Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > the myth of the warming Puget Sound climate
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
weatherman
climatologist

weatherman
climatologist
PostMon Mar 02, 2009 1:54 pm 
Since the 1st order stations at SeaTac and Olympia are not enough, I attempted to find more stations using cooperative observer data. Unfortunately, the coop data are full of missing values, (our US climate database is a train wreck, but that's another story) I did find one additional site with a complete 240 month record from 1989 through 2008: Bellingham 3 SSW. This site is located at the sewage treatment plant just W of 4th St and less than a 1/4 mile from Bellingham Bay (48.71817,-122.51202). Here are the results showing a 20-year cooling of about 0.5 deg F in Bellingham, similar to values previously found for Olympia and SeaTac: 2008 minus 1989 (difference of end points of trend line, deg F): -0.5 Olympia Airport -0.8 SeaTac Airport -0.5 Bellingham 3SSW These are composite changes over several stations, but the 12 months are not weighted evenly due to missing data: -0.4 N Puget Sound (mostly Clearbrook and Sedro Wooley) -1.9 W Central Cascades (Cedar Lake, Palmer, Mud Mtn Dam, Buckley) -0.1 NW Cascades* NW Cascades is a composite of these 8 locations: Tolt SF Reservoir, Startup, Baring, SedroWooley, Concrete, Newhalem, Diablo Dam, Ross Dam

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
weatherman
climatologist

weatherman
climatologist
PostMon Mar 02, 2009 2:25 pm 
Layback wrote:
Weatherman - when you were a little kid did you dream of being a good scientist or a fraudulent one? Pathetic...
Layback, would you please elaborate where you see fraud being perpetrated? This is a rather serious claim to be leveling at someone. I served this state for 17 years as State Climatologist, and at no time did anyone ever call me pathetic. I guess there is always a first time for everything! Don't be mistaken, I'm not saying our Puget Sound climate has not warmed. It clearly did so until the early 90s. The point is the warmth peaked at that time and now our Puget Sound climate shows signs of cooling with 2008 being one of the coolest years in the past 20. I'm sorry if these facts are disturbing to you. What happens next year and beyond I don't know. I'm not very good at predicting the climate. For instance, I did not see this cooling coming ahead of time.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostMon Mar 02, 2009 5:18 pm 
I'm not in the field of weather but I have a good understanding of scientific studies. Do you contend that data points from 2 locations is enough to scientifically justify the statement, "Puget Sound climate is also showing signs of cooling"? Where is the data that supports that your statement isn't possible just on chance alone? Credentials mean nothing without data to support your claims, especially given the limits of the data that you have presented us with. I find that to be pathetic. It's not good science at all. At best you don't understand what a good statically-powered scientific study looks like and you are in over your head. At worst, your are intentionally misleading people. Show me the data that says I'm wrong.
weatherman wrote:
I'm not very good at predicting the climate.
As far as I can tell, you're also not very good at conducting a statistically-powered scientific analysis of climatic trends. moon.gif

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Mar 02, 2009 6:05 pm 
weatherman wrote:
Not only is the Cascade Mountain snowpack increasing as we move into the 21st century. . . .
Wow, I would never have guessed that in view of the numerous lakes that I seen in the past three years that are depicted as glacier snouts on USGS 7.5' maps, all of which were updated between 1990 and 2002.

weatherman
climatologist

weatherman
climatologist
PostMon Mar 02, 2009 7:52 pm 
I'm not talking about glaciers here, I'm referring to the 1 April seasonal snowpack.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Mar 02, 2009 8:36 pm 
weatherman wrote:
I'm not talking about glaciers here, I'm referring to the 1 April seasonal snowpack (at the Harts Pass SNOTEL site hmmm.gif ).
Parenthetical statement added maliciously.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Mar 02, 2009 9:36 pm 
From "There's Gold in Them Thar Hills - being the History of the .45 Mines, Inc." by Daniel R. Pinkham:
Quote:
In the Sultan Basin and much of the area around it the rainfall is great, the forests and the underbrush thick and the soil largely organic and muddy. In the winter at Headquarters, snowfall was measured one year, producing a total of over seventy feet between November and May
referring to the winter of 1897 (Headquarters was at the head of Williamson Creek).

weatherman
climatologist

weatherman
climatologist
PostMon Mar 02, 2009 11:40 pm 
Using the 3 sites with complete data over the 20-year period: Composite of Olympia, Seattle, and Bellingham 10-year mean temperatures: ------------------------------------------------------ 1989-1998 52.0 F 1999-2008 51.3 F Difference -0.7 F 2008 ties with 2001 as the coldest year out of the past 20 years with an annual mean temperature of 50.1 F. This doesn't even include this past winter 2008-2009 which was substantially colder and snowier than normal. Our Puget Sound climate is no longer getting warmer with each passing decade! Mean Temperature of the 36 site-months for the 20-year period from 1989 through 2008: 1989,51.1 1990,52.1 1991,50.7 1992,53.4 1993,51.6 1994,52.9 1995,52.3 1996,51.6 1997,51.3 1998,52.5 1999,50.6 2000,51.2 2001,50.1 2002,50.7 2003,52.4 2004,52.5 2005,52.2 2006,52.1 2007,51.3 2008,50.1

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Mar 03, 2009 12:09 am 
I guess we'll see in another 10 years if your claim of no longer warming holds. If it doesn't I'm sure you'll find another myth to expose. BTW, no doubt there are other spots in the world that warmed this decade just as there are other spots that cooled. Does it say anything about the next decade or whether we'll see continued cooling or warming? You've said elsewhere we should be concerned about global warming but you only seem to focus on things we shouldn't be concerned about. So again, what is it that we should be concerned about?

peltoms

peltoms
PostTue Mar 03, 2009 11:04 am 
Weatherman is clearly right about the cessation of temperature rise in the Puget lowlands since 1998. There are reasons for this, but it is the big picture that must be focussed upon. For example we talk mainly about hiking in the North Cascades, and check out those temp trends.
or the state as a whole.
The only cooling to the last decade is really the last two years, when we have a la nina at work. The bigger question to me right now is why has this La nina persisted so long? Why have the coastal area not warmed as much, is it because of a change to a more negative pdo reflecting cooler water offshore? Bigsteve: Do not be too surprised by the snowpack comment. Take a look at the myth of snowpack page.

