Forum Index > Trail Talk > Index Galena road update
Previous :: Next Topic  
Author Message
Kim Brown
Member
Member


Joined: 13 Jul 2009
Posts: 5731 | TRs

Kim Brown
  Top

Member
PostTue Apr 21, 2020 12:25 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Windstorm wrote:
Kim Brown wrote:
Ah. I see there was a Shoreline permit that was denied and appealed last summer.

I thought the permit was approved and someone didn't like that and appealed the decision to issue the permit.

Yeah, you're right. I guess I don't know how to read.

--------------
" I'm really happy about this! … I have very strong good and horrible memories up there."  – oldgranola, NWH’s outdoors advocate.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Stephen B
Member
Member


Joined: 16 Feb 2010
Posts: 106 | TRs

Stephen B
  Top

Member
PostTue Apr 21, 2020 5:19 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
ale_capone wrote:
Heh. We parked at the washout yesterday too, which seemed to have just a couple more cars then normal. Never seen so many cars randomly parked along reiter road, and the index galena. I'm not sure what people would be accessing from some of the spots.

Iron Mountain is a fun scramble accessible from the washout.  Something like 4400' gain in 5 mi.  Mostly abandoned logging roads, then offtrail above 4100' elevation.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
timberghost
Member
Member


Joined: 06 Dec 2011
Posts: 463 | TRs

timberghost
  Top

Member
PostWed Apr 22, 2020 6:09 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Have you been up there this past Winter?
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Stephen B
Member
Member


Joined: 16 Feb 2010
Posts: 106 | TRs

Stephen B
  Top

Member
PostWed Apr 22, 2020 9:12 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
timberghost wrote:
Have you been up there this past Winter?

Views of Merchant and Gunn from Iron Peak.
Views of Merchant and Gunn from Iron Peak.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
ale_capone
Member
Member


Joined: 22 Sep 2009
Posts: 585 | TRs

ale_capone
  Top

Member
PostWed Apr 22, 2020 1:00 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Great shot! Thanks. At one time I was trying to piece together a ski traverse of the  Merchant peaks. I tried going up iron for this view, but gave up after jumping over dead fall on steep closed roads. Is that from before or after the snow this January? Alot of trees fell during that event. Good job either way.

Ski traverse looks possible, but not anything I aspire to anymore. I've ridden gunn shy a couple times.

I was mostly speaking of the cars parked nowhere near a trail or closed road, or anything really. Maybe they where out foraging. Devils club tips are coming in(delicious if you haven't tried them). Not sure if there is anything else, like spring mushrooms.

I read that the same way. That the permit went through, and was appealed. I haven't heard the part of the slope not wanting to hold a road, but I could believe it, but I'm no engineer. It can barely hold a foot path.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Stephen B
Member
Member


Joined: 16 Feb 2010
Posts: 106 | TRs

Stephen B
  Top

Member
PostWed Apr 22, 2020 1:18 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
ale_capone wrote:
Great shot! Thanks. At one time I was trying to piece together a ski traverse of the  Merchant peaks. I tried going up iron for this view, but gave up after jumping over dead fall on steep closed roads. Is that from before or after the snow this January? Alot of trees fell during that event. Good job either way.

It's after the January event.  Dead fall was a bit of a bummer but I've been on worse in the Cascades (e.g. Bachelor Creek trail).  The more snow you have the better, obviously, and we hit snow above 2500' IIRC
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....



Joined: 12 Apr 2005
Posts: 2862 | TRs
Location: wta work while in between lookouts
lookout bob
  Top

WTA proponent.....
PostWed Apr 22, 2020 3:56 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote

--------------
"Altitude is its own reward"
John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Kim Brown
Member
Member


Joined: 13 Jul 2009
Posts: 5731 | TRs

Kim Brown
  Top

Member
PostThu Apr 30, 2020 11:21 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Notice came out today via email listserv:

Index-Galena Rd: MP 6.5-6.9 Repairs


April 2020 Update

This project remains on hold pending a decision from the Thurston County Superior Court regarding the judicial appeal of the Shoreline Hearings Board ruling on June 19, 2019, which ruled in favor of the project. The hearing before the court, like many other civil cases, has been delayed due to the COVID-19 response. Hearings are expected to be rescheduled for some time later this year.

Currently, milepost 6.4 to 6.9 is the only area left to repair and remains closed to traffic. No construction is scheduled for 2020. However, we anticipate construction starting in 2021 pending a favorable ruling from the court.

To learn more about the Index-Galena Road project, visit www.snohomishcountywa.gov/624.


--------------
" I'm really happy about this! … I have very strong good and horrible memories up there."  – oldgranola, NWH’s outdoors advocate.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
timberghost
Member
Member


Joined: 06 Dec 2011
Posts: 463 | TRs

timberghost
  Top

Member
PostFri May 01, 2020 6:13 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Lider I think your time is running out.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
ale_capone
Member
Member


Joined: 22 Sep 2009
Posts: 585 | TRs

ale_capone
  Top

Member
PostFri May 01, 2020 7:16 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
That's great news Kim!

I recall something about the lider law? I might be making this up, but i thought he did something with the Audubon society on a different project. Pulled the endangered owl card at the last minute, just to stall the project. Judge said dont do that anymore.  Is that even partially correct, or complete Mandela effect?

Nice shot look out bob. There where several cars stopped taking photos when we passed. And some guy selling walking sticks.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Joey
verrry senior member



Joined: 05 Jun 2005
Posts: 2276 | TRs
Location: Redmond
Joey
  Top

verrry senior member
PostFri May 01, 2020 3:11 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Kim Brown wrote:
Notice came out today via email listserv

What listserv is that?
I might sign up.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Kim Brown
Member
Member


Joined: 13 Jul 2009
Posts: 5731 | TRs

Kim Brown
  Top

Member
PostFri May 01, 2020 3:24 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Bill Lider tries lots of things; the only owl card I remember wasn’t necessarily Lider, but he was very much involved in the legal threats against the Suiattle River Road project wherein the hapless creature (the owl, I mean) was used. Not that spotted owls aren't there; they are (but the road isn't hurting them at this point).

The last ditch effort on that project was Susan Brown (no relation), the lawyer for WELC, cited a study in California where spotted owls’ reproductive hormones were adversely affected by a motocross route in a forest down there.

The effort didn’t work; A) this study was dubious, 1) the Suiattle River road, even in its best condition, is not a motocross route and 2) the Suiattle River road, even in its best condition, is not a motocross route, and 3-16) the Suiattle River road, even in its best condition, is not a motocross route

Link below is a discussion on that suit with a link to the study


http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=840110#840110

He didn't put the stops to anything on the Mid Fk Snoqualmie project, but he was certainly present.

I met him briefly at the Index Galena open house, but he was busy bending ears so didn't get to talk to him. And I met him briefly at the Sustainable Roads Round Table meetings. He  was a relatively reasonable chap to chat with for a bit.  I was table captain and had to slap his wrist with a ruler when he got too mouthy about his views on the subject, but to be fair, the pro-roads guy he was jawing with got his wrist slapped, too, for the same reason.

Roads are quite the subject.

At any rate; it will be nice to get that road again.

--------------
" I'm really happy about this! … I have very strong good and horrible memories up there."  – oldgranola, NWH’s outdoors advocate.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Kim Brown
Member
Member


Joined: 13 Jul 2009
Posts: 5731 | TRs

Kim Brown
  Top

Member
PostFri May 01, 2020 4:51 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Joey wrote:
Kim Brown wrote:
Notice came out today via email listserv

What listserv is that?
I might sign up.

The project website probably has a signup clicky. I've been on the list for so many years, I can't recall how I got on it.

--------------
" I'm really happy about this! … I have very strong good and horrible memories up there."  – oldgranola, NWH’s outdoors advocate.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Joey
verrry senior member



Joined: 05 Jun 2005
Posts: 2276 | TRs
Location: Redmond
Joey
  Top

verrry senior member
PostFri May 01, 2020 7:34 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Kim Brown wrote:
Joey wrote:
Kim Brown wrote:
Notice came out today via email listserv

What listserv is that?
I might sign up.

The project website probably has a signup clicky. I've been on the list for so many years, I can't recall how I got on it.

I submitted an email address to
https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/WASNOHOMISHCO/subscriber/new?topic_id=WASNOHOMISHCO_62

See what happens.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
ale_capone
Member
Member


Joined: 22 Sep 2009
Posts: 585 | TRs

ale_capone
  Top

Member
PostSun May 03, 2020 7:33 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Kim Brown wrote:
Bill Lider tries lots of things; the only owl card I remember wasn’t necessarily Lider, but he was very much involved in the legal threats against the Suiattle River Road project wherein the hapless creature (the owl, I mean) was used. Not that spotted owls aren't there; they are (but the road isn't hurting them at this point).

The last ditch effort on that project was Susan Brown (no relation), the lawyer for WELC, cited a study in California where spotted owls’ reproductive hormones were adversely affected by a motocross route in a forest down there.

The effort didn’t work; A) this study was dubious, 1) the Suiattle River road, even in its best condition, is not a motocross route and 2) the Suiattle River road, even in its best condition, is not a motocross route, and 3-16) the Suiattle River road, even in its best condition, is not a motocross route

Link below is a discussion on that suit with a link to the study


http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=840110#840110

He didn't put the stops to anything on the Mid Fk Snoqualmie project, but he was certainly present.

I met him briefly at the Index Galena open house, but he was busy bending ears so didn't get to talk to him. And I met him briefly at the Sustainable Roads Round Table meetings. He  was a relatively reasonable chap to chat with for a bit.  I was table captain and had to slap his wrist with a ruler when he got too mouthy about his views on the subject, but to be fair, the pro-roads guy he was jawing with got his wrist slapped, too, for the same reason.

Roads are quite the subject.

At any rate; it will be nice to get that road again.

Thanks. Guess I didnt totally imagine that. just wrong on the character.

Any relation to the Brown's of Calderbank Scotland? Karen Brown from Westland, MI?
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Index Galena road update
  Happy Birthday Phlox, Franco, Grub hub!
Jump to:   
Search this topic:

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
   Use Disclaimer Powered by phpBB Privacy Policy