Forum Index > Trip Reports > Smith Rock (Central Oregon) 4-5-09
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
stevefromdodge

stevefromdodge
PostMon Apr 06, 2009 4:51 pm 
Smith Rock has been on my list to do for over a year. It's extremely well known among rock climbers, but there are some good hiking trails, too. On my way back from the painted Hills last year, I dropped in and saw this trail.
I just had to go back. Yesterday, I finally did. The view from the rim is as impressive as ever.
I went right down to the footbridge and started right up the Misery Ridge Trail. This one is fairly steep, but it's only about 700 feet of gain in about 7/10 of a mile. There's no shade though and it would be truly miserable on an August afternoon. Here are some shots on the way up.
At the top of the trail, there's a great view looking back the way we came. The the trail works it's way around the upper area taking in views from all angles.
There's a free standing pillar on the west side called "Monkey Face" for obvious reasons.
Here's a little cave that Micah found. It proved a good opportunity to discuss rattlesnakes, after I checked to make sure it was clear.
The hike back was a lot easier, if longer. The route back on the River Trail is almost 2 miles long, but it's comparatively flat.
If you do this one, take a lot of water and get an early start to beat the heat.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Apr 06, 2009 5:30 pm 
i was just there we basically have the same photos! it's a great place... thanks for reminding me of the fun i had just a few days ago agree.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
stevefromdodge

stevefromdodge
PostMon Apr 06, 2009 6:12 pm 
Yeah, it was your trip report that reminded me I needed to get out there! smile.gif Thanks!

yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostTue Apr 07, 2009 9:07 pm 
Smith Rock - great place. Like a little piece of Southwest US terrain in central Oregon. Hike down Squaw Creek on the Crooked River Grassland to the Deschutes River Canyon. That's a great hike! The Badlands east of Bend were recently designated Wilderness area. That's a decent place to hike too but old, sandy double track can make for difficult hiking.

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostThu Apr 09, 2009 12:30 pm 
Ahh, the popping red colors along the river.. that was so beautiful!

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostThu Apr 09, 2009 12:39 pm 
stevefromdodge wrote:
Talk about cool places to make a fort, great picture!