Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bald Mountain a Mountain Dream
Previous :: Next Topic  
Author Message
Josh Lewis
Up up and away!



Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 4546 | TRs | Pics
Location: Lynnwood,WA
Josh Lewis
Up up and away!
PostMon Feb 23, 2009 11:09 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
This hike took place February 21, 2009 on Saturday, the day before Jolly Mountain.
Sunrise on the way to Granite Falls
Sunrise on the way to Granite Falls

What a wild Hike it was this weekend, I really felt like I was living a mountain dream. It was brilliant fun, just absolute fun!  What hieghts of joy, what hieghts of endurance, and what a beautiful world! Also betrayal was another part of it. I betrayed me friend Mark for not going to his birthday party... I sorta made it sound like I was going, and I did'nt go, my irresponsibility takes me to places that sometimes I should'nt. On thursday I was sick with fever and on Friday had a head ache all day and it was amazing I got something planned for Saturday which I recovered just in time. It was then I was supposed to go to a birthday party from Saturday to Sunday, but the temptation of two hikes got to me. In all honesty I do feel bad. Wether it was worth it I cannot say. Gimpilator came to my house real early and we left off around 6:15 a.m. and with almost perfect weather. On the way there I took a few photos and did'nt have time to take photo's of Mount Pilchuck which was slightly glowing from sunrise and looked much more beautiful than when I normally see it. In a way it felt strange being back in the mountains, but I enjoyed it all the way.

Three Fingers
Three Fingers
Attempt shot of Mount Pilchuck
Attempt shot of Mount Pilchuck
Devils Thumb
Devils Thumb

The parking spot was Deer Creek were they gate off the Mountain Loop Highway and was a wee bit icy. There was no true trail to the summit we would be heading to, and we acually had wanted to top off two summits, Bald and Longs Peak. We put snowshoes on though the woods. As we were going, I kept becoming thirsty, and I don't know what it is about my sickness, but I could never get enough water, I always felt the need for it.

Sun shining through the Woods
Sun shining through the Woods
Peak across Highway
Peak across Highway
More Peaks
More Peaks
Looking Back
Looking Back
Bug on snow
Bug on snow
And there's Our Summit
And there's Our Summit

Even in the woods I started tiring easy, probably due to the pace and snowshoes. We got to the road which was nice, exept after a while it gave me blisters, which caused some trouble for the day after. Thank goodness I mentioned my feet hurting and Adam (Gimpilator) was nice to help me put on some duck tape for my fee which helped a bit. Looking up the snowy mountains around we had a change in plan, this was'nt exactly what Adam thought it would be, and was interesting we did what I thought we were going up without being told. We took off our snowshoes and started to get steeper up a snow shoot, and I could really start to feel that the action was on the edge of the horizon.

Part of Long Mountain
Part of Long Mountain
Cornice Ridge on Long
Cornice Ridge on Long
Acual Summit of Long Mountain
Acual Summit of Long Mountain
Road to the Mountain
Road to the Mountain
Mount Dickerman
Mount Dickerman
Devils Peak
Devils Peak
North Face of Devils Thumb
North Face of Devils Thumb
The Climb Up
The Climb Up

Later we brought out our crampons which I had never used, but was pretty sure I knew what it was like which I did. Adam decided it would be too dangerous for avalanches to go back down this way, so we would have to find another way down. It gradually got steeper and we got into some woods a little with a angle of atleast 45 degrees and I started to become nervous. I could'nt take photos at this part due to the exposure of it. It once again got even more steep and became something that was like acually climbing and that it was sorta like living a mountain dream, it's so incredible to acually be doing it. In a sesne you feel more alive, but at the same time I was very dizzy and exhausted and became a rather hard endorance. I felt extremly ambishous which is why I kept going even to the point were both me and Adam were a bit scared of the intenseness. At the end I even said "That was one hell of a climb" which exuse my language because almost never do I say stuff like that, but it was difficult, scary, but absolute fun! We had to treverse across the mountain towards the north because it just got to steep, Adam says it got to 60 degrees of steepness. Going back down a little was a bit worrysome and had a bit of dejavu from Cascade Pass because of the look of it (exept you know, without Johnasburg looming above ya, that place gives you the feel of big mountains and was the scariest day of my life!). Adam kicked in some steps and I had to eat while climbing down, because if I did'nt, I would'nt have enough energy. We also went over some rock over a min cliff which was a little worrysome.

