Forum Index > Trip Reports > Queets
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun Apr 19, 2009 6:55 pm 
I was here just 3 weeks ago but I really wanted to get back and see how spring is coming along in the rainforest. I had a little party to attend at one of my friends house in Puyallup on Saturday, so I thought this would be a good day to continue on over to the Olympics afterwards. My boys had b-ball games so my wife handled that this weekend and I was by myself. I arrived at the Queets campground at 4:30 p.m. and wanted to get a quick hike in before it got dark and before I had to set up camp. I headed out on the Sam's River trail and took many different side trails that I didn't take last time. I found an old logging road uphill and took many elk and deer trails back towards the water. I went on some gravel bars and little forest islands that the river has created. At the around 6:00, I decided to go back and set up camp. As I was hiking in the woods near the river, I noticed something moving near the gravel bar. I stopped and I noticed that it was a bear. It wandered downstream for a little bit as I slower walked and watched it. When it started to go into the woods, I went toward the river. I didn't see it anymore, so I started to make some noise so that we didn't surprise each other and that it now knows someones around. I waited awhile and went back into the woods along the trail and the bear reappeared up ahead. After I made some more noise, it took off running away. That was a cool experience that made my day. Back at camp, the campers next to me said that they saw a bear cross the road on the way to the campground. Anyways, the bears are now out.
alders
alders
flowers
flowers
bear
bear
I set my tent up and had somemore time, so I went a little down the Sam's Loop trail before it got too dark. My neighbors were friendly and invited me over to hang out for a while before I headed to bed. I woke up early and grabbed my raft to cross the Queets river and I was hiking by 6:30. I immediately ran into a few elk that were grazing in one of the grassy areas. A little later, I ran into a bull elk by itself. It took a while for him to notice me but I eventually scared him off. At the site of the old ranch, I wandered around and saw the remains of buildings and a vehicle from many years ago. I then followed more game trail towards the river and ran into 3 more elk. I walked the river for a while before turning around. It was nice to see that spring is started to come to the forest.
building remains
building remains
vehicle remains
vehicle remains
grasses coming up in a swamp
grasses coming up in a swamp
forest across the river
forest across the river
swamp and mosses
swamp and mosses
top of the tree stuck into the ground next to its snag along the Queets road
top of the tree stuck into the ground next to its snag along the Queets road

Eric Eames
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostSun Apr 19, 2009 7:01 pm 
So the bears are out... Very cool. up.gif

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Apr 19, 2009 7:37 pm 
Bears, oh my! lovely triliums!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Aaron Solem

Aaron Solem
PostMon Apr 20, 2009 9:58 pm 
The Queets is on my to do list for this spring, maybe this weekend. Is it possible (wise) to ford the river without a raft?

gone

gone
PostMon Apr 20, 2009 11:37 pm 
raising2hikers wrote:
Back at camp, the campers next to me said that they saw a bear cross the road on the way to the campground.
Q: Why'd the bear cross the road? A: To show the opossum how it's done. biggrin.gif Thanks for the pics and update, I've got to get over there this summer!

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Apr 21, 2009 12:02 am 
Your two pictures of 'remains' remind me of when I think of the world after we are all gone.

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostTue Apr 21, 2009 4:24 pm 
Aaron Solem wrote:
The Queets is on my to do list for this spring, maybe this weekend. Is it possible (wise) to ford the river without a raft?
The river was slightly higher than it was 3 weeks ago and I didn't see any good spots to go across without the raft. I was hoping I wouldn't have to use it but I'm glad I brought it along. Sam's river was easy. Possibly with a dry week, the water level might fall some, if the snow melt doesn't cancel it out too much. Here's a link to the water level on the Queet's river. http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?12040500

Eric Eames
Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!
PostMon Apr 27, 2009 9:13 pm 
Thanks for the memories. I haven't been up the Queets trail since I was about 10 with my father. By the way, the remains sit in Andrew's field. I remember walking around in the fully erect barn there and also at Smith's Place a couple miles up river. Glad to see you got a across the river without a problem. I plan on taking a four day trip up there later this summer, I'm going to see how far up the trail I can get. Should be a good time. Anyway, thanks for the report.