Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lake Isabel slush slog. (New update, clean up day 6-13-09)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Mar 22, 2009 11:39 pm 
Decided to give Isabel a shot again. I've made a two attempts this winter. Both i turned back due to bad snow conditions. This time i was determined not to fail. This with recent rain in lower elevations, a layer of slimy slush at mid elevations, and a slippery layer of snow at higher elevations. I slipped and stumbled the entire trip. The approach to near the base of the falls which in the past only took me an hour to reach. Took two and a half cause of the slippery conditions. Things improved once reaching the lightly forest slope near the base of the falls. Thanks to, and no thanks to deep drifts of snow. I failed to bring my ice axe. And I only had a pair of Yak Tracks. I did attempt to use the Yak Tracks. Once on the steeper heavier forested slope the Yak Tracks ended up around my ankles.
Yak Tracks Abuse
Yak Tracks Abuse
The Yak Tracks tangled around my ankles did not bother me at the time because my legs were numb from the cold wade through the snow drifts. And i do mean wade. I noticed a bizzar snow condition. Just before the snow drifts on the less forested slope, the snow is only 3 to 6 inches deep. Then suddenly it is 6 or 7 feet deep. Then in heavier forest it's only a foot deep. I did notice that less forested slope is only a few degrees east of being directly across from Isabel falls uhh.gif The final five hundred feet from the lake, the most difficult part of the trip, took about an hour to navigate. But i made it hockeygrin.gif
LK Isabel pano
LK Isabel pano
Nice view isn't it. No that's not a B&W photo. embarassedlaugh.gif I took some time examine the tool box to see how well bolted down it is.
The Trash Box
The Trash Box
Still full of trash mad.gif I did bring a trash bag with the intention of hauling some of that out. But it is currently a cryogenically frozen monolith. I quickly ruled out chipping it out with my trekking pole. Don't know how empty those butane stove, and vodka containers are. That's not my preferred method of thawing the trash. clown.gif I know the Forest Service reads NWhikers trip reports. So here's a message.. I will be pestering you about that tool box, turned dumpster again when the weather improves. hockeygrin.gif Stopped for another photo op on the way down next to the falls.
Isabel Falls
Isabel Falls
I didn't too close to that rock face this time. I was braced against a stump to get that shot. I never bothered to remove my Yak Tracks until i returned to the Jeep. That was also about the time my legs began to thaw. hockeygrin.gif Trust me you don't want to keep them around your ankles whaambulance.gif They were so entangled with my shoe laces i had to cut them off. embarassedlaugh.gif
Lk Isabel
Lk Isabel
On the way out i sopped at the Espresso Chalet just past the Hwy 2 Index for a hot drink to complete the thawing process.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostMon Mar 23, 2009 1:11 am 
Thanks for the great report. Rousing endorsement for Yaks!..... lol.gif Isabel has been one of those places that time forgot. Navigating the motorcycle/4x4 gauntlet keeps out all but the very determined. It's been 2-3 years since I was up there, so was interested in your route. Does that trail appear to be recently built or another motorcycle trail that developed? I've gone in that way, but crossed on the chainlink bridge and then up to the old road. How's the road to the TH doing? Last spring it was pretty beat up, so couldn't get up there in my Honda.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostMon Mar 23, 2009 9:33 am 
Great T/R Hulksmash, Geohiker your not going to make it up there now in your car. I've never seen it so bad and I'm sure it's going to be worse next year. waah.gif

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostMon Mar 23, 2009 10:38 am 
Despite the horrible road conditions is still routinely see Subaru's, VW jettas, and passats, honda's and toyotas. At the corner of the switch back before the mines. After that point don't bother with a passenger car. Even with my jeep, i can't drive that section of road any faster than walking. It's bad. I should mention. The red line on the map is an actual GPS track. With the exception a half mile next to the lake, it is all trail. It is a motorcycle tail it actually starts out at the end of the road above the mines. But there is a faint connector trail about fifty yards in at the road switch back next to the mine. Some one is going through great lengths to maintain the trail. They are regularly putting logs in the connector tail to prevent motorcycles from just ripping up the hill side. As a test i put a couple of logs across the trail on the way in. Well on the way out the logs were removed. In addition to some one had filled in and packed, a couple of rut's that a careless motorcyclist with a heavy throttle hand created. What non ORV types don't realize or even see. Is the organized ORV groups are extremely active in trying to keep users on existing trails. They work with closely with the DNR, to put up barriers to keep casual ORV'rs out of areas that they should not be in.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostMon Mar 23, 2009 11:47 am 
And this is the MAIN reason this place has stayed open for us. Thanks for the GOOD input Hulksmash. Don't forget first weekend of May is clean up and FREE LUNCH up there hockeygrin.gif Last years clean up party. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7966591&highlight=jimbo

