Forum Index > Trip Reports > French Point
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Mar 29, 2009 6:08 pm 
Yesterday on my trip up to Lake Isabel i kept telling my self, "Your going to sit on your recliner and watch TV." (Shameless plug. Here and Here Volunteer's needed! hockeygrin.gif ) Well i didn't sit on my recliner and watch TV. clown.gif After reading janwalker's Boulder river report. I decided to check out French creek road. Found that the previously reported tree was trimmed out.
The log
The log
I have a good idea who trimmed out the tree. hockeygrin.gif Note the chain saw on the back of this pickup.
My hero
My hero
I was not feeling very ambitious so i did not hike down the Boulder river trail. So i headed back down French creek road. The road has taken a beating. It's full of pot holes. And one culvert it failing. The hole is big enough that if an unwary driver hits it thinking it just another pot hole there going to trash there car! frown.gif Both trekking poles are extended equal legenth.
The sink hole
The sink hole
Since it's easy to not see the sink hole I added an entire roll of flagging to mark it's location
warning flags
warning flags
What does this have to do with French Point. Well French point is up French creek road. Getting there is simple. Just walk up the second gated road on the right past French Creek CG. The road to French point it just before the sink hole. Yep....another off the "beaten" path TR hockeygrin.gif There are views to be had. But in a few years the will be gone, after the trees regrow.
Stilley Valley
Stilley Valley
SR 530 below
SR 530 below
Higgens pano
Higgens pano
It's too bad that the FS just does not have truck loads of cash to throw around. If they cleared an acre on the top and dropped a Heybrook style look out there. This would be a popular place for the view. At least i can dream. clown.gif
French Point
French Point
Round trip distance just under 2 miles Elevation gain, an whopping 550 feet.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential

RichP
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message