Forum Index > Trail Talk > Index Galena road update
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostTue Jan 31, 2012 5:21 pm 
The impact of the MLH repair work, compared to the natural slide right across the river, was like man adding a dash of parmesan cheese to a plate full of nature's spaghetti. And you know it.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Jan 31, 2012 5:32 pm 
It was not! rant.gif It was more like ground hazelnuts on vanilla ice cream drizzled with strings of warm honey and caramel.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Feb 01, 2012 3:29 pm 
Last reminder that the Open House is tonight: 6:00-7:30 p.m. Park Place Middle School 1408 W Main Street Monroe, WA

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostWed Feb 01, 2012 8:53 pm 
Well I made my way to the meeting. Which was more of a display with people from the county and USFS to talk with. Well it was interesting to find out that most of the road work has been done with the exception of the lower 1/2 mile or so where the South gate is. But as you are aware this won't get fixed for a couple years. The Forest Service is hoping to move the gate(North) down below the two campgrounds maybe Silver Creek area. The forest service would like to move the gate in the spring, summer. Supposedly some road work would be done from Rapid River up which would probably be to allow the increse in traffic. Pictures and info will be updated on the Snohomish County website.

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Feb 01, 2012 9:10 pm 
At least 3 more years to fix 1/2 mile of road & allow 500 consultants to submit 5,000 page reports. Longer if there are any lawsuits or other challenges to the plan. Mr. Lider was there to tell everyone they shouldn't be entitled to emergency road funds.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostWed Feb 01, 2012 9:19 pm 
Which one was Lider? I would liked to have a nice little talk with him.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostWed Feb 01, 2012 9:24 pm 
Thanks for the update SH, I was down in Monroe a few hours ago and would have stopped by, but forgot all about the meeting. Did you ask or know about the new North gate? It was moved about 150 ft. I would assume for the geo thermal work PUD is doing at Garland. Why is it taking so long to reopen San Juan and Troublesome CG's.? There was no damage to SJ and only the lower portion of Troublesome was damaged. This colossal boondoggle is the poster child for all that is wrong with current day repairs. shakehead.gif Hopefully you and others were able to get good cookies. That's really the most important matter. I'm anxiously awaiting a food report from Quark. hockeygrin.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Feb 01, 2012 9:40 pm 
White chocolate macadamia nut, Pecan Sandies, and Oreos. up.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostWed Feb 01, 2012 10:34 pm 
Thank you for the update Q....good to see our State is going all out on cookies!..... up.gif I suppose you asked for a doggie bag too?

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostThu Feb 02, 2012 6:15 am 
My guess is that one of the reasons they haven't opened up the 2 campgrounds is that the Beckler river road from Rapid River over Jacks Pass doesn't really support the additional traffic that would occur. Thus why they have to do road work as they stated. Also I am sure that the Private Land owners had some complaints with increased human activity and the increase in breakins occuring up there. Just a conclusion on the last part. It wasn't like there was an abundance of refreshments provided either.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu Feb 02, 2012 12:06 pm 
Reminds me of this rolleyes.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Feb 08, 2012 8:13 am 
Exhibits from Wednesday's open house have been posted on the Project Website The realignment of the last remaining section of road to be repaired is shown in this aerial view

Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Feb 23, 2012 5:46 pm 
The comment period ends Feb 29.
Quote:
The NEPA EA scoping comment period for the Index-Galena Road project will end next week on February 29, 2012. The purpose of the scoping comment period is to give you the opportunity to offer written comments about what you think should be addressed as part of the NEPA environmental review process. For more information visit the project Web page.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostThu Feb 23, 2012 8:07 pm 
Does anyone have thoughts on what they might comment about? Besides the obvious ones of speed this project along?

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Feb 23, 2012 8:23 pm 
I just generally support the project & want them to know. Just doing that means more and more nowadays - a representative from NC3 and Bill Lider were at the Open House a couple weeks ago. Just so you know.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert