Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > the myth of the warming Puget Sound climate
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
weatherman
climatologist

weatherman
climatologist
PostSat Feb 28, 2009 9:30 pm 
Not only is the Cascade Mountain snowpack increasing as we move into the 21st century, but our Puget Sound climate is also showing signs of cooling. 10-year annual mean temperatures: ------------ Olympia SeaTac 1989-1998 50.7 53.0 1999-2008 50.1 52.2 Difference -0.6 -0.8

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Feb 28, 2009 10:03 pm 
DOH! hockeygrin.gif The GW fanatics aren't going to like that Weaths. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Feb 28, 2009 10:13 pm 
Weatherman, is this a strawman or are you responding to a specific claim that's been made about the Puget Sound climate?

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat Feb 28, 2009 10:35 pm 
Again. bored.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
weatherman
climatologist

weatherman
climatologist
PostSun Mar 01, 2009 10:11 am 
Tom wrote:
Weatherman, is this a strawman or are you responding to a specific claim that's been made about the Puget Sound climate?
I believe most folks are listening to all the global warming hysteria and actually believe it is growing warmer around here. For instance, on page 5 of my Seattle Audubon newsletter concerning nutria, it says, "With milder weather in the past decade, they've started to expand outward from the Skagit River delta." But if you actually look at the data, you discover it is not getting warmer, it has actually cooled in the past decade.

Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostSun Mar 01, 2009 10:54 am 
Quote:
But if you actually look at the data, you discover it is not getting warmer, it has actually cooled in the past decade.
Is that globally or just western Washington? Is 10 years of data statistically valid when evaluating climate changes?

Let me stand next to your fire
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostSun Mar 01, 2009 12:02 pm 
Perhaps that's why he did not choose the username climateman.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Mar 01, 2009 12:32 pm 
Snowpack is quite a bit below normal in the cascades this winter so I suppose other myths need to be exposed. I can't help but think back to 2005 when we also had minimal winter snowfall and by mid-summer the glaciers were looking pretty sad. I remember rafting Berdeen in early August that year and the lake was warm to the touch. I wouldn't be surprised if we have another banner hiking summer this year despite the "cooling" decade we are in.

Recon

Recon
PostSun Mar 01, 2009 8:47 pm 
Cliff Mass on KCTS right now 7:46
Tom wrote:
Snowpack is quite a bit below normal in the cascades this winter so I suppose other myths need to be exposed. I can't help but think back to 2005 when we also had minimal winter snowfall and by mid-summer the glaciers were looking pretty sad. I remember rafting Berdeen in early August that year and the lake was warm to the touch. I wouldn't be surprised if we have another banner hiking summer this year despite the "cooling" decade we are in.
I am not a scientist, but listening to him..... He says there is no loss of cascade snowpack going back 30 years, no trend at all. I am paraphrasing, but I am sure someone else must be watching him too. http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostSun Mar 01, 2009 10:23 pm 
Tom: I agree with you too. We had some major precip in Dec. but were way below average for Jan and Feb, finally waiting until the first of March to get some meaningful rain again. I'm also thinking something similar for this summer, a dry and long hiking season with snowpacks melting relatively early. Comparing decadal trends that include 1998 at either end are statistically skewed and don't tell the whole story. 1998 was an El Nino year and was unusually warm as a result, especially in the Northwest. So it's not inaccurate to say we haven't been warming since, it was an extremely warm year to begin with! This is like saying my Escape Hybrid gets 36 MPG when the only time I checked the scangauge was when I drove home from Chinook Pass in summer warmth with a tailwind the whole way (30-31 MPG would be more realistic).

Footprints on the sands of time will never be made sitting down.
weatherman
climatologist

weatherman
climatologist
PostSun Mar 01, 2009 10:59 pm 
While the data shows 2008 was the 2nd coldest out of the past 20 years at SeaTac, 1998 was not far out of line with the 20-year trend, being the 7th warmest out of the past 20 years. These are water years, 1998 is Oct 1997-Sept 1998.

Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostSun Mar 01, 2009 11:40 pm 
Thank you for the additional details, Weatherman. Your chart shows annual temps at SeaTac only. 1998 was a much warmer year across the US. NOAA In fact, 1998 nearly rivals the high temps of the century that occurred during the 1930's. I wonder why El Nino didn't have quite the same effect here? If the station is at the airport and are they adequately taking into consideration the heat island effect?

Footprints on the sands of time will never be made sitting down.
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Mar 02, 2009 2:01 am 
Mtn Dog said
Quote:
Weatherman, your chart shows annual temps at SeaTac only. 1998 was a much warmer year across the US. NOAA In fact, 1998 nearly rivals the high temps of the century that occurred during the 1930's.
In fact, 1998 was the warmest year on record, period, on a global basis. ........ Which does make it an intriguing starting point for Weatherman's data comparison. And Weatherman is right, sort of, it has been cooling off since then. Of course, cooling off is a relative thing. Globally, 8 of the 10 warmest years on record have occurred in the decade since 1998. ........ (1997 and 1998 were the other two)
What happens to temperature in the United States, compared to that, is a variation that warrants explanation. What happens to the temperature in the Puget Sound region might warrant explanation, too ........ an explanation of what factors contribute to the variation. But that would be scientific, and Weatherman is not much concerned with science. Certainly his continued presentation of isolated bits of data neither proves anything, nor explains anything, nor contributes anything to an understanding of the changes taking place in climate ........ whatever those are.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostMon Mar 02, 2009 5:23 am 
Isn't it interesting how he chose just Seatac and Olympia? I would think that a scientific analysis with a p value aimed at making it scientifically accurate beyond "just chance" would use more data points. Obviously this is a weak attempt to massage data in a favorable way toward one's cause. Weatherman - when you were a little kid did you dream of being a good scientist or a fraudulent one? Pathetic...

peltoms

peltoms
PostMon Mar 02, 2009 5:24 am 
What a sharp audience, if I am a nutria in the Skagit delta I do not care about Olympia or Seattle temps. The temps around Anacortes, Mount Vernon have been pretty steadily warm for the last two decades. Further the climate has continued to be mild except for 2008, they did not say warming further. The graphs weatherman has suggested we look at show this well for the area. Note the last dot is not quite correct as it is not 2008 complete data.
. I am concerned with the low snowpack this late in the winter of course. We often have cool-wet periods in the spring, but look at the snow water equivalent deficits, they are 15 inches at Stevens, 18 inches at Rainy and 21 inches at Lyman, it will not be that much wetter. It does not remind me of 2005 but it is spot on at several sites including Stevens pass for 2003
Also remember in that last decade noted we start with a la nina in 1999 and end with one in 2008, but no excuses, it stayed warm versus getting warmer.

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/