Later We went though some friendlier woods which was a relief and we ascended again, and it was very difficult once again, not nearly as steep thank goodness, but it literally changed my definition of endurance, and changed the meaning of what it meant to climb mountains, and that it's not just a thing you stop when your tired, or even exhausted, but you endure until you feel like all feeling is sucked away from you, fortunatly on this hike I still had some left and of coarse still having fun. I took off my crampons due to them falling off because my boot was'nt exactly the crampon kind of boot, but I guess good enough. The summit ridge felt like something I see in climbing photo's with a slight corness feeling, but had some poderish snow. Seeing the summit I had a vision in my head of climbing to the top and cheering out in joy! The main ridge seemed a bit too dangerous, and that perhaps we should traverse the north face bit which we did. I started getting mini cramps as we were going around and the snow was getting a bit deeper, but I was not ready to give up. We finally got another view of the summit from a diffrent side, not only was it too steep, but a bit icy, and the ridge was a big cornice, much too dangerous. Adam made the right choice and when we were about 100 feet from the summit, we decided that was as far as we go. It was'nt that we could'nt, which we could, but it would have been outright dangrous and irresponsible and would be risking death, and as Adam says "Better to live another day to hike than to summit". Even though I had summit fever, I was'nt dissapointed, and infact I felt accomplished that I did my best and got this far. I had to eat in a tree well to regain my stregnth, and when I could finally look without being too dizzy, I could see I was serounded by intense beauty, and Three Fingers looking like a giant, and to think I summited that bad/ good looking mountain, when I mean bad, I mean steep.

Three Fingers Mountain
Three Fingers Mountain
Adam (The Gimpilator)
Adam (The Gimpilator)
Very Summit of Three Fingers
Very Summit of Three Fingers
Three Fingers's Cliffs
Three Fingers's Cliffs
Columbia Peak
Columbia Peak
Sloan with Mount Dickerman
Sloan with Mount Dickerman
Sloan Peak zoomed in
Sloan Peak zoomed in
Monte Cristo Peaks
Monte Cristo Peaks
Mount Bullon
Mount Bullon
Jumbo Mountain Panorama
Jumbo Mountain Panorama
Devils Peak Panorama
Devils Peak Panorama
Looking North
Looking North
Three Fingers Panorama
Three Fingers Panorama

I took a few shots ans we hurried down because the weather was starting to change and it was getting late, much later than what was planned. It was interesting to think Adam originally said perhaps Cougar Mountain, which I sorta turned down as he said that and he came up with a much better one! Although I never did cougar, or Tiger (Kitty Mountain) but I was sure that we were going to do something better than that. As we continued to get off the ridge, I remember having bad cramps on the way down from a down climb which involved kick steps and Adam had me do some stretches.

Going Down the Ridge
Going Down the Ridge
Crazy Looking Peak
Crazy Looking Peak
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
Big Four Mountain
Big Four Mountain
Looking North Again
Looking North Again
Liberty Mountain
Liberty Mountain
The Summit Ridge (Well the Easy Part)
The Summit Ridge (Well the Easy Part)
Mount Dickerman's Summit
Mount Dickerman's Summit

After this I felt better and going down was a breeze compared to going up. We talked alot about all kinds of things on the way down... or atleast I think we did, I was so tired I can't even remember. We glassaded a little bit and got back down to the road. Looking back I was wondering about tommorows next adventure, and oh boy it was! Came back to the car with just enough water to make it home, although it was one of those it's good to be back. Once again another extreme hike, and boy did this one take it's toll on Jolly Mountain!

