Forum Index > Trip Reports > Camp Muir White Out
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
BirdDog

BirdDog
PostMon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 am 
Josh; We have been hard on you here. We are an on-line community, you are part of that. We care about you. Don't get discouraged by what we have said, learn from what we have said. We are trying to keep you from getting hurt or killed. Please take some time to think back on what dangers you put yourself in, and what the consequences could have been. You did a good job of finding your way back. But would you be alive this morning if you got lost and didn't get back to Paradise? It is extremely easy to get lost up there in the conditions you were in. Would you been able to descend if temps dropped and turned the Muir snowfield into ice? Could you have survived the night if you brother had slipped and hit his head? Temps were in the 20's overnight at Paradise. You obviously have a great love of climbing. Slow down and be safe so you can enjoy the wonderful feeling climbing gives you for years to come. Don't spend your last moments of life lying in the bottom of a crevasse wondering how your friends and family will deal with your death or if you are lucky how you would deal with months of rehab from a broken back. Take Care

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Teddy Roosevelt August 6, 1912
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Apr 27, 2009 8:39 am 
Josh, the thing you need most is more experienced companions. I'm not talking about older people like Eastking, who are happy to have you along and more than willing to share what they know. I'm talking about kids closer to your own age, kids who have the same interests and drives that you do, but who happen to have acquired the knowledge and experience that lets them make informed decisions when they're charging up and down the mountains; kids for whom having the right equipment has become just something they do. I know they're out there. I can't tell you how to find them. When I was your age, in cave country back East, they were in my high school. I was lucky. You may have to look further. The people who's athletic interests lie outside of school don't show up the way the kids in the school athletic programs do. It's quite likely that they just do their own thing and don't advertise. There'll still be ways to find them. Particularly with the internet, there are going to be pathways that old fogies like me don't know about. Start using them. Maybe some of the people here on nwhikers will have ideas about where to find them. Your "teachers" don't have to be certified by the Mountaineers. You know that a lot of the things you're doing are dangerous; you even know when you need more information and what a lot of the right questions are. You just need to be with somebody that already knows a lot of the answers. Josh, you're not by yourself. I guarantee there are other kids out there who will appreciate your heart and drive, and who will welcome you to their group. ........ Make finding them your next mountain.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Spotly

Spotly
PostMon Apr 27, 2009 9:19 am 
Seriously, stick to some easy trails (no intersections, well marked, low elevation...preferably paved and covered). Leave the mountains (and moderate trails for that matter) to people who have a little more respect for them...and for their partners.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Apr 27, 2009 9:31 am 
I believe this kid is feeding off of all the attention. Go ahead, get yourself killed, I won't read the TR by the survivors. You are on "ignore". down.gif

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostMon Apr 27, 2009 9:42 am 
Josh, I'm just going to point out that one of the hardest, and most necessary, things to learn is when to back away. I *know* it's hard to wake up in the morning after a long drive to the trailhead, look at the weather, and give up on the trip. But that's exactly what you need to do sometimes. The mountain isnt' going anywhere, it'll still be there when the weather and the timing is better. You, however, might not live to see another day if you push the conditions. You admit in your trip report that you almost walked off a cliff without even seeing it.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Apr 27, 2009 9:46 am 
Slugman wrote:
I believe this kid is feeding off of all the attention. Go ahead, get yourself killed, I won't read the TR by the survivors. You are on "ignore". down.gif
That was my initial thought. I mean could anybody really be that stupid/naive after all the repeated advice and warnings to continue to go out unprepared?

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Apr 27, 2009 9:56 am 
I'm not trying to be mean. Sometimes you must be cruel to be kind. I just don't want to read about the upcoming tragedy.

