. Which explains why the motor was bogging down even at max speed and I eventually got a motor fault error on the handset. pulling the clutch assembly
DS16 pulling dec clutch
DS16 pulling dec clutch
there's the lower end bushing
DS16 lwr dec bushing1
DS16 lwr dec bushing1
and another bushing and two nylon washers stuck together at the top end
DS16 pulling dec shaft
DS16 pulling dec shaft
all three bushings on the top end..
DS16 upper dec bushings
DS16 upper dec bushings
So at this point, the goal is to to some book larnin' on bearings and decide what to install here. Roller thrust washers would go right on OK, but I'd still have the sleeve bushings in the casting at either end, they keep the shaft centered. I can machine the casting a bit for full on ball bearing assemblies, but I don't think the standard style handles end to end loads well, they're made for sideways ones. Perhaps the ones with a cone shaped inner race, one at each end. I removed the worm shaft from the polar axis to see how the polar bearings are, and to my delight, they are super smooth. You can spin it freely with very light finger pressure, and wow is it silky. Like buddah. No worries on this one, the motors I have on hand will do the job. It does give me hope for how the DEC axis will be if I just put in the effort to convert it to ball bearings.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Feb 16, 2010 2:08 pm 
Got some new shots from between the clouds in the last few weeks... Barred Spiral galaxy
NGC4314 SN8 020910 36min
NGC4314 SN8 020910 36min
Face on spiral
NGC3184 SN8 020910 70min
NGC3184 SN8 020910 70min
Flaming Star Nebula...the brightest star in this shot is notable for having a rather high velocity through space. It is now in Auriga, but was not born in the nebula in the frame. Rather, it appears it is actually shooting through it and lighting up gas already there, following being ejected at high velocity from a region near Orion a few million years ago. Current theory is that it was one member of a pair of stars in a very tight fast orbit, and it's partner exploded...leaving the survivor no longer bound but still possessing the high orbit velocity. Swing something on the end of a rope and let go. Same thing, but bigger.
The bright star in this shot was not born of the nebula in the photo. The star was probably ejected at high velocity from the region of the Orion Nebula.
The bright star in this shot was not born of the nebula in the photo. The star was probably ejected at high velocity from the region of the Orion Nebula.
Thor's Helmet, a kinda cool nebula E of Orion.
Thor's Helmet
Thor's Helmet
M106, about 25 million lights away.
M106 sn8 021410 61min
M106 sn8 021410 61min

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Mar 02, 2010 12:18 am 
Had a good run of decent nights a couple weeks ago, here's the goods.. NGC3718 has had a close encounter with the fuzzy at left (NGC3729), resulting in tidal disruptions in both systems, but 3718 clearly got the worst of it. It's been twisted and torqued, gas and stars thrown outwards at the margins and it's dust belt shows a spectacular S curve now.
NGC3718 was disrupted and twisted by a close encounter with another galaxy.
NGC3718 was disrupted and twisted by a close encounter with another galaxy.
The 'eggy' stars are ticking me off, but nobody is perfect and this stuff is hard! IC2177 is a pretty blue nebula with a large dust feature at center. It's in Monoceros, the Unicorn, a little bit E of Orion.
Nebula IC2177 in Monoceros, the Unicorn.
Nebula IC2177 in Monoceros, the Unicorn.
NGC2419 is the farthest known globular from the galactic core of the Milky Way. The roughly 100 known globulars occupy a spherical volume centered on the core with a radius of roughly 75,00 light years, mostly above and below the plane of the disk. This fellow is way, way out there, at 300,000 light years out it is well into intergalactic space, takes about 3 billion years to orbit the galaxy once and is farther out than some of our small companion galaxies. It is so far that when initially discovered it was thought it was an intergalactic wanderer. More recent work has resulted in more accurate velocity measurements and shown it to be a satellite of the Milky Way.
This globular cluster is the most distant known from the center of the Milky Way at 300,000 light years from the core.
This globular cluster is the most distant known from the center of the Milky Way at 300,000 light years from the core.
NGC4725 is a barred spiral about 40 million light years out. It's unusual in that when you trace the spiral, you wind up with only one arm wrapped all the way around. 3 hour total exposure.
NGC4725 is about 40 million light years distant. 3 hour total exposure.
NGC4725 is about 40 million light years distant. 3 hour total exposure.
My deepest ever shot of M51, 2 hours, reveals pretty good detail on it and it's companion, including the gas cloud surrounding the companion.
My deepest ever shot of the classic Whirlpool galaxy (M51) and companion, 2 hrs.
My deepest ever shot of the classic Whirlpool galaxy (M51) and companion, 2 hrs.
Another of the standby, Mr Moon, with old reliable the 90mm Maksutov on the el cheapo mount. Total system cost, about $200.
Good old moon with the trusty compact cannon, the Meade 90mm Maksutov
Good old moon with the trusty compact cannon, the Meade 90mm Maksutov