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
weatherman
climatologist

weatherman
climatologist
PostTue Mar 03, 2009 12:33 pm 
I thought some of you might enjoy looking at the Washington state annual summary for 1897, although it doesn't say much about snowfall.
Schroder wrote:
From "There's Gold in Them Thar Hills - being the History of the .45 Mines, Inc." by Daniel R. Pinkham:
Quote:
In the Sultan Basin and much of the area around it the rainfall is great, the forests and the underbrush thick and the soil largely organic and muddy. In the winter at Headquarters, snowfall was measured one year, producing a total of over seventy feet between November and May
referring to the winter of 1897 (Headquarters was at the head of Williamson Creek).

peltoms

peltoms
PostTue Mar 03, 2009 1:01 pm 
Weatherman that is awesome 1897. What strikes you as extraordinary about the climate of that year?

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostWed Mar 04, 2009 8:47 pm 
Sorry Mike but there's nothing to show that the conclusion he has reached about an entire area isn't a product of chance alone. In my field you need hundreds of thousands of data points to reach the a definitive conclusion that the change you are citing didn't occur as a result of chance. What he's saying may be true but it's just as likely to be false and shouldn't be taken as gospel. I find it especially hard to believe when there are far more robust studies with many, many, many more data points that say we are in a period of global warming. I'm sorry that you don't understand that. embarassedlaugh.gif Here's some info on the scientific method and p values for the ill-informed. It's not ad hominum at all. If you want someone to take your science seriously, you had better be able to prove that you're right. By definition, the owness is not on me to prove he's wrong. Now if he wants to say that we're in a period of global warming but the past few years haven't trended towards increased warming at the sites he listed, I can live with that. To say that we're in a period of cooling in the entire Puget Sound area based on data from two sites is preposterous. An "n" of two is a joke for an area of 16,000 square miles.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Mar 04, 2009 10:42 pm 
None of what "weatherman" says has anything to do with global warming anyway. He is just trying to stir up the pot with people like BPJ who either can't or won't understand that global warming is a global phenomenon, and that GW theories don't predict that every place on earth will warm slightly over a ten-year period. It's still true: every time a flake of snow falls, the anti-GW fanatics will howl "See? There's no global warming", They do it every single time, on this website and all over the media. Let one guy get stuck in the snow at a mountain pass, you can bet the farm he'll be quoted on the local news saying there's no global warming. Mike: you need to look up what "ad hominem" means before you start using in accusations. If Layback had said "Don't listen to anything weatherman has to say, because he is always wrong", that would be an example of an ad hominem ("to the man") attack. Layback did nothing of the sort. He took exception to weatherman's idea and the evidence put forth to support it. The fact that layback did so with some strong words like "pathetic" doesn't make it an ad hominem attack.

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostThu Mar 05, 2009 5:12 pm 
No you don't. moon.gif If you are going to make a case that supports Weatherman's claims perhaps you could use some evidence. Here's the full quote BTW.
Layback wrote:
Isn't it interesting how he chose just Seatac and Olympia? I would think that a scientific analysis with a p value aimed at making it scientifically accurate beyond "just chance" would use more data points. Obviously this is a weak attempt to massage data in a favorable way toward one's cause. Weatherman - when you were a little kid did you dream of being a good scientist or a fraudulent one? Pathetic...
Layback wrote:
I'm not in the field of weather but I have a good understanding of scientific studies. Do you contend that data points from 2 locations is enough to scientifically justify the statement, "Puget Sound climate is also showing signs of cooling"? Where is the data that supports that your statement isn't possible just on chance alone? Credentials mean nothing without data to support your claims, especially given the limits of the data that you have presented us with. I find that to be pathetic. It's not good science at all. At best you don't understand what a good statically-powered scientific study looks like and you are in over your head. At worst, your are intentionally misleading people. Show me the data that says I'm wrong.
weatherman wrote:
I'm not very good at predicting the climate.
As far as I can tell, you're also not very good at conducting a statistically-powered scientific analysis of climatic trends. moon.gif
Layback wrote:
Sorry Mike but there's nothing to show that the conclusion he has reached about an entire area isn't a product of chance alone. In my field you need hundreds of thousands of data points to reach the a definitive conclusion that the change you are citing didn't occur as a result of chance. What he's saying may be true but it's just as likely to be false and shouldn't be taken as gospel. I find it especially hard to believe when there are far more robust studies with many, many, many more data points that say we are in a period of global warming. I'm sorry that you don't understand that. embarassedlaugh.gif Here's some info on the scientific method and p values for the ill-informed. It's not ad hominum at all. If you want someone to take your science seriously, you had better be able to prove that you're right. By definition, the owness is not on me to prove he's wrong. Now if he wants to say that we're in a period of global warming but the past few years haven't trended towards increased warming at the sites he listed, I can live with that. To say that we're in a period of cooling in the entire Puget Sound area based on data from two sites is preposterous. An "n" of two is a joke for an area of 16,000 square miles.