Forum Index > Trail Talk > Index Galena road update
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Frank

Frank
PostTue Apr 07, 2009 3:14 pm 
The Final Feasibility Study for Index-Galena Rd is posted on the web site. It contains a recommendation to relocate the road upslope into the hillside, away from the river. You can find the full document on the web site - www.snoco.org, search "Index-Galena" or use this link http://www1.co.snohomish.wa.us/Departments/Public_Works/Services/Roads/Projects/indexgalenard.htm

Kim Brown
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
North Cascades

North Cascades
PostWed Apr 08, 2009 8:43 am 
Good to see that things are (slowly) moving forward with Index/Galena. Maybe someday I'll actually be able to get to Mineral City and Silver Creek without riding a bike a several miles just to get to where we used to park wink.gif

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostWed Apr 08, 2009 8:53 pm 
Thanks for the update Frank. Good to know it's taken 2.5 years to figure out they have to move the road away from the river. Well duh! hockeygrin.gif MP 6 is going to wipe out the road there too, so hopefully it will be fixed before that happens. I wonder if that section is being worked on at the same time. I suppose that would be too much to ask for. dizzy.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Apr 08, 2009 10:17 pm 
As of May 1, 2007
Quote:
Due to the complex engineering, environmental and funding issues, as well as permitting processes, it will take at least five and possibly 10 years for repairs to be completed and the road opened for public use.
Gonna be some real wilderness up there, by the time that road gets done. mad.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Apr 08, 2009 10:24 pm 
Since we have already had two "hundred year floods" just nine years into this century, who wants to bet that the road will wash out again before it's even open? hmmm.gif Bottom line: get used to diminished access. It's only going to get worse.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu Apr 09, 2009 12:31 am 
huh.gif fourteen alternatives and only fourty seven pages. The forest service's study as for the white chuck is twohundred fourty three pages and has only four alternatives..what's up with that. clown.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Sultan Guy

Sultan Guy
PostMon Apr 13, 2009 2:42 pm 
Nothing surprising in this study. I attended a meeting a few months after that flood and a guy from Snohomish County said that if Wild Sky got passed that it would make it easier to get funding for the road repair. Well..now we have Wild Sky and no road to get in for many years to come. I guess all those folks who were worried that Wilderness designation would reduce their access were right rolleyes.gif

Any worthwhile expedition can be planned on the back of an envelope- H. W. Tilman
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Apr 13, 2009 9:12 pm 
How far beyond Index is the road closed? I thought I saw a TR from Hulksmash about going up the Trout Creek road but I can't remember whether he was able to drive up there or had to walk...

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostMon Apr 13, 2009 9:44 pm 
It's closed at 6.3 miles. You can drive up Trout Creek Rd. if you have a decent 4x4 or about 1/4 mile if you don't.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Apr 14, 2009 12:35 am 
If you do have a decent 4x4. Be warned anything beyond the Sunset mine is Wilderness area, so driving past there is a no no.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue Apr 14, 2009 1:05 am 
That road's going to be gated and closed very soon anyway. It's been a mystery how it's remained opens as long as it has considering how dangerous that area is around the mine.

Gsnorgathon
Mile-per-hour club

Gsnorgathon
Mile-per-hour club
PostSat Jun 27, 2009 11:27 am 
Index-Galena Road Open House, 2009 July 14
Here's an excerpt from an e-mail I just got: __________________________________ You're invited! Open House Tuesday, July 14 6 – 8 p.m. Monroe Senior Center 824 Village Way, Monroe The open house format will give you the opportunity to arrive anytime after 6 p.m., view exhibits, speak with individual project team members and provide comments. There will not be a formal presentation. For more information, contact: • Tina Hokanson, Communications, transportation@snoco.org or 425-388-3789. • Steve Dolde, Project Manager, steve.dolde@snoco.org • Crilly Ritz, Environmental Planner, crilly.ritz@snoco.org Interpreter services for non-English speakers and accommodations for persons with disabilities are available upon request. Please make arrangements in advance by calling 425-388-3789. Hearing/speech impaired call 425-388-3700. __________________________________ And for those who haven't been following the saga, SnoCo's Index-Galena Road web page.

Gsnorgathon
Mile-per-hour club

Gsnorgathon
Mile-per-hour club
PostMon Jul 13, 2009 6:09 pm 
re: Index-Galena Road Open House, 2009 July 14
Just thought I'd bump this as a reminder for those interested. If my car's back from the shop, I'm likely to go just for the excuse to grab a bite at Teddy Bear's BBQ afterward... If you plan on going, don't forget to do your homework!

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue Jul 14, 2009 1:18 am 
Thanks for the reminder. I'll do my best to make it. I was just looking at the "homework" and is it just me, but did someone use crayons to draw up the maps for the first 3-4 maps? hmmm.gif

Man-inna-hillz

Man-inna-hillz
PostTue Jul 14, 2009 9:32 am 
So a rookie question here: where is the washout? Is it still possible to drive up to the Lake Blanca trailhead up the North Fork Skykomish?

The God of language forgives all crimes. -W.H. Auden