Forum Index > Trip Reports > Getting Wet on the Spit 3.28.09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hesman

Hesman
PostSat Mar 28, 2009 4:40 pm 
With a weather report calling for 100% rain and wind, I decided to brave the elements and hike Dungeness Spit today. The wind that was called for didn't amount to any at all on the Strait of Juan de Fuca, which is rather unusual, since there is always some sort of breeze on the strait. It also didn't rain as much as I thought it did, just a light drizzle the whole time. Went with some people that I had met awhile back, actually the last time I hiked the spit a little over a month ago. I stayed in the back with one of the people who doesn't do much hiking, just so she would have someone to walk with, because the rest of the group marched on ahead rather quickly. Just when the two of us arrived at the lighthouse, the group leader was wanting to head back because it was raining. I wanted to stay and rest a little bit and half the group stayed and ate a quick lunch. I have yet to figure out why the hike leader wanted to turn around because it was raining; she knew that when we all started hiking. Odd. Considering it was raining, there must have been about 2 dozen people who walked out to the lighthouse, besides the group I was in. On the way back I was left in the dust by the group that stayed to eat a quick lunch. I didn't care because I was having fun walking in the rain and having a fantastic day being on the beach. biggrin.gif Sorry, no pics from this trip. If my camera was waterproof I probably would have taken a picture of something.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat Mar 28, 2009 5:13 pm 
we had a bit of snow here in port angeles....i opted to do my running on the treadmill....hubby braved the elements and did his running outdoors! showoff embarassedlaugh.gif if you can hike the spit...you can hike the mountains in this weather!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostSat Mar 28, 2009 10:37 pm 
Nice one Bender. up.gif Maybe the leader's rain gear was leaking. lol.gif

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSun Mar 29, 2009 3:03 pm 
The Bends, We had nice weather for a morning on Shi Shi then Cape Flattery on Friday, but Saturday on Ediz Hool was cold and raw and then it snowed hard on us at the Dungeness River! What is this myth of the Blue Hole of the Olympics and some rain shadow crap in Sequim??? dizzy.gif dizzy.gif dizzy.gif Tom

Flora
Enjoying the Sun!

Flora
Enjoying the Sun!
PostSun Mar 29, 2009 5:55 pm 
Hiked the spit one year when it was snowing at Quilcene. It was a windy day. We had to hop over logs and rocks to avoid the high tides, too. Made for a more difficult trip than usual. However, at lighthouse, the sun came out and made for a pleasant lunch. Afterwards, we walked through wind and spray to get back to the cars. Quite a day!

Flora