Forum Index > Trip Reports > Florence, Howard, & Sweet (MRNP) 4/4/09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostThu Apr 09, 2009 12:59 am 
Some of my favorite shots other people took: Opus: Snow dunes, summit, and Luis. Iron: Tracks going up Howard. (Also me on 5255). Trailpair: People all over the summit areas, lunch meadow sculpture.
Scrooge wrote:
I have just one question, Matt: when do you find time to hike? hmmm.gif
When there’s lots of see, I sort of go into shoot-and-sprint mode. It’s sort of like a biathlon. Except with a camera instead of a rifle. And snowshoes instead of skis. And Goretex instead of spandex. And it’s not a race. And you don’t win medals. But there was an analogy in there somewhere. Anyway, today was easy, because the interesting features were right there as we hiked along. I barely had to pause to get lots of photos. Funny to see that the big thing out there, Rainier, only got a few shots, because it stayed pretty much the same the whole time it was in view. It’s all the local details (trees, people, rime, cornices) that made the trip noteworthy. Much more time-consuming was winnowing down the 318 photos I took. I finally gave up and posted too many, but at least it gives a feel for how the trip was just continually eye-catching. A Few More Photos Here are a couple stitched views I didn’t have ready earlier. And one more cornice shot.
One More Cornice Shot
One More Cornice Shot
The Path from FloWard to Howard
The Path from FloWard to Howard
The Path from Howard to Tolmie
The Path from Howard to Tolmie
Glowing Air And one thing that doesn’t show in the photos: While we hiking through the forest, the humidity from snow falling and evaporating off of the branches gave a special glow to the atmosphere. Too faint to be a visible mist, it was like a bit of extra light floating between the trees. Just enough to make the very air seem to have an ethereal radiance amid the columns of snowy trunks.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message