Forum Index > Trip Reports > Copycats find sun on Iron and Serpentine, 4.11.2009
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSat Apr 11, 2009 10:17 pm 
Who needs to think of original trip ideas when you can just pick a recent one to a new destination and hop in the car? The real reason was to escape the bad forecast of course. We left behind rain at Snoqualmie and emerged from our cars under blue skies and sun at the start of the road! Right now one can drive as far as the second bridge, about a half mile up the road, with a 4x4 or Subaru. There is a good turn around and parking spot here. I wouldn't go further though; we found a little Jeep stuck not too far beyond with no sign of the driver. We parked just before the first bridge. After walking the road and crossing the creek we started up the ridge towards Serpentine. No snow at the start but the ground was fairly soft and slick in places. We gained the ridge and continued on with our eyes on Serpentine. Some rock outcroppings caused us to detour around the south side before climbing straight up. Our route took us through some loose scree and steep dirt, not too fun. Beyond the rocks though travel was easier if a little brushy. Near the top of Serpentine we found the melted remnants of footprints, probably from the Schmidts trip. Views from the top were local but good out towards Miller peak. We dropped down to the little saddle on steep dirt and soft snow before picking up an old road headed towards Iron mountain. We followed this most of the way walking in old snowmobile tracks and occasional bare dirt. As we neared the saddle we began to post hole in the warming snow and stopped to put on snowshoes. Post holing was solved but it was still slow going. Near the saddle we ascended straight up to the ridge under crusty crummy snow. A short climb but tiring. Now it was just a short distance to the top of Iron. We continued up, now in firmer snow in the trees. About halfway up we dropped our snowshoes and booted the rest. The snow was very unconsolidated and made for some very deep post holing. The top was a welcome sight! We sat around in the sun, comfortable except for the strong wind, and enjoyed the view. No sign of Stuart but we could see several Teanaway peaks. After some photos and an enjoyable stay we post holed our way back down to our discarded snowshoes and started the descent. Sadly no glissades on the upper slope for us. The snow was far too wet and soft to even get going. We plunge stepped in snowshoes back to the road and began the slog out. Along the way we managed to cut the two switchbacks, save some time, and get in a short slide on old snowmobile tracks! The alternating soft snow and bare dirt made for a few annoying snowshoe changes before we finally put them on our back for the rest of the descent below Serpentine. We used another old road to skirt along the south side and avoid any climbing. Our road dead ended and disappeared around where we'd climbed straight upslope on the ascent. We managed to pick up our trail and followed our own footprints or faint game trails back down to the main road. Surprisingly the stuck little Jeep wagon was still there! Still no sign of the driver or any other hikers all day. Great day to be out! Blue skies, sun, and even some wildflowers! My first glacier lily find of the year!
GPS tracks
GPS tracks
Yellow flower
Yellow flower
Luis climbing!
Luis climbing!
Avalanche lily
Avalanche lily
Route finding
Route finding
Miller peak
Miller peak
Off trail
Off trail
Serpentine mountain
Serpentine mountain
Melting road
Melting road
Snowy Miller peak
Snowy Miller peak
Iron mountian summit
Iron mountian summit
Teanaway peaks
Teanaway peaks
Short glissade
Short glissade
Dancing miners?
Dancing miners?
Summit panorama
Summit panorama

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostSun Apr 12, 2009 7:01 am 
cool.gif That trip looks vaguely familiar. Good to see Luis making his own ascents too. iron- Don't you know that it's always sunny in the Teanaway?

Knows literally nothing
JimK

JimK
PostSun Apr 12, 2009 7:13 am 
Ask The Driver if it's always sunny in the Teanaway?
Quote:
We got started in a light drizzle with gentle winds. That changed part way to the pass as the rain increased and blew sideways in the high winds.
Glad to see you found some sun yesterday.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostSun Apr 12, 2009 7:56 am 
Opus wrote:
We dropped down to the little saddle on steep dirt and soft snow before picking up an old road headed towards Iron mountain. We followed this most of the way walking in old snowmobile tracks and occasional bare dirt. As we neared the saddle we began to post hole in the warming snow and stopped to put on snowshoes. Post holing was solved but it was still slow going. Near the saddle we ascended straight up to the ridge under crusty crummy snow. A short climb but tiring. Now it was just a short distance to the top of Iron. We continued up, now in firmer snow in the trees. About halfway up we dropped our snowshoes and booted the rest. The snow was very unconsolidated and made for some very deep post holing. Sadly no glissades on the upper slope for us. The snow was far too wet and soft to even get going. We plunge stepped in snowshoes back to the road and began the slog out.
Goes to show, "you don't know if you don't go". How many times have I heard myself say that???? Passed up a trip to those east gullies of Miller thinking the snow was going to stay frozen all day based on the forecast. Not into skiing ice at this point but soft wet snow might have been OK. 2 weeks in a row I've miscalculated and went somewhere or did something else. Gotta get back to taking my own advice! If Don and Randy made it I am sure there will be a good TR on how much I missed out!!! I am suffering from reverse SAD, I guess. I really miss those short days, cloudy skies, low sunlight, long cold nights that really preserve the POWDER snow, the beauty of winter skiing, and wonderous travel upon the snowy landscape! I best stop boot stomping daffodil shoots now, I guess Spring is inevitable. J

