Forum Index > Trip Reports > Carbon River to Ranger Falls 3-26-09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostFri Mar 27, 2009 8:50 am 
3/26/09 Carbon River to Ranger Falls I had a second interview today and I needed to clear my head before, so I headed out on the only sunny day predicted for weeks. Weather was really good, the mountain was out, and that is always a great start to the day. Roads to Carbon River station were clear until about a mile in and then traces of snow & ice on road. I started out about 8:30, road was slick in spots, slow going for a mile, then more snow it got easier. Once I hit the jumbled mess of trees down I lost the trail for about 20 mins. I tried to go around some downed trees to the right and ended up not being the way so I back tracked where I started and stared at this huge pile of jumbled trees and saw a blue piece of tape and was like what, where, which way…the tape didn’t respond….
Here's where I got a bit turned around and lost trail
Here's where I got a bit turned around and lost trail
Carbon River 014
Carbon River 014
Finally after another 5 mins of looking all around high and low I saw some yellow caution tape on the other side of the creek so I climbed over a down tree to where it was and that was the trail again…I hate it when that happens and I’m alone, it helps to have more eyes. I’ve been on this trail 3-4 times but never in snow and everything looks different.
Carbon River 020
Carbon River 020
Carbon River 015
Carbon River 015
Birds were singing, sun was shinning through the rain forest. I love this area, not a sole in sight. I followed some fox tracks for a long time. I got to the trailhead for Green Lake and headed up, thought I would put on snow shoes very soon. After I jumped over the first downed tree. I was adjusting them and heard a noise that scared me, it was 2 Marines coming over the log. They were nice enough. Asked me what time I started and they had to brag they started way later than me and caught up to me.. I said I’m slow…
Carbon River 023
Carbon River 023
Carbon River 022
Carbon River 022
Carbon River 024
Carbon River 024
Ranger Falls-Carbon River area
Ranger Falls-Carbon River area
Carbon River 028
Carbon River 028
The snow was wet in places, then crusty, then none existent…and then the ice bombs were horrible! It wasn’t snow bombs it was hard ice pellets crashing down every 2 minutes, I’ve never moved so fast to get off a trail. I raced up to Ranger Falls and back down as quick as I could. I didn’t bother with Green Lake, I’ve seen it before and I was drenched. Thank goodness I had extra hat and jacket to peel off the wet layers and get warm. Much quicker going back to the car too. I was tired and had to physically prepare for the interview now..did I wear the right thing….I hate interviewing… Today was my 18th hike of the year. Stats 9 miles 5 hours elevation a little to the falls.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ree

ree
PostFri Mar 27, 2009 12:47 pm 
Thanks for the report. up.gif

Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostFri Mar 27, 2009 9:31 pm 
Glad you got out - we missed you at Hex but hope your interview went well. The weather was reasonably good on the other side of the pass today (Fri). It was my 18th hike today also! We'll have to keep on pace. I'm hoping for two more this weekend, but the weather looks less than promising for tomorrow (Sat).

rdyhiker

rdyhiker
PostSat Mar 28, 2009 3:07 pm 
Great way to clear your head before interviewing, which behind death and divorce is the 3rd most stressful event in our lives. Hope it worked and you aced the interview straight into a job offer! I explored the Carbon River area for the very 1st time last April and was surprised, yet delighted, at how wild and woolly it is. Very beautiful. Thanks for the pics of it in the snow. Clarification about your statement?:
Quote:
3/26/09 Roads to Carbon River station were clear until about a mile in and then traces of snow & ice on road.
I read that to mean that you were able to drive to the entrance and park there, but the last mile was icy. Correct? Thanks.

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostSat Mar 28, 2009 3:17 pm 
Yep, road had some snow and ice on it but totally driveable. They fixed the washout.

rdyhiker

rdyhiker
PostSat Mar 28, 2009 3:18 pm 
up.gif