Tazz

Tazz
PostMon Apr 27, 2009 10:02 am 
Josh has had many challenges in his short 16 yrs. None of which is his fault! He is NOT stupid or naive tigerman! I do think he needs a mentor though. Unfortunately I cannot do that for him. frown.gif

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Apr 27, 2009 10:02 am 
Slugman wrote:
I'm not trying to be mean. Sometimes you must be cruel to be kind. I just don't want to read about the upcoming tragedy.
Well either it's being stupid or craving the attention/trying to impress or maybe a combination of the two. Some might say being 16 is an excuse, but after all this I don't even buy that anymore.... Sorry but that's the way I see it. Josh if that's not the case, start acting differently/more sensible.

fwb

fwb
PostMon Apr 27, 2009 10:14 am 
I've lost friends in the wilderness. It still hangs on me having watched them die. They were experts took a risk and now all of use related are haunted, just simple accidents... Think of more then yourself out there. You are risking the life of the rescuers that would be sent out to recover your body or at least look for it. Are you really willing to risk their lives for your foley? Even if found how do you think those that love you will feel? Find some good experienced leaders and do your trips with them. Join a group where you will learn a wealth from their knowledge and experience. As it is from your putting yourself at high risk and poor decisions it will become harder to find a group willing to take you. Be humble and start mellow. There are trips on these forums I love reading about, but would not do. Sometimes it is better to live vicariously and for another day. There is a reason why the legends of climbing are still alive. They know what to take, use it and will turn around and save for another day if even the simplist thing points toward things going wrong. I've had days I wanted to keep on and a very old friend in his wisdom said we'd save it for another day. One less summit, though a lifetime for more. The adventures are fun, though the congnitive reasoning while doing them needs more time to grow and mature. It is part of life growth. I hope you will have the patience. Be safe.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Apr 27, 2009 10:15 am 
Josh, in case you didn't get my earlier tongue in cheek joke re: the STOLI policy, here's more of the same unsolicited advice: slow down, engage your brain, and knock off the wild west antics. There's *NO* (zip, zilch, zero) pride in simply becoming another statistic.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostMon Apr 27, 2009 10:38 am 
tazz wrote:
Josh has had many challenges in his short 16 yrs. None of which is his fault!
The mountains do not take this into account, people perish there regardless of their other challenges in life. Actions speak louder than words and while Josh maybe a wonderful person his behavior does not display intelligent decision making. All joking aside, he has endangering himself & others on his recent trips. I would not call that mountain ambition, I would call it *EDIT by me: removed as nothing nice to say, etc.*

cartman

cartman
PostMon Apr 27, 2009 10:54 am 
jenjen wrote:
Josh, I'm just going to point out that one of the hardest, and most necessary, things to learn is when to back away.
Absolutely. See my Damnation trip report for a good example of when bad judgment overrides good sense: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7974370 Experience includes learning from your mistakes. That doesn't mean you should go or continue and make those mistakes to gain that experience. Josh, you do not have the knowledge or experience to exercise good judgment. As my TR shows, even experienced people sometimes exercise bad judgment. But I almost always learn more from my failures than my successes. Which is not to say that you with your lack of experience should be going out on your own just so you can learn. Go with people who know what they're doing. Observe and learn, and ask questions. That's what I did. Ask them about mistakes they've made and what they learned from them. See what they're doing right and learn from that. During and after every trip think about what you and the group did right and what you did wrong, and what you are unsure about. Take a climbing course and an avalanche course. Several good options of each are offered in the area. And if you can't take one right away, have the patience to wait until you can.

Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostMon Apr 27, 2009 11:00 am 

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
wamtngal

wamtngal
PostMon Apr 27, 2009 12:54 pm 
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, but technically Josh, you weren't even supposed to be out on the Cowlitz. From Mt. Rainier's climbing webpage:
Quote:
Anyone younger than 18 years of age must have the permission of a parent or legal guardian before climbing above normal high camps. Climbers must register and pay the climbing fee prior to climbing and must check out upon return. Anyone climbing on glaciers, or above 10,000 feet, must register and pay the climbing fee.
Quote:
CLIMBING FEES, PERMITS & RESERVATIONS Climbing Pass (required) Required for all who plan to climb above 10,000 feet or onto any glaciers. All climbers must present or purchase their Mount Rainier Climbing Pass and a valid photo I.D. at the time they register for their climb.
So not only were you treading across snow covered crevasses on the Cowlitz, you were doing so unauthorized (as in illegal) by MRNP. You are lucky a ranger wasn't up there to chew you out.

Opinions expressed here are my own.