Spotly

Spotly
PostMon Mar 23, 2009 12:02 pm 
Re: Lake Isabel slush slog.
Hulksmash wrote:
I did attempt to use the Yak Tracks. Once on the steeper heavier forested slope the Yak Tracks ended up around my ankles.
Yak Tracks Abuse
Yak Tracks Abuse
Great TR and very useful info on the Yak Tracks. I've read about similar problems with these on this site, which convinced me to go with Misrospikes instead. Sounds like you're in the market for an upgrade as well.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostMon Mar 23, 2009 12:35 pm 
Thank's for the reminder Jimbo. I'm hoping for the snow to be melted out by May. That date is rapidly approaching. I've been planning on posting an appeal for help cleaning up the area around the lake. I don't want to do it too early, in the fear it may be forgotten. IF you read the this trip report again i put this in the report.
Quote:
I know the Forest Service reads NWhikers trip reports. So here's a message.. I will be pestering you about that tool box, turned dumpster again when the weather improves.
I made a weekday trip to the Skykomish ranger station back in Feb before work, to inquire about that dumpster\tool box
trash
trash
The Trash Box
The Trash Box
The FS employees i spoke to were unaware of it's presence. They took my phone number, so some one else who may know more about the area to call me back. Just in case it is FS property. I have not recieved a phone call yet. Nor did i follow up with a phone call of my own yet. Due to the snow conditions. Clean up will just have to wait untill spring thaw. Searching this site Sore Feet made mention of it back in 03 https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2178&highlight=Lake+Isabel
Quote:
The lake is just gorgeous. Mountains rise 1500+ feet around the lake, when there isn't any wind, the reflection is outstanding (best I've seen to date). The logjam at the outlet provides nice picnicing grounds, and there's even a dumpster next to a streamgauge on May Creek immediately below the outlet (the streamgauge was particularly weird at that location, but the dumpster just blew my mind).
It certainly looks like a common dumpster. I'm questioned other hikers and rock climbers in the area. They too thought it was a dumpster and were baffled by it's location. This a a problem. Because it is not a dumpster. It is a contractors tool box, commonly used at construction sites to store tools. Because it looks like a dumpster it gets used as a dumpster. A dumpster that no one empties. down.gif down.gif That thing must go. With or without the FS blessing. Because of it's size a few volunteers will be needed to haul it away. Also those inflatable rafts stashed around the lake.....
raft3
raft3
raft2
raft2
raft
raft
They have got to go too. They get washed over the falls. There is now shredded remains of a tarp and an inflatable raft entangled in the talus below the falls. down.gif down.gif I have little doubt the ORV crowd will help pack that stuff out. It's the hiker crowd I'm concerned about. I hope the ORV crowd doesn't shame the hiker crowd by being the only ones who help.

Jimbo

Jimbo
PostMon Mar 23, 2009 1:00 pm 
Ya those Dang hikers are mess makers for sure.. Well I've not been there yet but have it on the list for this year. And I'll be more than happy to help ya chuck it over the cliff. There's a plane on the bottom of that lake still to, last I herd they were afraid of full/oil and battery leakage. Guess out of site out of mind.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostMon Mar 23, 2009 1:01 pm 
Here's a vid i shot of the falls. It just dose not look as steep in photo's or vid dizzy.gif Sure gets pixleated after it gets uploaded.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Mar 23, 2009 1:35 pm 
Hulksmash said
Quote:
Sure gets pixleated after it gets uploaded.
Ah. Somebody else with my complaint about what seems to have happened to Flickr video. ........ But what the hey, Brian, it's still a neat waterfall and a good waterfall video, in spite of the visual stutter.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostMon Mar 23, 2009 2:58 pm 
Plenty steep and tall enough to huck it over.

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Mar 23, 2009 3:08 pm 
Thanks for the TR. A couple yrs. ago we didn't quite make it to the lk. as we wasted a bunch of time getting mixed up on all the dirtbike trails & eventually found ourselves fording a creek & then scrambling up a small stream, ultimately running out of time. dizzy.gif On the way down we found the real trail. doh.gif I've always wanted to go back & make things right. Todd's been wanting to head up there so we may do that soon, & use your TR/map as a reference. up.gif up.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostMon Mar 23, 2009 3:38 pm 
I'm shocked that the FS would have no idea what's going on up there. lol.gif The garbage and mess at Isabel isn't anything new. The lockbox was actually locked when I was up there in Feb 05. I could pull up the lid about 1 inch and peek inside. It was full of garbage and old waders. Someone had lit it on fire, so the waders were melted and a mess. down.gif From what I heard there was a company that did a site survey and prep work back about 10 years ago for the development of a power station. I think that's all the funky equipment and gauges that were put in. Isabel has always been a popular fly in site with the float planes, so that's where some of the boats came from. My first time to Isabel was about 1968. You could drive a passenger car to about 3/4 mile from the lake. Small parking area and official FS trail. Area was logged off in the mid 60's up above and to SE of the lake, so the regular trail was a bit trashed and it was a wide open slope. FS gave up on the trail after that. Tons of little fir trees growing up, but not high enough for shade, so it was HOT as hell in the summer and a nasty wet wade through in rain. Floods in 69 and 70 did a number to the road, so after about 72 it progressively got worse and worse. Actually much of that area is in far better shape than it was back in the 70's-80's. The ORV people have done a good job of rehabbing trails and keeping the area under control. up.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostMon Mar 23, 2009 4:41 pm 
Good info, I drove my 68 Lemans up past Deer Flats till it was 4X4 time. Herd it went to a lake. That was in the early 80's. Well next time someone is headed up there for a day gig let me know. I'd like to tag along, There's some mines up there to.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostMon Mar 23, 2009 11:24 pm 
Jimbo....If i had a dollar for every time i heard there was a lake some where at or near deer creek flat i would be a rich man. I've wheeled up there. I have never found a lake. There is something that might pass for a lake below the flat, just adjacent to the power lines. One look at satellite photos pretty much kills any ideas about a lake past deer creek flat. Unless there is some sort of ORV trail to dollar lakes but i seriously doubt that. I don't think there is any sort of ORV with those kind of capabilities