--------------
My Websites: Personal Website PeakFun SummitPost Profile TrailTopo
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Magellan
Brutally Handsome



Joined: 26 Jul 2006
Posts: 13042 | TRs | Pics
Location: Inexorable descent
Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Feb 23, 2009 11:11 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Dude, buy some paragraphs.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Josh Lewis
Up up and away!



Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 4546 | TRs | Pics
Location: Lynnwood,WA
Josh Lewis
Up up and away!
PostMon Feb 23, 2009 11:12 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Magellan wrote:
Dude, buy some paragraphs.

I'm working on my roar... thats what I'm doing now.
I have to use a proxy to view nwhikers.... my friend got his IP banned ;-) which makes posting harder. Edit: I got my internet working at home again!  smile.gif

--------------
My Websites: Personal Website PeakFun SummitPost Profile TrailTopo
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks



Joined: 13 Feb 2007
Posts: 5772 | TRs | Pics
Location: Stuck in the middle
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
That's a long trip in the summer when you can drive to the trailhead -- even longer this time of year. Did you get any views to the South over Spada Lake or up the bureaucratically sealed Williamson creek valley?
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
captain jack
Serving suggestion



Joined: 25 May 2004
Posts: 3334 | TRs | Pics
Location: El. 162'
captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostTue Feb 24, 2009 10:03 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
puzzlr wrote:
That's a long trip in the summer when you can drive to the trailhead -- even longer this time of year. Did you get any views to the South over Spada Lake or up the bureaucratically sealed Williamson creek valley?

They went to the " other " Bald mountain (4795'), on the north side of the Mountain Loop highway.  wink.gif

I know , I know, you can see one Bald from the other Bald.  huh.gif
Hey I didnt name this stuff.  rolleyes.gif
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Bloated Chipmunk
Slower than Dial-up



Joined: 29 Jan 2007
Posts: 2528 | TRs | Pics
Location: Margaritaville
Bloated Chipmunk
Slower than Dial-up
PostTue Feb 24, 2009 11:17 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Dude, that sounds like one intense trip.  eek.gif

No wonder you were so exhausted for Jolly!  stun.gif

--------------
Home is where the hiking is. 

"Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas

A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
iron
getting old



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 5529 | TRs | Pics
Location: kenmore
iron
getting old
PostTue Feb 24, 2009 11:57 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
josh,
i now understand some of your exhaustion on the jolly trip. but, in reading this report, it makes me question your safety. if you're going up 45 degree slopes with crampons that aren't working for your particular boots with people that don't have the necessary experience to get you through safely - i think you're taking unnecessary risks.

i know you have summit fever now and your passion for the mtns is impressive, but i also saw how when i spoke with you about making a prudent decision on jolly and to really think about your current condition, you continued to push on. if i was your father or some other relation, there's no way i would have let you continue. reading this TR makes me think this is a common pattern for you - and a dangerous one at that. if you're on the verge of passion out, having the life sucked out of you, or whatever else, you really need to think about your intentions.

as my buddy always tells others: conditioning is important not only for enjoyment, but for safety. if you get tired, you get sloppy and your judgement does too. please think about this, okay? perhaps a year or two of mt. si-like hikes to build up your aerobic base is in order...

--------------
man, you go through life, you try to be nice to people, you struggle to resist the urge to punch 'em in the face, and for what?

--- moe sizlack
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Josh Lewis
Up up and away!



Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 4546 | TRs | Pics
Location: Lynnwood,WA
Josh Lewis
Up up and away!
PostTue Feb 24, 2009 5:08 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Bloated Chipmunk wrote:
Dude, that sounds like one intense trip. eek.gif

No wonder you were so exhausted for Jolly! stun.gif

It was! But it was intense fun! Just because your exhausted does'nt mean your not having fun!  lol.gif   biggrin.gif


iron wrote:
josh,
i now understand some of your exhaustion on the jolly trip. but, in reading this report, it makes me question your safety. if you're going up 45 degree slopes with crampons that aren't working for your particular boots with people that don't have the necessary experience to get you through safely - i think you're taking unnecessary risks.

i know you have summit fever now and your passion for the mtns is impressive, but i also saw how when i spoke with you about making a prudent decision on jolly and to really think about your current condition, you continued to push on. if i was your father or some other relation, there's no way i would have let you continue. reading this TR makes me think this is a common pattern for you - and a dangerous one at that. if you're on the verge of passion out, having the life sucked out of you, or whatever else, you really need to think about your intentions.

as my buddy always tells others: conditioning is important not only for enjoyment, but for safety. if you get tired, you get sloppy and your judgement does too. please think about this, okay? perhaps a year or two of mt. si-like hikes to build up your aerobic base is in order...

As for the boots, they worked good enough, were not quite the exact ones because they were semi rigged on, but they worked just fine!
I know my limits, and believe me, if I really went beyond them, it would have been considered crazy, I was with an experienced mountain climber and I did not quite do what I did on Jolly, atleast here I did'nt stumble as much because I had much more strength, but this lead up to me being tired at Jolly! I tell ya, I'm a die hard, now if I had no food on Jolly, that would have been the point were even I would turn around even if I was close to the summit. But I guess I could be a bit easier on my self around you guys.  hmmm.gif

--------------
My Websites: Personal Website PeakFun SummitPost Profile TrailTopo
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Layback
Proud Papa x2



Joined: 16 Mar 2007
Posts: 5523 | TRs | Pics
Location: On a Bike
Layback
Proud Papa x2
PostTue Feb 24, 2009 5:15 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Josh - Great pics.  I don't want to scold you, but when I'm on 60 degree slopes I use pickets and a rope.  What you did could have ended very badly.  Please be careful and learn from this - we want to see more of you around here.

You can't be the great climber (that we all know you will be someday with more training) if you end up paralyzed or possibly worse.  Stay safe bud.   up.gif
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Josh Lewis
Up up and away!



Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 4546 | TRs | Pics
Location: Lynnwood,WA
Josh Lewis
Up up and away!
PostTue Feb 24, 2009 5:38 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Layback wrote:
Josh - Great pics. I don't want to scold you, but when I'm on 60 degree slopes I use pickets and a rope. What you did could have ended very badly. Please be careful and learn from this - we want to see more of you around here.

You can't be the great climber (that we all know you will be someday with more training) if you end up paralyzed or possibly worse. Stay safe bud.  up.gif

Mabe it was'nt quite that... but pretty dang steep, we could catch our selfs with our ice axes because it was soft snow, but would'nt have been very pleasant perhaps with a couple scratches. But even in the future I don't plan on going on stuff beyond this, or atleast without better equipment and experience, and I don't plan on ever getting into verticle climbing! To dangerous, I've got to much to live for! Glad you liked my photo's! I wanted to take more, but we were in a hurry, and some parts were to difficult to.

--------------
My Websites: Personal Website PeakFun SummitPost Profile TrailTopo
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Tazz
Member
Member


Joined: 27 Apr 2005
Posts: 7915 | TRs | Pics

Tazz
Member
PostTue Feb 24, 2009 5:45 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
vert rock climbing is safer than class 3 scrambles.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
iron
getting old



Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 5529 | TRs | Pics
Location: kenmore
iron
getting old
PostTue Feb 24, 2009 6:25 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Josh wrote:
iron wrote:
josh,
i now understand some of your exhaustion on the jolly trip. but, in reading this report, it makes me question your safety. if you're going up 45 degree slopes with crampons that aren't working for your particular boots with people that don't have the necessary experience to get you through safely - i think you're taking unnecessary risks.

i know you have summit fever now and your passion for the mtns is impressive, but i also saw how when i spoke with you about making a prudent decision on jolly and to really think about your current condition, you continued to push on. if i was your father or some other relation, there's no way i would have let you continue. reading this TR makes me think this is a common pattern for you - and a dangerous one at that. if you're on the verge of passion out, having the life sucked out of you, or whatever else, you really need to think about your intentions.

as my buddy always tells others: conditioning is important not only for enjoyment, but for safety. if you get tired, you get sloppy and your judgement does too. please think about this, okay? perhaps a year or two of mt. si-like hikes to build up your aerobic base is in order...

