Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Forest Service eyes rules to increase control
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
iron

iron
PostThu Feb 10, 2011 11:56 pm 
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/115837739.html
Quote:
GRANTS PASS, Ore. (AP) - Hoping to break a legal logjam that has stymied logging as well as ecosystem restoration, the U.S. Forest Service said Thursday it was revising its planning rules to take more control over national forests and find more common ground between industry and conservation groups. The old rules, dating back to the Reagan administration, designated certain animal species that must be protected to assure ecosystems are healthy. However, the system became the basis of numerous lawsuits that sharply cut back logging to protect habitat for fish and wildlife. The new rules call for monitoring a broader range of species, including plants, while giving forest supervisors greater discretion to decide what science to apply and which species to protect, depending on local conditions. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said from Washington, D.C., that it's in everyone's best interest to have forests that stay healthy amid climate change and economic demands. "Rather than responding to the political pressure of the time, it would be much better to say to the scientists, 'What is the best way to make this forest the most resilient it can be,"' Vilsack told The Associated Press. The conservation group that forced the revision by persuading a federal judge to throw out the last one said the proposal represents a dangerous rollback of mandatory protections and gives too much discretion to forest supervisors. "This flies in the face of the principal that has been in place, that the Forest Service's job is to keep common species common," said Rodger Schlickeisen, president of Defenders of Wildlife. The 155 national forests and grasslands managed by the agency cover 193 million acres in 42 states and Puerto Rico. Balance between industry and conservation in those areas has been tough to find since the existing rules went into effect in 1982. One revision of the rules by the Clinton administration and two by the Bush administration were thrown out by federal courts. Lawsuits to protect habitat for threatened and endangered species have cut national forest logging levels to a quarter of their peak. Meanwhile, the timber industry continues to clamor for more logs, and conservation groups keep challenging timber sales, drilling and mining projects. The new rules being developed may seem "wonky" but are important because the national forests provide drinking water for 124 million people in more than 900 cities nationwide and habitat for more rare species than national parks, said Jane Danowitz, public lands director for the Pew Environment Group. The proposed rules give more authority to local supervisors working with the public to determine the best use of an individual forest, whether it's for mining, hunting and fishing, or preservation of a diverse mix of species, Vilsack said. "We have to get away from focusing on our own narrow niche of what we want the world to be and recognize that we have to share the world with other folks who have interests that need to be recognized." Vilsack said. Forest Service Chief Tom Tidwell said the proposed rules would eliminate the old system of using indicator species, such as the northern spotted owl, to determine the health of an individual ecosystem, and instead carefully track a broad range of species. A timber industry group said it was happy to see more recognition of the role of forests in providing jobs in rural communities, and felt that allowing objections to be lodged before planning decisions are made will lead to better outcomes. However, rules applying to protecting a diversity of species need to be clarified, and the requirement to consider the best available science goes against efforts to streamline and simplify regulations, said Ann Forest Burns, vice president of the American Forest Resource Council. Conservation groups said the rules were a good start, but a lot of work remained to ensure the changes promised are delivered. Andy Stahl of Forest Service Employees for Environmental Ethics said getting rid of the indicator species system would make it harder to sue the Forest Service to protect species struggling to survive, because the new rules shift the burden of proof from the Forest Service to the public. Kristen Boyles, an attorney for Earthjustice, said the watershed protections rated only a C grade. While the changes showed the Forest Service grasped the need to protect trees and brush along streams - a frequent issue in lawsuits over logging and grazing - the revisions did not include specific standards, Boyles said. The proposed rules incorporate public comments from more than 40 roundtables drawing more than 3,000 participants, and an Internet blog. After a 90-day public comment period, the rules could become final by the end of the year.
adios big trees...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Feb 11, 2011 6:57 am 
BS on that comment. I'll type slowly so you may understand. The operating sawmills are not built to handle big trees. The ideal size is now 14 to 24 inches, diameter at breast height. If you think those are big trees, we are in trouble. 14 to 24 inches folks. Second and third growth. If you believe differently, please list the mills that take the bigger trees. I believe there may be a whopping 4 in our fair state, and one of them can't handle wood over 48". Any big trees that are still standing, are there for a reason. Mainly that they were and are hard to reach, not economical to go for, and or have a lot of defect. Capice? The best prices are for the 14 to 24 inch logs.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
trestle

trestle
PostTue Feb 22, 2011 2:13 pm 
This is well said and can be directed at both sides. "We have to get away from focusing on our own narrow niche of what we want the world to be and recognize that we have to share the world with other folks who have interests that need to be recognized." Vilsack said. The big trees seem to be well protected for a variety of reasons but it would be beneficial to us all if second and third-growth forests were allowed to be managed instead of quarantined. Proper management will do more to preserve recreation access and healthy forests than the ESA-based measures currently in place.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostTue Feb 22, 2011 5:10 pm 
Iron said
Quote:
adios big trees...
Iron, I think you're wrong on this one. The new rules would allow the forest managers to directly single out the Old Growth trees for protection, rather than having to go the round-about route of protecting them because they provide habitat for rare animals, or are growing near water-courses, et cetera. Meanwhile second and third growth forests can be managed as a commercial resource, or as the location for other forms of economic exploitation, or used for recreation or whatever ....... as was intended when the Forest Service was created.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
iron

iron
PostTue Feb 22, 2011 5:22 pm 
just because a tree isn't "old growth" does not mean that it is not big. you start cutting down 2nd and 3rd growth and before you know it, you have spindly little trees like the east coast. awesome.

MadCapLaughs

MadCapLaughs
PostTue Feb 22, 2011 7:56 pm 
I won't pretend to be knowledgeable about the intricacies of the logging industry. But I think the comments in this thread are revealing. We see the forest as a piggy bank, a smorgasbord, a thing to be willfully exploited for personal material gain. Maybe if we treated a forest as thing of value in itself, we might discover that we are treated well in return.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostTue Feb 22, 2011 8:28 pm 
Ah, phooey! What are we? The Elves of Middle Earth or the Druids of Ancient Greece, that forests are somehow sacred? Nuts! Our ancestor came ashore and cut down the trees to clear their fields and build their cabins and stoke their fireplaces. They burned the wood to make charcoal to fuel the smithies to build the plows and the waterwheels. They mushed it up to make the pulp that let the newspapers exercise their freedom. Using the forests is about as American as anything gets. Sure, we've learned to strike a balance between use, now, and preservation for the future, but let's keep it a balance.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
iron

iron
PostTue Feb 22, 2011 8:37 pm 
sorry scrooge. just because something was done in the past does not make it the right practice for the present. i don't care what things are american or not; that's not what this is about.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Feb 22, 2011 8:48 pm 
We also held human beings as property, gave smallpox blankets to Indians, slaughtered buffalo for their tongues (or just for the hell of it),considered women property yada yada yada. Just because we did something in unenlightened time does not mean we should do it now. huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostTue Feb 22, 2011 10:44 pm 
Folks, I'll admit I have a unique position in that I grew up in a logging town (North Bend), had lots of family in the business, spent most of my childhood hiking in the woods out there (in old growth, clearcuts, selective cuts, and 2nd/3rd growth) and I think there is a position to consider that many don't think of: When I was growing up we watched logging take place and clearcuts created-- but now it is 30 years later and what do I see? Trees the size of those I hiked through when I was a teenager. As I tell many people who are more recent arrivals, think of these trees as very slow growing corn. While some of the Cascades are beautiful and unique, there are lots of places that are flat, boggy (not wetlands, just wet), and not unique. Not every place is worth locking away from any use except protecting trees. Also, what many people miss is that while there are unique places and features that need to be preserved, we must consider that these trees are living -- and dying organisms. While we can preserve Old growth for a while, we won't preserve every OG tree forever, because eventually they die. What we need to preserve is some places where the geological features are unique and/or the flora and fawna are special-- but that is not EVERY SQUARE inch of trees in the NW. There is a happy balance that can be achieved (well managed tree farms providing a biodegradable, renewable source of building materials), preserved areas (NOT just for trees), and space for people to live. But BALANCE is the key... OK, I'm ready for the Flames!!! moon.gif Yours, John

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostTue Feb 22, 2011 10:48 pm 
Malachai Constant said
Quote:
Just because we did something in unenlightened time does not mean we should do it now
This is an unenlightened time, so just because we're doing it now doesn't mean we should continue doing it. As the Forest Service proposes: we can do better by more people, plants, and animals, if we think about each situation, instead of everywhere blindly enforcing a one-sided policy. And thank you, Scouter John, for saying that so eloquently. humpy.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Feb 23, 2011 5:35 am 
ScouterJohn wrote:
Folks, I'll admit I have a unique position in that I grew up in a logging town (North Bend), had lots of family in the business, spent most of my childhood hiking in the woods out there (in old growth, clearcuts, selective cuts, and 2nd/3rd growth) and I think there is a position to consider that many don't think of: When I was growing up we watched logging take place and clearcuts created-- but now it is 30 years later and what do I see? Trees the size of those I hiked through when I was a teenager. As I tell many people who are more recent arrivals, think of these trees as very slow growing corn. While some of the Cascades are beautiful and unique, there are lots of places that are flat, boggy (not wetlands, just wet), and not unique. Not every place is worth locking away from any use except protecting trees. Also, what many people miss is that while there are unique places and features that need to be preserved, we must consider that these trees are living -- and dying organisms. While we can preserve Old growth for a while, we won't preserve every OG tree forever, because eventually they die. What we need to preserve is some places where the geological features are unique and/or the flora and fawna are special-- but that is not EVERY SQUARE inch of trees in the NW. There is a happy balance that can be achieved (well managed tree farms providing a biodegradable, renewable source of building materials), preserved areas (NOT just for trees), and space for people to live. But BALANCE is the key... OK, I'm ready for the Flames!!! moon.gif Yours, John
up.gif up.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Feb 23, 2011 11:07 am 
Well, if someone wants to cut some 60 or 80 year old trees, I say go ahead. Just please don't cut slopes so steep they will slide for sure, don't cut right up to streams, and don't make the taxpayers pay more for the roads than we get from the timber sale. If you can manage those things, then I have no problem.

HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostWed Feb 23, 2011 12:20 pm 
Well said, Slugman-- all of these are aspects of good forestry. I'll point out Hancock Forest Management as an example of a good stewards of their forest lands (and in some places, USFS-- not necessarily around here...) I've wondered for years why the USFS would pay for the roads, instead of billing the purchaser for the costs of building the roads...

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostWed Feb 23, 2011 1:32 pm 
MadCapLaughs wrote:
I won't pretend to be knowledgeable about the intricacies of the logging industry. But I think the comments in this thread are revealing. We see the forest as a piggy bank, a smorgasbord, a thing to be willfully exploited for personal material gain. Maybe if we treated a forest as thing of value in itself, we might discover that we are treated well in return.
Just an assumption here...but i'm pretty sure you have indirectly benefited from the exploited forest willfully. Odds are your dwelling is made of "exploited" forest. Do you wipe? moon.gif Yep "exploited" forest. I assume you have some sort of education? Just because you did not put money in your pocket directly from personally cutting down a tree dose not mean you are not guilty of personal material gain from "exploited" forest. What do you think text books are made from? "exploited" forest! agree.gif When i see a fresh clear-cut it's hard not to get a knee jerk reaction at how ugly it is. But it grows back. Heck in two or three years, the purple fields of fire weed can be aesthetically pleasing. We do treat the forest as a thing of value it's self. That's why we give some of it protection from being cut ever, but there is also value of treating it as a crop like corn. As scrooge pointed out we have been hacking at the forest since the birth of the nation. I'd say since we still have forests, we've done a pretty go job of treating it as a thing of value...Have we done a perfect job of it? Hell no. Striking a balance between preservation and "exploitation" is not a simple problem to solve.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential