Forum Index > Trip Reports > Camp Muir White Out
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Spotly

Spotly
PostThu May 07, 2009 8:17 am 
Bloated Chipmunk wrote:
Perhaps they are trying to get this thread to join the ranks of my Hibox TR. 10 pgs. & over 8,000 views. embarassedlaugh.gif
11 pages and 8901 views. Put something in your next one about stomping on snakes or spilling your Starbucks on the trail and you might stand a chance of recovering your title smile.gif

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostThu May 07, 2009 12:15 pm 
Dayhike Mike wrote:
Josh wrote:
I had a extremely ambisous feeling like I was super man or something like that, and that dispite the problems it did'nt scare me.
That's kinda the point of all the criticism. That sort of "what the hell, let's just do it" is going to get you killed. The "I feel like Superman" crap means you're thinking with the wrong head. Dial it down a notch and knock off the bravado. The fact that you were way beyond your skill level, in a dangerous situation, and it didn't scare you a little just means you aren't experienced enough to realize what could have happened to you, NOT that you were well equipped for the hike at hand.
Quote:
This hike is not beyond my level of experience
Repeat that to yourself as you're wedged at the bottom of a crevasse, legs broken, and your life draining away as you slowly freeze to death. Just saying something doesn't make it so. down.gif
I think you misunderstood what I was saying..... The Superman thing, that was how I was before, If I still believed that I was, why would I have posted that I would'nt do it again......... (with the equipment and weather and unropedness) doh.gif Second if in perfect weather it was beyond my skill level even then, why the heck would I be going to the mountains at all? That would mean that any hike in good weather I should'nt go on..... But I like the poster that came with your post, seems intimedating.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostThu May 07, 2009 12:25 pm 
Snowbrushy wrote:
Josh wrote:
This hike was important to me because I needed a challenge, or physical challenge. Sometimes the challenges of daily life are not as satisfying to me as adventures.
Josh, Thanks for the great report! If you want a free GPS PM me. I don't need mine anymore. Also, you should join The Mountaineers Club - up.gif
Sent you a PM.... that would be awesome!!! Man, did'nt know there were so many generous people here on nwhikers, not only with advice, but now gear. biggrin.gif Thanks!
Spotly wrote:
Bloated Chipmunk wrote:
Perhaps they are trying to get this thread to join the ranks of my Hibox TR. 10 pgs. & over 8,000 views. embarassedlaugh.gif
11 pages and 8901 views. Put something in your next one about stomping on snakes or spilling your Starbucks on the trail and you might stand a chance of recovering your title smile.gif
Star Bucks is pretty expensive, what do you think I am rich? guns.gif Recovering my title? What do you mean by that. hmmm.gif

Tazz

Tazz
PostThu May 07, 2009 12:25 pm 
he was talking to bloated chipmunk.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostThu May 07, 2009 12:26 pm 
tazz wrote:
he was talking to bloated chipmunk.
Woops my bad. clown.gif

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu May 07, 2009 12:32 pm 
Josh wrote:
Second if in perfect weather it was beyond my skill level even then, why the heck would I be going to the mountains at all? That would mean that any hike in good weather I should'nt go on.....
There are plenty of hikes, plenty of destinations, plenty of things you can do right now SAFELY with your existing skillset. There are even things you can attempt that will stretch and expand that skillset and give you experience that will help you out in the long run. The point is that you seem to have no recognition of the fact that glacier travel is dangerous without the proper gear and training, and that you're simply tempting fate by going on trips which you are not equipped or skilled enough to deal with. If you really want to die, then by all means, continue tempting fate and don't get the training and gear you need to do those trips safely. Just let me know so I can get that $500K STOLI policy in force -- I promise to send half of the proceeds to your mother so she can bury you in style.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
reststep

reststep
PostThu May 07, 2009 12:42 pm 
Josh, I don't know if you have seen this park service map with Camp Muir Bearings but in case you haven't I will post the link. It won't help for the trip in this report but could in the future. Camp Muir Bearing Map Great report and pictures. Please be careful out there. I want to keep reading your reports.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostThu May 07, 2009 1:45 pm 
Dayhike Mike wrote:
The point is that you seem to have no recognition of the fact that glacier travel is dangerous without the proper gear and training, and that you're simply tempting fate by going on trips which you are not equipped or skilled enough to deal with. If you really want to die, then by all means, continue tempting fate and don't get the training and gear you need to do those trips safely. Just let me know so I can get that $500K STOLI policy in force -- I promise to send half of the proceeds to your mother so she can bury you in style.
I do realize that, which is why I don't plan on doing that again, the climber guys made it seem like it was safe, and I suckered for it and now know better. And of coarse I don't want to die, if anything I want to live more than most people. Now I'm the opposite when you say get burried in style, I would want some of the body parts donated and well I don't really care how I get burried, just so long as they don't cremate me!

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostThu May 07, 2009 1:47 pm 
reststep wrote:
Josh, I don't know if you have seen this park service map with Camp Muir Bearings but in case you haven't I will post the link. It won't help for the trip in this report but could in the future. Camp Muir Bearing Map Great report and pictures. Please be careful out there. I want to keep reading your reports.
Thanks! biggrin.gif I believe we took this route for the most part, although perhaps at times we may have been further east, but did pretty good.

Tazz

Tazz
PostThu May 07, 2009 1:48 pm 
Quote:
Now I'm the opposite when you say get burried in style, I would want some of the body parts donated and well I don't really care how I get burried, just so long as they don't cremate me!
morbid...climbers just don't talk like that dude! That is just bad ju ju... shakehead.gif

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostThu May 07, 2009 1:49 pm 
tazz wrote:
Quote:
Now I'm the opposite when you say get burried in style, I would want some of the body parts donated and well I don't really care how I get burried, just so long as they don't cremate me!
morbid...climbers just don't talk like that dude! That is just bad ju ju... shakehead.gif
What can I say, I'm not a fancy guy!

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostThu May 07, 2009 7:19 pm 
I can't believe this thread is still going. confused.gif confused.gif Josh, check your email.

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostThu May 07, 2009 7:20 pm 
Josh wrote:
And of coarse I don't want to die,
doof.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostTue Jun 02, 2009 7:57 pm 
Man, you guys say so much about how wrong I was here which in ways yes, but in this thread Cascade Pass Adventures was the real scary trip, or atleast the one were I have a photo of me drinking soda, but you guys seemed all "nice trip report" but no complains....... well except for my paragraphs.

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostTue Jun 02, 2009 9:03 pm 
Bloated Chipmunk wrote:
doof.gif