Forum Index > Trip Reports > middle chiwaukum - 2009-02-28
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostMon Mar 02, 2009 9:26 am 
Re: Jasper
twodogdad wrote:
I wouldn't take Jasper beyond the 7k saddle, regardless of the weather. There's nothing to tie him to there and if you tie him to your backpack he'll drag it after you, won't he? Of course, you could put him in your backpack, with a lot of kibble--and pray terriers aren't like their prey smile.gif You'll have about 15 minutes to complete the final climb and get back down. tdd
There was a group of 2 who did the trip after Randy's group and before our group did who had a dog with them. The dog was able to summit. I think it probably depends on the dog. If you have a dog that loves to run up and down the slope, slipping and sliding, you probably don't want to take them higher than the 7k saddle due to the exposure on that last ridge. If you have a dog that does well, follows you without smothering you (ie stepping on your heels), etc. then they might do ok. And there's always a summer summit as an option.

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cartman

cartman
PostMon Mar 02, 2009 11:09 am 
Nice pics, iron. He was a machine going up this--I may have met someone who can move as fast as ErinB. And twodogdad got his camera working just in time, thanks for those. And thanks especially to Bad Dog for waiting for us. Conditions were interesting. The lower 3000' are currently more like early May or later, mostly hardpack in the trees. The steps from the two groups three and four weeks ago are still very distinct. We wore crampons most of the way up and down here. Once on the ridge, however, the snow averaged a foot deep except near the tops of the two high points. Snowshoes were definitely welcome and we switched back to crampons for security at the 7000' saddle (having ditched the snowshoes below Pt. 7132).

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostMon Mar 02, 2009 4:38 pm 
I think Iron has found his true calling... as a snow trailbreaker. He did it well for the Jolly trip last week, and now this trip. Great trip report, and wonderful photos.

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.