Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hwy 20 Spring 2009 Opening Status
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jd_hiker

jd_hiker
PostWed Apr 22, 2009 5:33 pm 
Latest update: The west side crew got into the Whistler Mtn. avalanche zone (MP 161) yesterday. The east side crew got to do some work after all - but it was mostly clean up due to avalanches in places they'd already cleared. The warm temperatures brought down a slide back at Cutthroat Ridge #8 ( 6-feet deep/30-feet wide) and a big slide at Liberty Bell #1 that filled up the slot they'd created, just above the roadway, for exactly this purpose - so the D-8 Caterpillar is busy today... They got one of the Kodiak snow blowers through LB 1 and LB 2 and LB 3 and 4 were shallow enough that the blower was able to get all the way up to the Washington Pass summit and back, so there's still a lot clearing and widening to do - but the crew was greatly encouraged that despite the hold ups over the last few days - they're still optimistic for a May 1st opening - and maybe sooner if everything goes perfectly from here on in. (NO PROMISES-But...!) Another note - Several bicyclists have asked about riding up there before it's open. WSDOT can only close the road to licensed motor vehicles - bikes, just like snowmobiles, skis or snowshoes are legal all the time. The question remains, as always: is is wise? You wouldn't have wanted to be below CR 8 when it came in about ten o'clock yesterday morning, and riding up there Monday-Thursday while crews are working is probably not real appealing either - so, check the avalanche forecasts and plan your ride on Friday, Saturday or Sunday when you won't encounter a hungry Kodiak (snow blower!)

I have 11 essentials, the 10 plus an extra camera battery. http://www.flickr.com/photos/jd_hiker/ http://jdhascup.wordpress.com http://jdhascup.500px.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
dwgdriver

dwgdriver
PostThu Apr 23, 2009 10:08 am 
Opening on Friday, April 24th at 8:00 pm. 1 week early, in time for fishing season! (via WSDOT twitter).

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostThu Apr 23, 2009 10:31 am 
Yeah buddy!

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostThu Apr 23, 2009 10:33 am 
Wow. Time to start planning ski tours and climbs.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Apr 23, 2009 10:44 am 
Yeee hawwww!

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostThu Apr 23, 2009 10:45 am 
Best news I've heard in the last hour. up.gif

Knows literally nothing
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostThu Apr 23, 2009 12:11 pm 
up.gif

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostThu Apr 23, 2009 12:24 pm 
dance.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostThu Apr 23, 2009 12:30 pm 
dwgdriver wrote:
Opening on Friday, April 24th at 8:00 pm. 1 week early, in time for fishing season! (via WSDOT twitter).
It's on the web site too. Geohiker wins the opening day guess and I miss by one day. frown.gif

aywolfpac

aywolfpac
PostThu Apr 23, 2009 5:01 pm 
Nice. I was trying to figure out what to do on Sunday. Now I know.

jd_hiker

jd_hiker
PostThu Apr 23, 2009 8:02 pm 
Here is the message: You're not going to believe this! The North Cascades Highway is reopening tomorrow at 8 p.m. (depending on how the final clean and sweeping goes, it could even happen a couple hours earlier than that - so watch the pass report page and 5-1-1.) This is great news for all the fisher-folks who are heading one way or the other for the opening weekend. Two days ago, no one was predicting this could happen, but a combination of fortunate events are producing this faster-than-expected opening. First, the warm temperatures that held up work and caused more snowslides on Monday and Tuesday also melted so much snow that the snow blowers could handle the work without the assistance of the caterpillars and excavators. On top of that, the two snow blowers that the west side crew have been using were available all week. )They were expected to be reassigned since the work to reopen Chinook, Cayuse, Mt. Baker and Mt. St. Helens are all starting.) Getting to keep them meant 4 blowers were working yesterday (and today) and the amount of snow that got moved in a single day on Wednesday, far exceeded what anyone imagined. Oh, there's another neat thing happening tomorrow. Early tomorrow morning, while the final sweeping and clearing is going on, a Discovery Channel crew will be filming a re-creation of a truck accident that originally happened on the ALCAN Highway. It's for an upcoming episode of "Ice Road Truckers" - so when we get the air-date, I'll send an e mail so you don't miss seeing it. I'll likely send out at least one more of these e mails to let you know when there are new pictures of the opening available on flickr and a movie of the clearing of Liberty Bell #1 on Youtube that Mike Stanford from the avalanche crew is putting together.

I have 11 essentials, the 10 plus an extra camera battery. http://www.flickr.com/photos/jd_hiker/ http://jdhascup.wordpress.com http://jdhascup.500px.com
Toni

Toni
PostFri Apr 24, 2009 7:41 am 
Out of the loop here, what's this about the 'Cinnamon Roll ' lady?

There is no Planet B
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostFri Apr 24, 2009 7:48 am 
That would be Tootsie. hockeygrin.gif
Quote:
Tootsie Clark's restaurant, The Eatery, at Clark's Skagit River Resort in Marblemount (www.northcascades.com). Now in her 90s, Tootsie is still working 12+-hour days making the pies, fried chicken, meatloaf, cinnamon rolls, etc., and serving up great food and delightful conversation.
Tootsie is always the first person to drive through the North Cascade Hwy when it opens in the spring (with her family). I'm not sure she drives at this point as well over 90. She's a hoot! lol.gif Stop at the eatery and talk to her sometime. up.gif

Toni

Toni
PostFri Apr 24, 2009 7:59 am 
Thanks! BeyondLost for that neat little story, I'm going to make sure I get up there now real soon! I have eaten there in years past but did not know of 'Tootsie.' Will make a point to say, "HI." Wonder if she is in line already??? to go across, it's a beautiful day here so far.....guess I better watch the news later......

There is no Planet B
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostFri Apr 24, 2009 8:41 am 
Tootsie is the bomb. You need to ask her about her one-day traverse from Cascade Pass to Stehekin when she was much younger. That lady rocks. up.gif