Forum Index > Trip Reports > Snow Peak in the Kettle Range -- 27 April 2009
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostTue Apr 28, 2009 11:41 pm 
Looking at Snow Peak along the Kettle Crest south of Sherman Peak.
1 label
Looking at Snow Peak along the Kettle Crest south of Sherman Peak.
Ever since hiking to the top of Sherman Peak with Tanner (AKA Trailjunky) last December, I've been eager to get back into the area for some further adventures. It's been too long since I've had any major trips to the mountains and I was determined to get out no matter what the weather tried to impose on me. The skies were overcast, but not too threatening as I crossed Lake Roosevelt and headed up Highway 20 toward Sherman Pass. That soon changed as raindrops started hitting my windshield. My concern over rain soon ended however when the precep started to turn into snow. Still, after 2 hours of driving, I wasn't about to turn back even if I was going to get a smackbum.gif from the weather.
The short road in
The short road in
Sherman Peak Norwand
Sherman Peak Norwand
The snow was pretty light at the Sherman Pass Campground (snowpark). At first I was regretting not having snowshoes, but after testing the snow, I was glad I didn't bother with them. During the winter, the route starts right across the pass from the parking area as opposed to a few hundred feet down the east side. Instead of following the trail immediately, it goes cross country, making somewhat of a shortcut to the Sherman Peak loop to which it joins near Sherman Lake. So far, the weather was pretty good.
On the north side of Sherman Peak
On the north side of Sherman Peak
Looking west toward Republic
From there I followed the path around the northwest side of Sherman Peak along the usual winter route. As I started coming around the west side of Sherman Peak, Snow Peak was there in all her glory but I couldn't tell because she was completely enshrouded in clouds and blowing snow. I then knew that despite the auspicious conditions on the north side of Sherman, Snow Peak had other ideas in mind. Things continued to deteriorate as I approached the junction with the Kettle Crest trail that comes around the other side of Sherman Peak.
Emergency Supplies on trail
Emergency Supplies on trail
My Objective
My Objective
The snow really started to come down as I traversed the slopes below Snow Peak. At that point, I was started thinking more of the warmth of a wood fire at the Snow Peak Cabin as opposed to the raw ecstasy of standing on the summit of a weather-battered peak. However, I wasn't so sure I'd like to have the regret of knowing that I was what is known in Latin as a whimpus patheticus. So I bolstered my spirits by telling myself I'd merely regain my strength at the cabin. It was around here that I saw what looked like moose tracks. I definitely saw some scat near the lake, so I'm sure that is what they were.
Moose Tracks
Moose Tracks
Not having studied maps of the area in great detail, I was operating under the delusion that the cabin was located at the first pass you come to (actually where the Snow Peak Trail comes in). The reduced visibility made a convenient excuse as to why I could not see the cabin. However, no tracks went anywhere but further south toward another pass to the south. So disappointedly, I kept going on, hoping that I had been wrong as to where I thought it was. As I neared the other pass, my hopes materialized as I could barely make out what looked like a corral downhill from me. As I approached it, the cabin came into view and I happily made a beeline for it. By this time, the snow was really coming down.
Snow Peak Shelter comes into view
Snow Peak Shelter comes into view
Other than the fact that it could use a little cleaning (I'd worry about Hanta virus from the mice scat) it was quite cozy. There was a basin full of frozen water on the stove, so it must have been quite cold outside. I soon had a nice fire going as was basking in the soothing comfort of its warmth campfire.gif Then it was time for leftover pizza and Rice Crispy Treats.
Inside the shelter
Inside the shelter
In the shelter
In the shelter
The weather let up a bit and I got a good view of Snow Peak, though the snow did continue to fall lightly as I made my way up. The mountain decided to let me have it once I reached the top. As I made my way up, I kept looking back to see my progress. As time went by, the warm cabin started to get further away, and the blustery summit started to get closer.
Looking back at the cabin
Looking back at the cabin
Looking NW I think
Looking NW I think
Looking back again at the cabin
Looking back again at the cabin
Nearing the summit of Snow Peak
Nearing the summit of Snow Peak
Soon I made the ridge crest between the true summit and the false summit to the south. Thankfully, I decided to make use of the map at the cabin and study the topography of the peak before heading up -- the summit was in a bit of a white-out at the top. Soon I found the summit cairne and took some photos and some video. Then it was time to head down.
On the summit
On the summit
Checking the fun-o-meter
Checking the fun-o-meter
The summit cairne
The summit cairne
I followed the gentle ridge to the false summit on the north side. Actually, at first, I thought it was Sherman Peak as the weather was playing mind games with me. When I realized it wasn't Sherman Peak, it looked so high that I thought it may be the true summit of Snow Peak. So I had to climb it, just in case. When I got on top, a sucker hole opened up and I realized that the first summit which I had already climbed was the real deal. The false summit did make for some nice video opportunities with some blowing snow and some cornices, so it was all worth it. Soon I was on my way down and parts of the real Sherman Peak started coming into view.
Sherman Loop Kettle Crest Tr Jct
Sherman Loop Kettle Crest Tr Jct
Looking back up Snow Peak
Looking back up Snow Peak
Ghost forest
Ghost forest
South along the Crest
South along the Crest
Sherman Peak-2
Sherman Peak-2
Finally I was back at the junction with the Sherman Loop trail and on my way back to the vehicle. I had beaten the weather and no longer had the stress of wondering if it would be wise to continue with my objective for the day. Everything seemed perfect in the world as I retraced my footsteps (dusted with fresh snow) back down to the highway and to my truck. Back at the rig, I polished off the last Rice Crispy treat as I warmed up the vehicle (my wife made a perfect batch this time). As I pulled onto the highway, I stopped to give a jump to some folks who were stalled on the summit. Then it was back to civilization. As I was passing through Deer Park, I couldn't help taking my eyes off the road from time to time to catch glimpses of the gorgeous sunset.
Way back toward the cabin
Way back toward the cabin
Lichens
Lichens
Back at Sherman Pass
Back at Sherman Pass
Campground info
Campground info
Rechecking the fun-o-meter
Rechecking the fun-o-meter