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Mar 09, 2010 12:23 am 
a few decent entry level scopes on Seattle CL 6in reflector $175 Good solid scope, simple, all around nice performing size at the beginning of serious. completely manual, large enough to see a lot. Decent eyepieces, push and track operation. This style is very popular because steering is a no brainer. 4.5 in reflector, GOTO, $80 starter reflector. computer mount. entry level scope, will find stuff for you and give excellent moon and planet views, some deep sky. Eyepieces probably ok but not excellent. mount OK for photos of moon and maybe Jupiter, but that's it 90mm refractor, GOTO $150 Refractors need no alignment, ever, which can be an advantage over reflectors if you never want to mess with the simple alignment procedure a reflector requires familiarity with. This refractor should give good lunar and planetary views with a few deep sky objects. Eyepieces and mount same as the small reflector. Focusser is plastic but that's what it comes with. It usually works OK. Price is not as cheap as I've seen them but it's not a ripoff. if anyone moves on one feel free to PM me and I'll tell you what to look out for. The first two deals will not last long

PostTue Mar 09, 2010 8:32 am 
I am impressed with rebuilding a DS16. I did not think the DS16's were Go To's? Are you just using the autostar for guiding?? Impressive pictures. Pretty impressive to get those tools working for imaging. I am slowly parting out my LX200 to a friend in Arizona so he can continue to operate his LX200 16 and 10inch scopes. Schools overseas use his scopes via the internet. Unfortunately, Frank is not computer literate so it is a pain to keep the scopes operating, but he manages to sweet talk virtually everybody in making it work. The Wenatchee group is having a Messier Maraton this weekend, but it looks like clouds. I am in Sedona, doing a two month southwest tour. Should be back in Wenatchee this coming Sunday. Sometime you will have to come up and do some observing with us. One member has a 24.5 inch DOB with perfect optics. With the dark sky at Camas it is a spectacular scope.

Retired Forester....rambling round www.usbackroads.blogspot.com
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Mar 09, 2010 10:13 pm 
Hi 509. The DS16 was not sold GOTO, but it will be capable of it shortly. In fact, the stock configuration didn't include a DEC worm drive either, it had a manual tangent arm slow motion system. The previous owner added the DEC worm, so now I'm completing the Frankenstein project. When it's all done, it will be fully Autostar functional. Love to come do some observing with you folks. A couple times a summer I wind up in your neck of the woods to fly toy gliders off mountains. Sometimes we do Table Mtn, other times Chumstick Mtn.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Mar 21, 2010 8:48 am 
Heck of a deal on an GOTO starter scope, probably already gone. Same as one I described a couple post back, but a much better deal. Meade Ds 2000 497Autostar Telescope - $75 (Everett)

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Apr 07, 2010 9:49 pm 
Sick deal on a nice 12" reflector in Spokane, $450

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostSat Apr 10, 2010 12:24 pm 
"Look again at that dot..." View this anytime you need a little perspective. up.gif

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Jun 04, 2010 9:55 pm 
super deal on 8" dob...125 bucks http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pho/1775982210.html

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jun 09, 2010 10:06 pm 
really good deal in Salem, OR...10 inch dobsonian reflector 10" dob, $195

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jun 09, 2010 10:07 pm 
that's a way cool vid, kleet!