Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mission Peak 2009.03.14-15
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostWed Mar 25, 2009 7:39 am 
The plan was really to do an overnight on Mt. St. Helens, but the weather forecast was worse than lousy. Rain low, snow high, wind that would make it less than enjoyable. So we looked for a slightly sheltered spot on the east side and decided to go to Mission Peak. It was a short trip, but still fun to do a rare (once a year for me) winter camp. Saturday we had decent weather until the early afternoon when the storm that had forced us to change from Mt. St. Helens moved in and stole the limited views we had. In spite of the weather, and snowmobilers, three of us had a good time tagging Mission Peak and retreating to a sheltered camp above Marion Lake.
Blue!
Blue!
Toward Wenatchee
Toward Wenatchee
Leaving camp
Leaving camp
Mission Peak
Mission Peak
Go sun go!
Go sun go!
Scott
Scott
Tops
Tops
Nice trench
Nice trench
Sunday the weather wasn't as nice, but we were less than two miles from the Mission Ridge parking lot and made quick work descending all the way first to Marion and then along the Squilchuck trail.
"Sunrise"
"Sunrise"
Camp
Camp
Characterless
Characterless
The hardest part of the trip was fighting traffic on the way home. Chains required outside of Easton and avalanche control work along Keechelus added at least an hour to the ride. Blech. Special kudos to the two guys who opted out to spend extra time with their wives in special circumstances. It shows real character to give up a weekend in the snow for family. (Maybe one day I'll have that kind of character, too. shakehead.gif )

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Mar 25, 2009 8:17 am 
Brrrr! I remember crouching down in that righthand notch to eat my lunch, 'cause there was a cold wind blowing, even in early Fall.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Mar 25, 2009 8:31 am 
up.gif A nice spot on a blue sky day, great early summer ! Mission Peak can be a nasty weather mountain. Thanks for the pics, we were looking at maybe looping up from Stemilt basin and doing Naneum Point, Wenatchee Mountain, Mission Peak, and looping back down the Squilchuck trail.

Living in the Anthropocene
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostWed Mar 25, 2009 9:31 am 
Nice report and pics. I hope you don't mind but I attached a link to this thread on my summitpost page about Mission Peak. up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostWed Mar 25, 2009 10:26 am 
CascadeHiker wrote:
Nice report and pics. I hope you don't mind but I attached a link to this thread on my summitpost page about Mission Peak. up.gif
Not a problem at all. There are a few more pics on my site and a long, rambling report intended more for my non-hiking family who think I'm nuts. moosefish.com

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostWed Mar 25, 2009 11:23 am 
moosefish wrote:
Characterless[/img]
Characterless[/img]
Special kudos to the two guys who opted out to spend extra time with their wives in special circumstances. It shows real character to give up a weekend in the snow for family. (Maybe one day I'll have that kind of character, too. shakehead.gif )
Your report was well worth the wait, moosefish.com never fails to entertain! While your compliments to our loyal men are appreciated, I have a sneaking suspicion they were weather dependent. biggrin.gif Glad Julius did well on it's maiden voyage and remember to keep your next Mt St Helen's trip under tight wraps lest someone comment that the forecast looks promising lol.gif