Forum Index > Trail Talk > Index Galena road update
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Apr 21, 2020 12:25 pm 
Windstorm wrote:
Kim Brown wrote:
Ah. I see there was a Shoreline permit that was denied and appealed last summer.
I thought the permit was approved and someone didn't like that and appealed the decision to issue the permit.
Yeah, you're right. I guess I don't know how to read.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stephen B

Stephen B
PostTue Apr 21, 2020 5:19 pm 
ale_capone wrote:
Heh. We parked at the washout yesterday too, which seemed to have just a couple more cars then normal. Never seen so many cars randomly parked along reiter road, and the index galena. I'm not sure what people would be accessing from some of the spots.
Iron Mountain is a fun scramble accessible from the washout. Something like 4400' gain in 5 mi. Mostly abandoned logging roads, then offtrail above 4100' elevation.

timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Apr 22, 2020 6:09 am 
Have you been up there this past Winter?

Stephen B

Stephen B
PostWed Apr 22, 2020 9:12 am 
timberghost wrote:
Have you been up there this past Winter?
Views of Merchant and Gunn from Iron Peak.
Views of Merchant and Gunn from Iron Peak.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostWed Apr 22, 2020 1:00 pm 
Great shot! Thanks. At one time I was trying to piece together a ski traverse of the Merchant peaks. I tried going up iron for this view, but gave up after jumping over dead fall on steep closed roads. Is that from before or after the snow this January? Alot of trees fell during that event. Good job either way. Ski traverse looks possible, but not anything I aspire to anymore. I've ridden gunn shy a couple times. I was mostly speaking of the cars parked nowhere near a trail or closed road, or anything really. Maybe they where out foraging. Devils club tips are coming in(delicious if you haven't tried them). Not sure if there is anything else, like spring mushrooms. I read that the same way. That the permit went through, and was appealed. I haven't heard the part of the slope not wanting to hold a road, but I could believe it, but I'm no engineer. It can barely hold a foot path.

Stephen B

Stephen B
PostWed Apr 22, 2020 1:18 pm 
ale_capone wrote:
Great shot! Thanks. At one time I was trying to piece together a ski traverse of the Merchant peaks. I tried going up iron for this view, but gave up after jumping over dead fall on steep closed roads. Is that from before or after the snow this January? Alot of trees fell during that event. Good job either way.
It's after the January event. Dead fall was a bit of a bummer but I've been on worse in the Cascades (e.g. Bachelor Creek trail). The more snow you have the better, obviously, and we hit snow above 2500' IIRC

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostWed Apr 22, 2020 3:56 pm 

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Apr 30, 2020 11:21 am 
Notice came out today via email listserv: Index-Galena Rd: MP 6.5-6.9 Repairs April 2020 Update This project remains on hold pending a decision from the Thurston County Superior Court regarding the judicial appeal of the Shoreline Hearings Board ruling on June 19, 2019, which ruled in favor of the project. The hearing before the court, like many other civil cases, has been delayed due to the COVID-19 response. Hearings are expected to be rescheduled for some time later this year. Currently, milepost 6.4 to 6.9 is the only area left to repair and remains closed to traffic. No construction is scheduled for 2020. However, we anticipate construction starting in 2021 pending a favorable ruling from the court. To learn more about the Index-Galena Road project, visit www.snohomishcountywa.gov/624.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
timberghost

timberghost
PostFri May 01, 2020 6:13 am 
Lider I think your time is running out.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostFri May 01, 2020 7:16 am 
That's great news Kim! I recall something about the lider law? I might be making this up, but i thought he did something with the Audubon society on a different project. Pulled the endangered owl card at the last minute, just to stall the project. Judge said dont do that anymore. Is that even partially correct, or complete Mandela effect? Nice shot look out bob. There where several cars stopped taking photos when we passed. And some guy selling walking sticks.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostFri May 01, 2020 3:11 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Notice came out today via email listserv
What listserv is that? I might sign up.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri May 01, 2020 3:24 pm 
Bill Lider tries lots of things; the only owl card I remember wasn’t necessarily Lider, but he was very much involved in the legal threats against the Suiattle River Road project wherein the hapless creature (the owl, I mean) was used. Not that spotted owls aren't there; they are (but the road isn't hurting them at this point). The last ditch effort on that project was Susan Brown (no relation), the lawyer for WELC, cited a study in California where spotted owls’ reproductive hormones were adversely affected by a motocross route in a forest down there. The effort didn’t work; A) this study was dubious, 1) the Suiattle River road, even in its best condition, is not a motocross route and 2) the Suiattle River road, even in its best condition, is not a motocross route, and 3-16) the Suiattle River road, even in its best condition, is not a motocross route Link below is a discussion on that suit with a link to the study https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=840110#840110 He didn't put the stops to anything on the Mid Fk Snoqualmie project, but he was certainly present. I met him briefly at the Index Galena open house, but he was busy bending ears so didn't get to talk to him. And I met him briefly at the Sustainable Roads Round Table meetings. He was a relatively reasonable chap to chat with for a bit. I was table captain and had to slap his wrist with a ruler when he got too mouthy about his views on the subject, but to be fair, the pro-roads guy he was jawing with got his wrist slapped, too, for the same reason. Roads are quite the subject. At any rate; it will be nice to get that road again.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri May 01, 2020 4:51 pm 
Joey wrote:
Kim Brown wrote:
The project website probably has a signup clicky. I've been on the list for so many years, I can't recall how I got on it.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostFri May 01, 2020 7:34 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Joey wrote:
Kim Brown wrote:
The project website probably has a signup clicky. I've been on the list for so many years, I can't recall how I got on it.
I submitted an email address to https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/WASNOHOMISHCO/subscriber/new?topic_id=WASNOHOMISHCO_62 See what happens.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSun May 03, 2020 7:33 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
Bill Lider tries lots of things; the only owl card I remember wasn’t necessarily Lider, but he was very much involved in the legal threats against the Suiattle River Road project wherein the hapless creature (the owl, I mean) was used. Not that spotted owls aren't there; they are (but the road isn't hurting them at this point). The last ditch effort on that project was Susan Brown (no relation), the lawyer for WELC, cited a study in California where spotted owls’ reproductive hormones were adversely affected by a motocross route in a forest down there. The effort didn’t work; A) this study was dubious, 1) the Suiattle River road, even in its best condition, is not a motocross route and 2) the Suiattle River road, even in its best condition, is not a motocross route, and 3-16) the Suiattle River road, even in its best condition, is not a motocross route Link below is a discussion on that suit with a link to the study https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=840110#840110 He didn't put the stops to anything on the Mid Fk Snoqualmie project, but he was certainly present. I met him briefly at the Index Galena open house, but he was busy bending ears so didn't get to talk to him. And I met him briefly at the Sustainable Roads Round Table meetings. He was a relatively reasonable chap to chat with for a bit. I was table captain and had to slap his wrist with a ruler when he got too mouthy about his views on the subject, but to be fair, the pro-roads guy he was jawing with got his wrist slapped, too, for the same reason. Roads are quite the subject. At any rate; it will be nice to get that road again.
Thanks. Guess I didnt totally imagine that. just wrong on the character. Any relation to the Brown's of Calderbank Scotland? Karen Brown from Westland, MI?