Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Most Hated Font
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hesman

Hesman
PostSun Apr 19, 2009 7:17 pm 
Most Hated Font As someone who has a degree in Graphic Design, this is font is near the bottom of my list of fonts to use. Give me Futura or Helvetica any day!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Apr 19, 2009 8:22 pm 
Comic Sans has its place, but I would have to say I hate Courier and almost all of the faux elementary school level-cursive style fonts more. Give me a nice, clean, not Arial sans-serif font any day of the week.

Toonces
unleashed

Toonces
unleashed
PostSun Apr 19, 2009 8:28 pm 

If you show fear, a monkey will bully you.
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostSun Apr 19, 2009 8:32 pm 
Wow. An entire movement for banning a font? lol.gif Think of the good deeds these people could be doing instead of spending their energy on the profoundly idiotic.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
gyngve

gyngve
PostSun Apr 19, 2009 10:29 pm 
I like writing code in comic sans.

Oarboar
Comically unhip

Oarboar
Comically unhip
PostSun Apr 19, 2009 10:34 pm 
I had a buddy who worked for a major daily newspaper as an editor and he loathed Comic Sans. OTOH, in one of the links he provided (can't remember where it was from, though), someone in the comments posted that they sent out their resume in Comic Sans precisely because he didn't want to work for an employer who would judge him on the font he used rather than his skills.

Sadly, right now I'm a poseur. Sigh.
Cursing modern Cursive

Cursing modern Cursive
PostSun Apr 19, 2009 11:04 pm 
Well here is my font rant. The style of Cursive we were all taught in grade school is way too plain. If John Hannock had used this style, his name would never have become the definition of a fancy signature, there is no doubt in my mind. ( ) Look at the Declaration of Independence:
If the Declaration of Independence had been writ and signed with modern cursive, Europe would have fallen asleep reading such a boringly scripted document. zzz.gif
--truly an example of function and utilitarianism mightily vanquishing form and art shakehead.gif How about this Spencerian style? Very nice, no? up.gif up.gif up.gif
In this day, when fortunes are falling, one can still be elegant in their penmanship. Yes, we need to start a new movement, a movement in elegance!
cursive001
cursive001

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Apr 19, 2009 11:27 pm 
Well my cursive was almost bad enough to get me into med school, as is it is about as easy to read as Linear A. Has come in handy as nobody but me can read it. hockeygrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
The Bubbly Hiker

The Bubbly Hiker
PostSun Apr 19, 2009 11:35 pm 
Quote:
Think of the good deeds these people could be doing instead of spending their energy on the profoundly idiotic.
You mean something like getting up at 5am to drive 150 miles to walk up some steep hill in the fog to say you've been to the top of a geographical feature, getting all sweaty and tired, then walking down with blistered feet, getting sore thighs and more blisters, then driving 150 miles back home?

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostMon Apr 20, 2009 2:23 am 
Comrades, I hate the font on junk mail envelopes that looks like "personal" handwriting till you notice your spouse, your kids, your dog, and your deceased father all have envelopes with exactly the same handwriting. Is no treachery beneath them? Tom

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostMon Apr 20, 2009 5:45 am 
No, Bozo, I mean they could form or join any of the thousands of already existing organizations for helping the needy, protecting the environment, working for equity, and so on. huh.gif I did not mean to imply that everyone who does things that are useless to the world at large (such as hiking, sleeping in, owning a cat, posting incessantly on internet forums, watching television, etc.) should immediately cease and replace these activities with selfless and humanitarian actions. I just meant that if you were trying to effect change on a global scale, your energies could be spend on something that is actually of consequence. It just seems profoundly silly to try to ban something simply because you are irritated by it.

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostMon Apr 20, 2009 6:44 am 
Periodic Table of Typefaces.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
ree

ree
PostMon Apr 20, 2009 6:58 am 
For personal reasons, I hate Papyrus. I designed a title sequence for a film, that was Magritte inspired.
I pitched a collection of really cool vintage fonts, and the director dug up Papyrus told me to use that instead. bawl.gif
It is such a common font, I can't drive through town without seeing it on every Korean nail salon, spa, or health food store. I love script fonts, but most people shy away from them because they think they're not "readable." I hate Hobo too. Unless I was designing an art nouveau poster. Even then, I wouldn't use it. It's ugly IMO.

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostMon Apr 20, 2009 7:23 am 
ree - Script fonts are difficult to read (well, some of them, anyway). I think they definitely have their place, though! Unfortunately, many people don't know when enough is enough (I assume this is also the problem with Comic Sans). Many of my colleagues actually forbid their students from using script fonts because trying to read a three page essay in, say, Gigi, is enough to make their eyes bleed.

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Apr 20, 2009 9:33 am 
Basically I dislike anything that is tough to read. Actually sometimes small fonts can be as or more annoying than the actual font itself. Some people use these fancy looking fonts in everyday life thinking they are cool/cute, which is fine for occasional stuff but if it's something of content that you actually have to read....