Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Subaru repair
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 25, 2019 1:38 am 
My Acura had a great engine but the transmission wasn't up to the task. When it started to slip all Acura did was throw a jet kit at it until the warranty ran out. Won't buy another Acura or Honda again.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brucester

Brucester
PostThu Jul 25, 2019 5:42 am 
Evidently my Toyota XD has a timing chain, the only good news this week. Now I need to build back the trust that damn head gasket took away... How do I install an actual temp gauge? Thinking I should know exactly how hot is now! My 84 Brat had a timing chain.... The only problem I had with it was getting it buried in mud. Anyone ever own an early 80's lifted Subie?

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Jul 25, 2019 11:38 am 
This thread is bizarre to me. I thought Subarus were noted for their reliability and long shelf life. Mine is at 230+ K miles and has had no major issues. Won't last forever, but 200+ is pretty damn good if you ask me.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostThu Jul 25, 2019 12:18 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
This thread is bizarre to me. I thought Subarus were noted for their reliability and long shelf life. Mine is at 230+ K miles and has had no major issues. Won't last forever, but 200+ is pretty damn good if you ask me.
That would just be the wear-in period for a Cummins Diesel.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
icedog

icedog
PostThu Jul 25, 2019 10:01 pm 
Love my Baja and Subes in general but those head gaskets shakehead.gif I need mine replaced AGAIN at 105K. Had the dealer replace them at 53K before I bought it and hoped I was set for good. Not so much. At least the folks at Suburb are now offering lifetime warranty on the replacements. But jeez; really rethinking another Sube. This is my 5th one over many years and the third one with this bs bawl.gif

ICEDOG
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Jul 25, 2019 11:01 pm 
InFlight wrote:
The top of line 268 HP 2.5L Turbo WRX still has a belt.
The top of the line 2.5L is in the STi and makes 305 HP. The regular WRX gets a 2.0 that makes 268 HP.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostThu Jul 25, 2019 11:25 pm 
Brucester wrote:
Evidently my Toyota XD has a timing chain, the only good news this week. Now I need to build back the trust that damn head gasket took away... How do I install an actual temp gauge? Thinking I should know exactly how hot is now!
If your car just has cold and hot lights from the ECU. You will need to get “VDO water temp gage” and a matching range water temperature sender. Mount the gage and wire it through the firewall to connect it to the sender. The sender needs to be immersed in the water. The simplest retrofit is a “water temperature sender adapter” which is a cut the radiator hose and insert/clamp option. If I were installing this setup I’d look at the thermostat housing to see if there was an option to install it there. This would require R&R of the thermostat, and drilling and tapping the appropriate NPT thread size for the sender in the housing.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau