Forum Index > Trip Reports > Jolly Mountain (Attempt) 2/22/09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Feb 22, 2009 11:21 pm 
Well Jolly survives another day. But this journey up Jolly Mountain was well worth the trip. What was suppose to be a rainy disaster actually turned out to be a decent day to be in the mountains. And the trip was a success in the fact that everyone made it up and down safely and everyone had a good time. This trip consisted of Bad Dog, Iron, Josh Lewis and his brother Michael and Redwic from Summitpost. This 14 mile butt kicker lived up to it's billing as a major wake up call for summer goal mountains like Rainier and Shasta. We decided to head up the roadway and cut up to avoid the long switchbacks. I don't know how much time it ended up saving us on the way up because the snowy slopes were quiet steep and made the switchback cutting very slow. When the trail consisted of deep snow Iron, clearly the strongest hiker in the group cut the trail all of the way to the ridge. For all those who don't know much about Iron, he is a very strong and fast hiker. But he was also one of the best team players around. Once on the ridge he then went down the trail and actually helped some of the other hikers with their pack to get them to the ridge when they were struggling. I think we own him a very special thank you and many more trip invitations for what he did. Once along the ridge Iron continued to cut the trail with me and Bad Dog a little behind and the others a little more behind. Time though at this point was beginning to run out and concern began to grow amongst us. At one point Bad Dog recognized that there were some members that might not summit this time around so she want me Iron to go for the summit. I soon got up to Iron, who was waiting for us and told him the news. After realizing that he had some of members water and clothing he went back to give them the items and he and I planned to summit the peak. I continue to the summit which was a little less that one mile away. I continued on about 100 yards when instincts for the group took over. First I didn't like the fact that the group was splitting. Second I was worried because I didn't know the health of the other members. Third time was running out fast. It was obvious at this point that it was time to bail bawl.gif on this one despite knowing that Iron would have crushed this mountain and I could have summited it too. Jolly won again but not for long. Safety here of the group here is much more important than pride. We all have families, goals, and dreams and summit is not worth it. It also didn't help that the summit was completely foggy while everywhere else had a view. It turned out to be the absolute best decision because Josh Lewis had become very weak. On the way down he collasped to his knees at least and the mountain was taking its toll on him. Iron took all his gear except food and water while Redwic and I walked with him down the mountain. This was where team work played a major role. We walked with Josh slowly down the mountain feeding him electrolytes and water and slowly he began to get back his strength. By the time we were heading down the steep slope Josh had most of his strength back and heading down was actually quiet fun. In fact many in the group were able to do quiet a number of good glissades heading down here. Josh had regain to old form and the rest of the trip was uneventful. Some notes: Snowshoes are pretty much mandatory right now on Jolly Mountain. There are great views going up the road to the mountain and I would recommend this to be the winter route. Also a special thanks to Redwic for looking over Josh Lewis, Iron for stepping up repeatedly during the hike and all of the others for coming out and making this hike so enjoyable. Awesome job. As for Holly, Bad Dog's dog, she was a great dog on this trip, though she did get excited on the glissades. As for Jolly, see you again soon!
Bad Dog and Josh heading up the cut
Bad Dog and Josh heading up the cut
Along the ridge
Along the ridge
Hawkins in the distance
Hawkins in the distance
Lower MountainViews
Lower MountainViews
More views
More views
Looking along the ridge
Looking along the ridge
Jolly Mountain in the clouds
Jolly Mountain in the clouds
The group heading up
The group heading up
Shot from on the way up
Shot from on the way up
More views from the route
More views from the route
More VIews
More VIews
VIew from the ridgeline along Jolly
VIew from the ridgeline along Jolly

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSun Feb 22, 2009 11:44 pm 
EastKing wrote:
Safety here of the group here is much more important than pride. We all have families, goals, and dreams and summit is not worth it.
ditto.gif Nice effort - sounds like a pretty tough hike but I'm glad to hear everyone came out of it OK. I still need to tag Jolly one of these days; thanks for the info. up.gif up.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Feb 23, 2009 12:21 am 
I wish I was not sick and could have joined you at least!

Art is an adventure.
Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostMon Feb 23, 2009 1:06 am 
Jolly doesn't sound very Jolly...but I'm sure it will be there next time you have a chance to try. Good choice sticking together. up.gif Josh, I hope you're feeling better!

mhutch

mhutch
PostMon Feb 23, 2009 7:16 am 
nice, was scoping out jolly from hex the other day, must be a great view from up there on a clear day. It's on my list now too agree.gif ... good to hear everyone made it back safe, thanks for the report...

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Feb 23, 2009 8:45 am 
Adventures come in all sorts of flavors. Glad to hear that Josh got down okay. Jolly is a worthy objective. The views are outstanding. Jolly in winter is a long grunt day trip, even when skis speed up the travel. A camp on Sasse Ridge makes it two reasonable days. OTOH, in the summer there's two-wheeled vehicles within a mile of the summit.

b00

b00
PostMon Feb 23, 2009 9:42 am 
i too am definitely a member of the iron fan club. i agree he is very strong and a team player. it is just tough for me to be heading uphill, sweating like a pig, running out of breath while he is going slow, not sweating, adding clothes so he can visit - it is embarrassing. i am glad you all made it down and had iron to help. i hope it will be a fond memory. :>)

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Feb 23, 2009 10:27 am 
This one is still on my list on a beautiful view filled day, however for all but the speed hikers I think a crack of dawn start is advisable especially with the daylight we have today. What time did you start walking? Also if you cut the switchbacks via the Opus route it is about a 12 mile round trip to Jolly. If you just stay on the road the entire time you add about 1.6 miles each way. (.65 miles cutting switchbacks, 2.25 staying on the road). I guess the question is easier to walk the extra 1.6 miles or suffer up the steeper slopes. As is my experience hiking with Greg (Eastking). Saftey of the party is always the priority. The below quote from Greg pretty much says it all:
Quote:
Safety here of the group here is much more important than pride. We all have families, goals, and dreams and summit is not worth it. It also didn't help that the summit was completely foggy while everywhere else had a view.
The summit will always be there for another day. Good job everyone. I hope to be able to join for the next attempt with maybe a little more daylight and a little better weather (at least better weather). Frankly besides uncertain weather I was afraid I might hold people back with my slower hiking speed. I have a lot of endurance and know how to eat/stay hydrated on a trip, but am not a rabbit up the slopes nor have a lot of experience.

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Feb 23, 2009 11:00 am 
tigerman wrote:
As is my experience hiking with Greg (Eastking). Saftey of the party is always the priority. Frankly besides uncertain weather I was afraid I might hold people back with my slower hiking speed. I have a lot of endurance and know how to eat/stay hydrated on a trip, but am not a rabbit up the slopes
ditto.gif Yeah, I know I bow out of certain trips when I know a lot of fast people are attending. I can do hard &/or long hikes, but I can't do them fast. My strengths are in endurance, not speed. B/c I drag ass up the mtns. I subsequently have very few hiking partners, but I much prefer hiking w/peeps who don't ditch me & who recognize the importance of safety in sticking together as opposed to racing up to the peak/lake/campsite, etc. like it's some sort of silly competition. rolleyes.gif I feel like y'all made the right decision when things turned sour. up.gif up.gif Getting most of the way there & not summiting can be frustrating but like others have said, the mtn. will still be there later. & hopefully when you give it another go, it'll be sunny too. smile.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Curtissimo

Curtissimo
PostMon Feb 23, 2009 11:50 am 
good report and good work. if you haven't made it up there by june we can just take the 1.5 mile high trail to the summit and maybe even add a Sassy or Elbow.

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Feb 23, 2009 12:14 pm 
Are there any views from Sasse?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Feb 23, 2009 12:31 pm 
Bloated Chipmunk wrote:
Are there any views from Sasse?
Mostly local views from Sasse. Sasse is cozy, nothing close Jolly's spectacular panorama from Chief peaks, etc. in the W to Hawkins/Stuart, deep looks in between and even further E to E WA.

cartman

cartman
PostMon Feb 23, 2009 12:49 pm 
Sasse is mostly trees at the summit.

cartman

cartman
PostMon Feb 23, 2009 12:52 pm 
Quetzal_Curtissimo wrote:
good report and good work. if you haven't made it up there by june we can just take the 1.5 mile high trail to the summit and maybe even add a Sassy or Elbow.
The traverse from Jolly over to Skookum (aka The Louvre) is also fun in summer, with a little spice at the end on Skookum's double summit.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Feb 23, 2009 4:28 pm 
so....Josh chose to hike instead of attending the birthday party. hmmm.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss