Forum Index > Trip Reports > TNAB - Lighting up Little Si
Previous :: Next Topic  
yukon222

yukon222
PostMon Mar 30, 2009 5:48 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
A parking lot of TNAB'ers greeted me as I pulled into the trailhead.  (BTW, the new overflow parking lot still isn't open.  I hope they open it soon as on a nice sunny day after work, the main lot can easily be full.)  Almost everyone was early; ready and raring to go - humans and dogs too!!  A few TNAB'ers couldn't resist the call of the trail and started the ascent a few minutes early while the main group departed just a few minutes before six.  Trail was in good (non-muddy) condition almost the entire way.  Recent lowland snows had not stuck around to impact the trail.  Very nice section of the trail where we passed thru a dark yet lush green forest.  Only saw 2 non-TNAB'ers descending the trail as I went up; since the parking lot was almost full, must have been quite a few people on the Old Si trail.

No sunset that night as heavy clouds sans rain filled the sky.  A few refreshments on the rocky summit and people started drifting back down the trail.  Everyone made it back just before dusk (not sure when they actually close the gate each night but didn't want to find out!!).

Hope everyone has got their hiking legs back in shape after the long winter.  This week's hike should be "interesting".   hockeygrin.gif
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Yet

Yet
PostMon Mar 30, 2009 5:52 pm 
Little Si Summit
Little Si Summit
Rich and Colleen reaching the summit.
Rich and Colleen reaching the summit.
Gary reaching the summit.
Gary reaching the summit.
Bye-Bye Drew!
Bye-Bye Drew!
Sweet Cubbie
Sweet Cubbie
Family Portrait by Magnum
Who needs headlamps when you've got Rufus?
Who needs headlamps when you've got Rufus?
Rich with Mazzy (not one of his Aussies)
Rich with Mazzy (not one of his Aussies)
Dan and Scott with Zeus and Athena
Dan and Scott with Zeus and Athena
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostMon Mar 30, 2009 9:13 pm 
Yet wrote:
Bye-Bye Drew!
Bye-Bye Drew!

Are you voting people off the rock this year? How very Survivor!

It was wonderful to see all of your smiling faces at the post-NAB @ Pour House. Nothing like some hiking stories and cheesy bread to celebrate your summit and my new blue cast. Can't wait to start PT in May so I can make the second half of the season, I have a great ankle brace & some shiny new trail runners just aching to get out & see a sunset. Sounds like I'll be just in time for the snow to finally quit falling  suuure.gif
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
gone

gone
PostMon Mar 30, 2009 9:43 pm 
Well this one confirms my glacial hiking pace, as I actually went back in time and arrived at the trailhead an hour late.  embarassedlaugh.gif  Knowing I'd be late coming out I parked on the Snoqualmie Valley Trail and walked over the bridge to the trailhead.  On the way I got a pic of TNABers partying on top of Little Si.

New Bridge, Big and Little Si's
New Bridge, Big and Little Si's
New Bridge
New Bridge
TNAB On Top
1 label
TNAB On Top
Late Sky
Late Sky

It was good seeing the gang again, even if we were heading in different directions!

After passing the last hiker heading out, just before starting up Little Si proper, I never saw another body.  It was very peaceful on top.  The sky cleared and the temps were comfortable, so I hung out for an hour or so taking long exposure shots.  Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to manipulate the aperture and shutter speed simultaneously, so only got a couple of worthwhile pics.

The evening was so nice I decided to head up and around the boulder loop on the way out for some extra exercise, and for a little extra time to enjoy the dark solitude.  I called my wife before coming down from Little Si to let her know my plans.

About an hour later, as I was wheezing into the boulder canyon above the last switchback, my phone rang and on the other end was my wife, frantic, crying, wondering what was wrong and why there was a policeman standing in our house explaining to her that I was lost and had made and terminated a call to 911.  As clearly and confidently as I could I explained that everything was fine, I wasn't lost or injured, and that I hadn't dialed 911.  When she calmed down and explained this to the policeman he explained that there had been a terminated cell call to 911 from somewhere in the area of the Snoqualmie Valley Trail (located by triangulation, I think he said).  The North Bend first responders had found my car parked on the trail, gotten my address, and sent the helpful Snoqualmie city policeman to our house to get details and gray my wife's hair.  Success on both counts.

I promised the policeman I would keep my eyes open for anyone needing help, but never saw another soul.  In fact, there weren't even any searchers at the SVT when I returned to my car, so I can only assume the whole thing was resolved.  Somehow.  Whatever it was.  Phew.

Good times!  Yo, Mailbox, you're next!  lol.gif
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Yet

Yet
PostMon Mar 30, 2009 10:51 pm 
OMG your poor wife!  eek.gif

That's quite a story! I feel so bad for her.

But impressive that the cops were so responsive.  up.gif
gone

gone
PostMon Mar 30, 2009 11:14 pm 
Yet wrote:
But impressive that the cops were so responsive.  up.gif

Good point.  I should have mentioned that, gray hairs aside, it was fairly impressive to learn that authorities would investigate, track you down, and then pound on your door within minutes (an hour, maybe?) of nothing more than a failed cellphone 911 call.  That knowledge will prove powerfully comforting if it ever is me on the other end of that dropped call.
meandmyaussies

meandmyaussies
PostTue Mar 31, 2009 5:43 am 
Yet wrote:

That's really a great shot of you guys!
runningbird

runningbird
PostTue Mar 31, 2009 12:56 pm 
Wow, Great story about the 911 response!  It is nice to know that they figured all that out - I wonder why they didn't just call you back and ask if you were okay?
gone

gone
PostTue Mar 31, 2009 1:10 pm 
runningbird wrote:
Wow, Great story about the 911 response!  It is nice to know that they figured all that out - I wonder why they didn't just call you back and ask if you were okay?

We asked the policeman that and he said they had the cell's location but not the number.  confused.gif

I couldn't (and still can't) imagine how that would actually be the case.  However, the policeman in our house wasn't the one who took the call or did the search or found my car or any of that, and he was getting his info secondhand over his radio in real-time, so maybe it was just confusion in the translation?  An entirely odd situation, for sure.
Dani
Jasper's Mom

Dani
Jasper's Mom
PostTue Mar 31, 2009 1:23 pm 
Lil SI
Looks like a nice evening hike!  I will have to get up there sometime.  I haven't  been there in quite awhile.

--------------
Keeping GeoTom in line since 1998
Yet

Yet
PostTue Mar 31, 2009 5:15 pm 
Hello Dani!  wave.gif

Rufus was wondering where Jasper was.  confused.gif

Apparently, Rufus gets so excited during TNABs that he develops IDS* right before the hike. Consequently, he has to take a TCRAP.

IDS: irritable dog syndrome
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostTue Mar 31, 2009 9:10 pm 
Between the TWERPS thread and the above post  dance.gif  I think it's time to start a Friday night group called Acronyms Anonymous!
Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostThu Apr 02, 2009 3:21 am 
TNAB is always such a good time.  Sure wish we lived close so we could make them more regularly.   hockeygrin.gif  up.gif

Team Schmidt playing catch up
Team Schmidt playing catch up
JK and the Iggy Crew
JK and the Iggy Crew
Checking out the views
Checking out the views
The whippets display their enthusiasm over being leashed
The whippets display their enthusiasm over being leashed
The Iggy-Whippet Crew
The Iggy-Whippet Crew
Pour House TNAB Style!
Pour House TNAB Style!
Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostThu Apr 02, 2009 7:10 am 
Who's the dude that's "GLOWING" at the pub? Was he really lit?

--------------
All the birds have flown up and gone;
A lonely cloud floats leisurely by.
We never tire of looking at each other -
Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Apr 02, 2009 8:44 am 
Aren't we doing Russian Butte via Pratt River tonight confused.gif  clown.gif

--------------
"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trip Reports > TNAB - Lighting up Little Si
  Happy Birthday bad-daddio, RobfromFLA!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: