Forum Index > Trail Talk > Index Galena road update
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Oct 03, 2022 7:27 am 
Bruce Albert wrote:
Although you do mean up Silver Creek do you not?
There were some logging roads up Salmon Creek. I drove for miles up there in about 1969 on a rescue of a hunter. I last drove up Mineral Butte in about 2003.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bruce Albert

Bruce Albert
PostMon Oct 03, 2022 9:20 am 
Schroder wrote:
There were some logging roads up Salmon Creek. I drove for miles up there in about 1969 on a rescue of a hunter.
My bad. I had misread your sentence as implying that Mineral City was up Salmon Creek. There was that very old road heading up Salmon Creek from the first switchback as well as much newer spurs higher up.

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Oct 03, 2022 9:25 am 
Here's a trip report up Mineral Butte https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7977778

Bruce Albert
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Oct 04, 2022 5:53 pm 
For comparison, here's another flood ravaged road repair on a bit more aggressive schedule: ⚠️10/4 FLOOD UPDATE⚠️ Yellowstone National Park in conjunction with the Federal Highway Administration has determined that the Old Gardiner Road (a limited-access road between Gardiner, Montana and Mammoth Hot Springs) will open to regular traffic no later than Nov. 1, 2022. The two-lane project will be extended up to two weeks to ensure over 5,000 feet of guardrail are properly installed for traffic safety. Additionally, Yellowstone asked the Federal Highway Administration to build a new ¼-mile approach road into Mammoth Hot Springs after the project was underway to avoid a 12-15% steep grade on the original road. This new approach has required additional engineering and design to provide a safe road base to handle the 2,000-3,000 vehicles per day that enter the park from the North Entrance in Gardiner, Montana. Yellowstone has also asked the Federal Highway Administration to expand road widths in certain sections of the Old Gardiner Road to prevent restrictions. "We have set incredibly aggressive time frames for these repairs and our contractors have worked at lightning speed to get this road safely reopened," said Superintendent Cam Sholly. "It's essential that we do not cut corners and we ensure the road meets required safety standards prior to opening. It's also essential that we finish the job correctly, so we avoid any problems going into next year." The Old Gardiner Road was determined to be the best and only option to quickly reconnect Mammoth Hot Springs to Gardiner, Montana, after the floods in mid-June. Originally established as an 1880’s stagecoach route, the single-lane dirt road has been expanded to two lanes over its entire 4-mile length. The new approach road coming into Mammoth Hot Springs is under construction. Paving is expected to begin the week of Oct. 1 and nearly 1 mile of guardrail will be installed between Oct. 10 and Oct. 20. If the Old Gardiner Road is completed prior to Nov. 1, the park will open it to public travel sooner.

RodF
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Aug 11, 2023 4:41 pm 
Just got this in my email: Index-Galena Rd Repairs Update: Construction of the new road and bridge is on track to finish in its third and final season. Snohomish County Public Works anticipates reopening Index-Galena Rd near mile post 6-7 in November 2023. Here is a snapshot of this season's activities: Roadway grading is nearly finished. Construction of the new bridge is complete. Painting of the bridge is planned for late summer. Final work wraps up this month on the vented ford culvert. Final paving is scheduled for the end of August. Guardrail, signing and striping will follow in September. Final planting will occur in October. During September and October, Snohomish County Road Maintenance crews will complete spot repairs along Index-Galena Rd in advance of the anticipated road opening to ensure the entire length is ready for vehicles. As a reminder, there is no public access within the project site until county construction and repairs are complete. Thank you for your patience. We look forward to seeing you on the road soon! Follow our progress on the project webpage at www.snohomishcountywa.gov/624

Opus, Anne Elk
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Aug 11, 2023 4:49 pm 
Thanks Randy! I wonder if Crilly Ritz, the county lead on this is still at the county, or if he retired in the middle of all this. Careers come and go during the time span of some of these projects! I am excited to see this road after 16 years. (!)

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
North Cascades

North Cascades
PostFri Aug 11, 2023 6:56 pm 
For a while I thought they were never going to fix that road. Used to hike that area all the time. Looked a bit different a few years back (2012)

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Aug 11, 2023 9:15 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
I am excited to see this road after 16 years.
16 years!! I had no idea it had been that long! I shifted a lot of my hiking activity further north over a decade ago after losing my regular hiking partner, so hadn't been keeping up with goings-on around Hwy 2. Was the long delay due mostly to the citizen and organizational objections to the repair plans?

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Arthur

Arthur
PostSat Aug 12, 2023 8:38 pm 
Crilly was the environmental/public involvement lead for that project. It’s amazing how quickly projects can move when they claim emergencies and exemptions from environmental review, like a number of flood damage repair projects in National Parks.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Aug 12, 2023 9:42 pm 
I think the biggest delay was terrain; it's not stable, and they have had trouble finding a location for the road in that last 1/2 mile of work. I will have to refresh my mind re the particulars on this road. Emergency Repair for Forest Roads ERFO dollars replace as it was before the washout. Any upgrades, as there certainly are with this road, are on another dime. So additional funding had to sourced. I don't recall particulars about Index-Galena. Initially there was kick about the repair from the Usual Suspects, but I don't think that caused any big delays. I recall there were some eyebrows raised at what some might consider an overbuilt design, but I don't know if there was any delay there. COVID likely caused delay. The Suiattle used a mosaic of funds above ERFO because they wanted to upgrade it for environmental purposes. The tribes helped with the successful grant application for RCO grant from the state Salmon Recovery Board funds for some of it. Index Galena likely has similar issues. But I don't know. I do know it's probably complicated. And fascinating. Snohomish (and King) County has among the strictest environmental laws / regulations in the country, so it was always going to take some time. It's kinda funny that the entire Middle Fk of the Snoqualmie road was negotiated , x'ferred to the county, and rebuilt (and subsequent repairs) within the span of the Index Galena saga.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

SpookyKite89, ChinookPass
BeardoMcGrath

BeardoMcGrath
PostTue Oct 17, 2023 8:16 am 
Poking around the MBSNF Road Conditions map and this road is slated to re-open on Nov 4! I am on the email alerts from the county and have yet to get an update from them, however

Scramblin Rover, JimK, SpookyKite89, fourteen410
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Oct 29, 2023 1:03 pm 
Opening November 4th at 2pm
Quote:
Snohomish County Public Works is scheduled to reopen Index-Galena Road between milepost 6 and 7 for the first time since November 2006. The road will open to the public on November 4, 2023, at 2 p.m. An official ribbon cutting ceremony will take place prior to the reopening of Index-Galena Road with staff, project partners, elected representatives, and community members in attendance. The road will remain closed to public vehicles during the ceremony; shuttle service will be provided to and from the Town of Index. What: Index-Galena Road Flood Repair Ribbon Cutting Ceremony When: Saturday, November 4, 2023, 10 – 11 a.m. Please dress for colder, wet conditions. The event is weather dependent. Please check this webpage for any cancellation information. Where: Index-Galena Rd, approximately seven miles east of the Town of Index. There is no public road access or on-site parking for the event; guests must ride the shuttle. Parking and Shuttle Location: Parking options in the Town of Index will be limited. Please carpool to the Bush House Inn, 308 5th St, Index, WA 98256. A shuttle service will begin taking ceremony attendees from the Bush House Inn to the project site at 8:50 a.m. The last shuttle leaves at 9:45 a.m. Shuttle service is limited to approximately 100 guests. For special accommodations at the event or other questions, please contact Julie Kuntz at (425) 359-7490.

mawhetstone, day_hike_mike, ale_capone, fourteen410, Kim Brown, Opus, Bronco, rossb, Tom, Scramblin Rover
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Oct 30, 2023 2:59 pm 
Thanks Randy! Won't believe it til I see it though. Road opening ceremonies are exciting, esp. for the local businesses! Anyone want to place bets on how long it will last? (I mean the road, not the ceremony; unless the length of the ceremony and the temporal length of the road repair are related in your be - it is predicted to rain this weekend, after all).

timberghost

timberghost
PostMon Oct 30, 2023 6:43 pm 
I am sure that place will be crowded now. Hopefully the tweakers don't head up there and homestead like other places. Good thing to cut down on Beckler road hopefully,

BeardoMcGrath

BeardoMcGrath
PostMon Oct 30, 2023 7:18 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Anyone want to place bets on how long it will last? (I mean the road, not the ceremony; unless the length of the ceremony and the temporal length of the road repair are related in your be - it is predicted to rain this weekend, after all).
I sure hope it can make it through an atmospheric river or two. Maybe the El Niño winter will be good in this case!
timberghost wrote:
I am sure that place will be crowded now.
I imagine most of the Blanca Lake traffic will divert along this road rather than Beckler. Considering most of the Index-Galena Road is paved this is probably preferable?