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
TrailPair

TrailPair
PostSun Apr 12, 2009 7:58 am 
This trip had a mix of everything....scree, slide alder, bushwacking on Serpentine. The rest of the trip was more fun, except for the gloppy snow. The weather was much better than expected!
Luis  did a little climbing.
Luis did a little climbing.
Rocky Serpentine.
Rocky Serpentine.
Serpentine. We went to the left side of these rocks.
Serpentine. We went to the left side of these rocks.
Looking back at Serpentine, and the road that we will follow on the return.
Looking back at Serpentine, and the road that we will follow on the return.
Barry, David and K  at the saddle
Barry, David and K at the saddle
On the road to Iron Mt.  Miller Pk. beyond.
On the road to Iron Mt. Miller Pk. beyond.
Climb up to the summit ridge of Iron
Climb up to the summit ridge of Iron
Descending in soft snow
Descending in soft snow
David and K on Iron Mt.
David and K on Iron Mt.
Bob on summit of Iron Mt.
Bob on summit of Iron Mt.
The summit of Iron Mt. is unimpressive from below.
The summit of Iron Mt. is unimpressive from below.

This thing called work is interfering with my play
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostSun Apr 12, 2009 8:34 am 
Nice avalanche lilly! up.gif

Snowdog

Snowdog
PostSun Apr 12, 2009 9:24 am 
those pics of dirt made my heart skip a beat! I've been looking at WAY too much white - (esp. lately!) Wish I'd been able to join you~

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostSun Apr 12, 2009 10:20 am 
I really like the Luis-cam shot! John, no trip yesterday. Lets try and ski something this coming weekend.

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSun Apr 12, 2009 2:19 pm 
Opus wrote:
Luis climbing!
Luis climbing!
Gus is sooooo jealous! He didn't have nearly as much fun in LaConner - nice blue sky!
Avalanche lily
Avalanche lily
huh.gif Oh really? hmmm.gif shakehead.gif Mr. Kuresman will take you aside . . . . . lol.gif winksmile.gif

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Gabigabs
Trail Breaker

Gabigabs
Trail Breaker
PostSun Apr 12, 2009 2:55 pm 
Great way to escape the rain. Thanks for the report and fantastic pics.

Life is simple... Eat, Sleep, Hike!
Middle E
no more moustache

Middle E
no more moustache
PostSun Apr 12, 2009 4:27 pm 
It was great to see some sun, blue sky, and bare ground, even if it was a harder trip than we were expecting.
Rocky ridgeline to Serpentine
Rocky ridgeline to Serpentine
Saddle between Serpentine and Iron
Saddle between Serpentine and Iron
Looking back to Serpentine
Looking back to Serpentine
Miller Pk behind Kolleen
Miller Pk behind Kolleen
Huddling for lunch
Huddling for lunch
Miller Pk again
Miller Pk again

pithy yet insightful signature
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSun Apr 12, 2009 8:53 pm 
Sadie's Driver wrote:
Avalanche lily  :huh: Oh really?   :hmmm:  :shakehead: Mr. Kuresman will take you aside . . . . . :lol:  :winksmile:
Avalanche lily huh.gif Oh really? hmmm.gif shakehead.gif Mr. Kuresman will take you aside . . . . . lol.gif winksmile.gif
Hah, that one was intentional! I was telling myself the whole trip "Okay, dont call it an avalanche lily or someone will catch it...". Looks like you beat Jim to the punch! lol.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Apr 12, 2009 11:21 pm 
Sadie's Driver wrote:
Avalanche lily :huh: Oh really?   :hmmm:  :shakehead: Mr. Kuresman will take you aside . . . . . :lol:  :winksmile:
Avalanche lily huh.gif Oh really? hmmm.gif shakehead.gif Mr. Kuresman will take you aside . . . . . lol.gif winksmile.gif
Yeah, I wish people'd get this avalanche vs. glacier lily thing straight. Every time someone screws up, I have to hear about it. rolleyes.gif Ever hear JimK get all wound up about this? It's like sitting next to an screeching, angry monkey. So OPUS - DO SADIE'S DRIVER AND ME A FAVOR AND FIX THIS MIX-UP AND APOLOGIZE IMMEDIATELY, IF NOT SOONER! embarassedlaugh.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Apr 12, 2009 11:44 pm 
Nice work! I was going to head up to the Teanaway Saturday and was thinking of getting up Iron via a route from the N. Fork road but the weather had me thinking that it would be cloudy with no views... vent.gif One of these days I'll learn to listen to my own instincts. Also, I'm trying to figure out where this Miller Peak everyone keeps talking about is. Neither the Green Trails or USGS quads I have show a peak with that name in that area. If someone could describe where it is in relation to other named peaks in the area, I'd appreciate it.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostMon Apr 13, 2009 6:22 am 
Chainsaw_Willie wrote:
Also, I'm trying to figure out where this Miller Peak everyone keeps talking about is. Neither the Green Trails or USGS quads I have show a peak with that name in that area. If someone could describe where it is in relation to other named peaks in the area, I'd appreciate it.
Willie, Here's a map of the trail in blue and the road access in red from the N. Fk. Teanaway Rd. North Fork road still snowy from 29 Pines at the moment.
Miller Peak Trail map
Miller Peak Trail map
John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.