Forum Index > Trail Talk > Index Galena road update
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jun 10, 2019 5:13 pm 
Build it, fix it in 5, 10, 20. If there's no stable place, then use an unstable ones, just like before. Let's not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Jun 10, 2019 7:29 pm 
Excellent idea. Tell it to Snohomish County and the funding sources. Problem solved.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Jun 11, 2019 7:17 pm 
Well I sent a message to Snohomish county roads and the person in charge of the project and here was his reply: Dear Sir: The Index-Galena Road Milepost 6.4-6.9 project had received all of its permits and was preparing to go to advertisement for construction in the fall of 2018 for a 2019 start of construction. Someone appealed the Shoreline permits that were issued for the project to the Washington State Shorelines Hearings Board. The hearings were held in April 2019 and a decision on the appeal may be issued by the end of June. If no other appeals occur, the project could potentially be advertised for construction in Fall 2019 for a 2020 construction start. Crilly R. Ritz | Senior Planner II Snohomish County Public Works |Transportation and Environmental Services 3000 Rockefeller Avenue M/S 607 Everett, WA. 98201 Phone (425) 262-2476|FAX (425) 388-6449 |Email crilly.ritz@snoco.org

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Jun 11, 2019 8:56 pm 
Well, aren't you the smart one in the room! smile.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Jun 12, 2019 5:20 am 
Not really I just like to keep informed

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Jun 13, 2019 11:48 am 
timberghost wrote:
If no other appeals occur, the project could potentially be advertised for construction in Fall 2019 for a 2020 construction start.
Hmm. Is there any kind of limit to the appeals? What's to stop there being endless appeals?

timberghost

timberghost
PostMon Jun 17, 2019 5:34 am 
That's a good question. I would guess it to believe with this individual it to be when his hand gets tired from writing.

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostMon Jun 17, 2019 10:23 am 
It's an appeal of a permit, so this is the only one allowed. Unless there's something wrong with the project, the appeal is the only one but it could take time. Lider isn't necessarily wrong. $26 million for a section of road that is used to reduce travel times by 15 to 20 minutes is a lot of money.

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Jun 17, 2019 11:07 am 
JVesquire wrote:
a section of road that is used to reduce travel times by 15 to 20 minutes
Where do you get that from? Are you familiar at all with this road? The only alternate route to the area this serves is a 30 mile detour over a logging road, 12 miles of which is a single-lane gravel road over a 2600 ft pass that's closed in the winter. People had to abandon their homes after this washed out.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Jun 17, 2019 11:09 am 
I agree it’s over-built. It’s solely not to reduce travel times just for the hell of it. It’s for more reasonable access to campgrounds (San Juan, Troublesome) and trail heads by users, including equestrians, law enforcement, and emergency vehicles for instance. Those hairpin turns leading down to Road 63 aren’t cool for horse trailers.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jun 17, 2019 11:18 am 
The 26 million dollar price tag is indicative of out of control processes.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Jun 17, 2019 11:21 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
The 26 million dollar price tag is indicative of out of control processes.
No, it reflects current construction costs. WSDOT is building a single-lane roundabout on a rural highway, in an existing intersection, near me for $5 million. It's what things cost these days.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Jun 17, 2019 11:28 am 
It’s more than simply road construction. While I think some of it was over-done (I don't recall exactly what was overdone; I haven't seen it in a few years, but that was my reaction when I did), there was a lot of environmental upgrade and better design. Snohomish County has more stringent forest road construction guidelines than many other counties in Washington state, and for good reason.

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostMon Jun 17, 2019 12:56 pm 
That's what the article said.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Jun 17, 2019 2:18 pm 
JVesquire wrote:
That's what the article said.
Environmental design isn't sexy, but getting to trail heads is, so yeah, the article certainly discusses it (note they emphasized EMS vehicles). The design Open House meetings held over the years emphasized innovative environmental design, I guess because the majority of those who actually attend those do care about design. And Snohomish County pulled out all the stops for this road. Perhaps here and there they could have done without something in the design - I think the issue I had with this road design is that it's too wide, but I might be getting that mixed up with another repair, so I reserve the right to be wrong about what I think. hmmm.gif And re: the article in the HeraldNet - good lord, the last sentence is a silly thing to put in there, isn't it. It's a trip report from JANUARY advising hikers the road is impassible to Blanca Lake, as if snow in January prohibiting access to Blanca Lake is testament to the necessity for the repair. dizzy.gif