Forum Index > Photography Talk > Critiques anyone?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W
PostMon Nov 21, 2011 1:50 pm 
Chainsaw_Willie wrote:
IMO, a good frame around a picture shouldn't call attention to itself, it should enhance or accent the picture itself. What do you folks think of this one?
Agreed (also with Jim) on the frame, but I hope we didn't scare Tangeman away! :-/ I didn't mean to be harsh what with numbering my thoughts and all. Apologies if it came off that way. CW, I also like it. I meant to try to get a good wave picture, but alas a solid hit never came. I think Jim's comment about increasing the contrast would help a bit. And I'll be the horizon police on this one, but know that it's not distracting enough to make a big difference.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Nov 21, 2011 3:13 pm 
Thanks for the input! I can't believe I missed the horizon... This is a crop from a slightly larger image, so no problem to go back and fix the horizon while retaining these proportions. The original image was even flatter/more washed out than this. I kind of felt the softness of it would lead to the feeling of it being a rainy/stormy day but I'll give it a little more contrast bump for grins. BRB..... EDIT: Here it is with a touch more contrast and the horizon evened out.
And here it is as a B&W with even more contrast added in and some tweaking to even out the exposure. I'm really liking this one.

Gil

Gil
PostMon Nov 21, 2011 6:27 pm 
Chainsaw_Willie wrote:
Thanks for the input! I can't believe I missed the horizon... This is a crop from a slightly larger image, so no problem to go back and fix the horizon while retaining these proportions. The original image was even flatter/more washed out than this. I kind of felt the softness of it would lead to the feeling of it being a rainy/stormy day but I'll give it a little more contrast bump for grins. BRB..... EDIT: Here it is with a touch more contrast and the horizon evened out.
And here it is as a B&W with even more contrast added in and some tweaking to even out the exposure. I'm really liking this one.
I think a vertical 8x10 crop on that image could work -- perhaps even a square crop -- to focus on the power of the wave. I took the liberty of experimenting -- hope you don't mind, Chainsaw_Willie.
Photo by Chainsaw-Willie -- resized to show a vertical crop.
Photo by Chainsaw-Willie -- resized to show a vertical crop.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
JPH

JPH
PostMon Nov 21, 2011 6:45 pm 
Here's a few from a trip earlier in the fall. Any tips or suggestions how I could get more out of my pics would be awesome. Looking back at the album I defintely went heavy on the veritcal cropping... I just use a lumix point and shoot (DMC-ZS10), so that's what I'm working with.
lower lake shore
lower lake shore
Maude and a larch
Maude and a larch
Lower lake outlet
Lower lake outlet
Carne Mtn meadow trail
Carne Mtn meadow trail

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Nov 21, 2011 8:52 pm 
Gil - I don't mind at all, that's a great suggestion. I'd like a little more breathing room around the wave though so went back to the original image and took an 8x10 portrait crop out of that. I like it, but still working on it. Also cropped the landscape version a little tighter to reduce the amount of dark rocks on the left side. Will post up versions of these later.

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostTue Nov 22, 2011 7:10 am 
Willi, I really like the black & white, Gil's crop is also nice (but I also like the horizontal), and the frame adds another nice touch. The only problem I see now with the increased contrast is the rocks loosing detail in the lower left. To add contrast I'd open up the original then add a levels adjustment layer, turn it up to emphasize the wave as needed, then brush it out in the rocks to bring back some of the lines over there.

Gil

Gil
PostTue Nov 22, 2011 8:07 am 
Chainsaw, just passing along some complements on your photo from Bob Noble and Richard Alton over on flickr.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Nov 22, 2011 9:19 am 
For what it's worth, Gil's crop is the one that works for me. It somehow manages to focus attention on the impact point of the wave, as well as the birds. It does change the feel of your photo though, so I can understand if it wasn't what you wanted.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Nov 22, 2011 9:44 am 
JPH wrote:
lower lake shore
lower lake shore
I'd crop a bit of the shoreline away. A bit too much empty space there. Doing so will probably make a feature of the larches.
JPH wrote:
There's a lot of empty space in the foreground. I presume that you wanted to have the eye led to the trees, but the foreground isn't interesting enough. I don't have a suggestion on how to improve it after the fact; the suggestion I'd have is to have shot the photo when the sun was at a lower angle, which might have picked out the groove in the dirt a bit more, or crouched down a bit more, to focus more attention on that groove.
JPH wrote:
Lower lake outlet
Lower lake outlet
Again, no suggestion now, but in future you might want to pick out a single flower more than you have (get closer?) or a clump of flowers while composing the shot. Currently, they are too scattered. My 3 cents...

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostTue Nov 22, 2011 9:47 am 
JPH, those are all good, can't see any technical flaws. I esp. like the first one because the lake frames the trees, and the lines in the shore lead the eye back there. Good light too. I like the second one also and see what you were doing with the lines in the dirt leading up, but that area is still a bit too bland for me so I'd either crop it tighter, or on location zoom into the rocks more. Good depth of field in the stream, gotta love the small sensors for that!

JPH

JPH
PostTue Nov 22, 2011 9:48 pm 
Thanks for the input! I took another shot at a couple of them. I think the stream one is a lost cause regarding different cropping...I guess I'll have to go back to the lakes to re-take it. smile.gif I got rid of some of the dirt in the foreground. Originally I was trying to get the drainage pattern under the rock, but I can see that it isn't all that clear. I think this looks better than the first crop.
tree original
tree original
tree cropped
tree cropped
I cut down on the area above and to the right of the lake this one.
lake original
lake original
lake cropped
lake cropped
Any better?

Gil

Gil
PostWed Nov 23, 2011 3:29 pm 
Wow, that last photo shows just what a good edit will do for a photo. The image leaps of the screen now. Well done. On the image of the waterfall, I would crop down from the top to just above the flow that's directly facing the camera. I think that might improve the prominence of the flowers at lower right. Do you by chance have more of the flower at the very bottom center in the original image?

JPH

JPH
PostWed Nov 23, 2011 8:11 pm 
The first cropping was already at the bottom of the picture, so I can't do much with that. With my first crop I just tried to get rid of the washed out area above the waterfall. Here it is cropped down more:
original
original
new crop
new crop
You definitely see the flowers more, but that last bit of the waterfall is pretty lack luster. It might be a lost cause...

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostWed Dec 07, 2011 4:02 pm 
I know it's all in the eye's of the beholder hockeygrin.gif but is this one too soft?
Rhody Park
Rhody Park

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostThu Dec 08, 2011 7:50 am 
Zachster, I wonder if it isn't soft enough. I'd choose which side I want sharp - the green leaf, or the right side flower (I'd vote for the flower since the leaf isn't that interesting and partially obscured), then blur everything else so that the subject stands out more. Right now my eyes jump back and forth between them.