Forum Index > Trip Reports > Not much - Lower Teneriffe roads 03/29/2009
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Mar 30, 2009 10:58 am 
I elected to wait until Sunday to hike hoping for better weather. Unfortunately due to family obligations I didn't get out very eary. I intended to just head up Si, somewhat leary of the snowbomb/trees heavily dripping. Didn't sound like a lot of fun. In any event I was getting ready to go only to realized I only had one of my microspikes...Musta left the other one at home (luckily that was the case and I didn't lose it). I did have two snowshoes so I decided to drive to the end of the road and walk up the Teneriffe road for a bit. It was slushy slop from the parking lot. I had a little trouble coaxing the no wheel drive van up in the snow just to slide into a parking place.
Parking at the start of the Teneriffe road.
Parking at the start of the Teneriffe road.
Since I could I put the snowshoes on at the car. The snow wasn't deep but what the heck. While it wasn't raining, it was dripping heavily from the trees. Fortunately you could stay out of a lot of it with the wide road, but not enough so that I did put on the gortex.
Hints of views on lower Teneriffe road.
Hints of views on lower Teneriffe road.
Some blowdowns to negotiate. There were tracks up to that first road junction off to the left, then nothing recent.
Annoying branches blocking lower Teneriffe road.
Annoying branches blocking lower Teneriffe road.
I thought about exploring this fork but continued on past the Kamakazie falls junction.
Junction with Kamakazie Falls trail.
Junction with Kamakazie Falls trail.
Shortly past just before the road started up steep, I decided to turn around and maybe explore the fork. With the late start I knew I wouldn't get to the end of the road anyway and was losing motiviation to slog up through dripping trees.
Stream/little falls on lower Teneriffe road.
Stream/little falls on lower Teneriffe road.
Big trees across lower Teneriffe road near before where it starts to climb steeper.
Big trees across lower Teneriffe road near before where it starts to climb steeper.
I couldn't step over this with snowshoes on or go under easily. The road starts to climb just past here. I decided to turn around and explore elsewhere.
I couldn't step over this with snowshoes on or go under easily. The road starts to climb just past here. I decided to turn around and explore elsewhere.
Falls right by big blowdowns across lower Teneriffe road.
Falls right by big blowdowns across lower Teneriffe road.
I walked back to the junction. I noticed tracks going up that way. I intended to see where this maybe met up with the Kamakazie falls trail.
Heading up the alternate road just before Kamakazie falls junction.
Heading up the alternate road just before Kamakazie falls junction.
Alternate Teneriffe road.
Alternate Teneriffe road.
Shortly up I saw about a dozen people coming down this way which really surprised me. I continued on the road. It was pretty easy to follow especially with the trench/tracks. Strangely enough this lesser used road/trail had fewer blowdowns and such to negotiate than the main road, or at least it was less annoying to me. I was expecting more of a wet/sloppy bushwhack. There were a few partial views but it was cloudy/not very good for views.
Hints of views from alternate Teneriffe road.
Shots on alternate Teneriffe road.
I kept looking for maybe where it would join up with Kamakazie (not that I was going up that). I thought I had passed/missed it but kept going further. I kept following but eventually decided to turn around. I had encounted ice pellets coming down pretty good not far before I turned around. There seemed to be clouds hanging around over the area. One I thought I had passed the junction anyway and was surprised the road continued Two I was on a route/area where I wasn't likely to see more people and had told my wife I was doing Mt. Si.... Three it was getting late and I really wanted to get back/dried off. On getting back home and taking the GPS track where I bagged it I was within about 1/10th of a mile from where it should have crossed the Kamakazie trail. So I really felt stupid doh.gif doh.gif I did run into another guy coming up on my way down. He said something that this road would eventually end up where the other road ends. That sure surprised me. On the map it looks like it ends not far from where I turned around. It wasn't climbing much and would have had to start doing some serious climbing. It didn't sound like he was thinking of the Kamakazie falls trail but I dunno. Oh well not like I can't go back. All in all for as wet as I got not the most memorable trip but what the heck. Back at the parking lot the melting was happening very fast and the sun was starting to come out. It was very sloppy in the parking area.
Back to Teneriffe road parking area. Lots of melting taking place.
Back to Teneriffe road parking area. Lots of melting taking place.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Mar 30, 2009 6:24 pm 
No I didn't see it. I suspect though since I didn't get there till a bit after noon if it was there someone else earlier in the day probably found it/picked it up.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message