As for the boots, they worked good enough, were not quite the exact ones because they were semi rigged on, but they worked just fine!
I know my limits, and believe me, if I really went beyond them, it would have been considered crazy, I was with an experienced mountain climber and I did not quite do what I did on Jolly, atleast here I did'nt stumble as much because I had much more strength, but this lead up to me being tired at Jolly! I tell ya, I'm a die hard, now if I had no food on Jolly, that would have been the point were even I would turn around even if I was close to the summit. But I guess I could be a bit easier on my self around you guys. hmmm.gif

josh, please do not take any of this as criticism. actually, at you're age, you're doing things most people cannot. i doubt i would have been able to do half the stuff at age 16 that you are, so props for that.

if you take anything from this experience, please let it be this: like i asked you to do while on the ridge - always step back and make a prudent decision. factor in everything: the weather, your condition, the time, and so forth and so on. the ultimate and final question should be: is it worth it? does summit X mean more to you than:
1) your own health/life
2) the safety of your group, and
3) the family and friends you have back home

so, good work on pressing hard. i'm glad you were able to recover and enjoy the hike. you're a good kid and i look forward to future trips with you.

--------------
man, you go through life, you try to be nice to people, you struggle to resist the urge to punch 'em in the face, and for what?

--- moe sizlack
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Josh Lewis
Up up and away!



Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 4546 | TRs | Pics
Location: Lynnwood,WA
Josh Lewis
Up up and away!
PostTue Feb 24, 2009 6:42 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
iron wrote:

josh, please do not take any of this as criticism. actually, at you're age, you're doing things most people cannot. i doubt i would have been able to do half the stuff at age 16 that you are, so props for that.

if you take anything from this experience, please let it be this: like i asked you to do while on the ridge - always step back and make a prudent decision. factor in everything: the weather, your condition, the time, and so forth and so on. the ultimate and final question should be: is it worth it? does summit X mean more to you than:
1) your own health/life
2) the safety of your group, and
3) the family and friends you have back home

so, good work on pressing hard. i'm glad you were able to recover and enjoy the hike. you're a good kid and i look forward to future trips with you.

Awww who am I kidding myself, it was a bit irresponsible, we did'nt summit because we did'nt want to get to carried away. I should start caring for my groups safty a bit more... and or coarse myself when I'm with other groups. As for the summit of Jolly, it was'nt life threatoning... but perhaps what they say is true, teenagers think there invincible which I agree with.

--------------
My Websites: Personal Website PeakFun SummitPost Profile TrailTopo
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Go Jo
of the lykkens



Joined: 08 Jun 2003
Posts: 2257 | TRs | Pics
Location: Around The Bend
Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostTue Feb 24, 2009 7:15 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Josh wrote:
Sunrise on the way to Granite Falls
Sunrise on the way to Granite Falls

I couldn't agree more with the words Iron had for you! So, since the point about safety & training has already been made, I'll just compliment you on this fabulous pano ~Jo
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Josh Lewis
Up up and away!



Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 4546 | TRs | Pics
Location: Lynnwood,WA
Josh Lewis
Up up and away!
PostTue Feb 24, 2009 7:29 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
the lykkens wrote:
Josh wrote:
Sunrise on the way to Granite Falls
Sunrise on the way to Granite Falls

I couldn't agree more with the words Iron had for you! So, since the point about safety & training has already been made, I'll just compliment you on this fabulous pano ~Jo

Thanks! It was a bit blurry, but good old photo shop and picasa 3 to help fix up!  smile.gif

--------------
My Websites: Personal Website PeakFun SummitPost Profile TrailTopo
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bald Mountain a Mountain Dream
  Happy Birthday Hiker Mama, ReubenD!
Jump to:   
Search this topic:

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


   Use Disclaimer Powered by phpBB Privacy Policy