Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Most Hated Font
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostMon Apr 20, 2009 10:34 am 
I've learned the hard way that when you want to sell things to the general public, you need a basic, legible font. Nothing fancy, nothing that makes people want to reach for their reading glasses, nothing that makes people already wearing their reading glasses want to ask what the label says. Because the things is, most people seeing a label they can't read right away will just put the item down and walk off. As such, my labels and shelf-talkers are all done in Century Schoolbook now. It's boring, it's a font that's been around since God made dirt, and it's really easy to read.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostMon Apr 20, 2009 12:07 pm 
I absolutely loathe the font Mistral. For some reason a lot of businesses seem to think it's a good idea to write their logos in uppercase Mistral, making it nearly impossible to read. gag.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Apr 20, 2009 12:30 pm 
We'll be sure to include all these fonts on the next NWH Calendar. hockeygrin.gif For the 2009 NWH Calendar I originally had the picture captions in Mistral. Karen2 suggested Comic Sans. Ultimately went with Arial for consistency.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Apr 20, 2009 1:31 pm 
Mistral screams the 80s to me. Even one of my long time favorites, Papyrus, has become overused and dated for me. It was perfectly fine as long as only Letraset was selling it; basically died a slow painful death of overuse once others started cloning it. Kinda sad, really. (Heh, noticed Ree has the same reaction and for the same reason.) Certain classic faces always work for me, though. Stone Serif and Stone Sans, for example. The Kabel family even works well, even though it ended up getting quite a bit of exposure in the late 90s. And Mason has always been a neat face, even if it ends up getting overused by goth bands on their cover artwork. (I'm guessing the fact that it was originally called "Manson" for it's initial European release helps give it a slightly creepy vibe.) I've always loved Palatino, even if it came standard on so many machines and as such, ended up getting loved to death and overused. It's just a classy serifed face. Especially love the capital P. And Caslon Antique will always remain a favorite (except for the stupidly stunted capital R) as it evokes memories of my youth and the sounds of The Sisters of Mercy reverberating against the walls of my dorm room.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
ree

ree
PostMon Apr 20, 2009 3:47 pm 
I think we have the same taste in fonts, Mike.
^^^^Don't use this font unless it's for your 6 year old's birthday party invitation.

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostTue Apr 21, 2009 11:08 am 
Here's a cool website that lets you compare three prospective fonts side-by-side, with options for size, alignment, color, etc.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
ree

ree
PostTue Apr 21, 2009 11:33 am 
Hey that looks pretty useful there, kleet!

HunterConservationist

HunterConservationist
PostTue Apr 21, 2009 12:29 pm 
HJT wrote:
Most Hated Font As someone who has a degree in Graphic Design, this is font is near the bottom of my list of fonts to use. Give me Futura or Helvetica any day!
Caught the article in the WSJ. Can't see why it's a big deal. Don't like it, don't use it, end of story.

touron

touron
PostWed Dec 17, 2014 9:36 pm 
*bump* This article gives a short history of penmanship, from Carolingian script to copperplate to Spencerian script to the Palmer Method. I think Spencerian script is what I need to learn. agree.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Chico

Chico
PostWed Dec 17, 2014 10:58 pm 
Amazing these links still work!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Dec 17, 2014 11:49 pm 
HC wrote:
Can't see why it's a big deal. Don't like it, don't use it, end of story.
^ true. with all the other options available, I'm surprised anyone would use that font for any purpose other than a kid's birthday card. it's really not even good comic-book material - not all all evocative of action, like what you'd find in a Batman or Spiderman comic book. but hey, it could be worse. be glad Peter Max was just a passing fad.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Nisquaww
Hot balls

Nisquaww
Hot balls
PostThu Dec 18, 2014 12:09 am 
Touron still diggin' up the gems.

"Why do you have a beard?" "I don't have a beard. It's just the light; it plays funny tricks." ~ Shel Silverstein
tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Dec 18, 2014 9:23 am 
Gotta love the old thread bumping of late. lol.gif bump....

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Dec 18, 2014 10:30 am 
Well, I never could figure out why anyone would want to use "wingdings"...not that I spent much time actually worrying about it though.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Dec 18, 2014 12:40 pm 
tigermn wrote:
Gotta love the old thread bumping of late. lol.gif bump....
Does this indicate that Cabin Fever has reached such a frenzied state, that people are running out of things to whine about? Or maybe just a lack of imagination, which could also breed hating any but the most boring fonts? Come on folks, look at how many episodes of The Simpsons there are....Obviously there are enough subjects to whine about, without having to revive 6 year old threads. I think I will start whining about the lack of creativity in people's whining. hockeygrin.gif

friluftsliv