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
harrymalamute

harrymalamute
PostWed Apr 29, 2009 12:23 am 
great tr. alpendave. i've been north kettle crest several times but yet to get south. the cabin looks inviting. it really helps to see the currant snow conditions. great effort.

hikes and climbs with malamute
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostWed Apr 29, 2009 5:11 am 
Thanks harrymalamute! BTW, video added. Vimeo sure took a long time this time. Dave

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostWed Apr 29, 2009 6:18 am 
Nice TR on this rather neglected part of Washington. Copper Butte is the only peak I've visited but it would be great to visit more of the peaks some day. Thanks for your TR and inspiration. up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Spotly

Spotly
PostWed Apr 29, 2009 6:58 am 
I've always thought the same thing about the mice in that cabin. We were up there in Feb and it was a wallow-fest on the west side of Snow Peak. Glad to see the snow is consolidating a bit. Nice pics and video.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Apr 29, 2009 7:51 am 
Thanks, Alpendave! up.gif Keep 'em coming! I love that area but haven't been nearly enough to really know it well.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Apr 29, 2009 8:41 am 
pretty nice. I was also there at the end of January. The non consolidated snow sucked big time when you were off the trail. On trail was good. I could see the cabin...but never inside it. thanks!

Art is an adventure.
RichP

RichP
PostWed Apr 29, 2009 9:35 am 
Thanks! This is one of the areas I plan to explore this year.

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostWed Apr 29, 2009 10:06 am 
Thanks guys! I really wanted to explore the area. I used to search hi and low for photos of the cabin to see what it was like, but never found any until Spotly's TR from earlier this year. Now there's some video. Some better views would have been nice, but the blowing snow and whisping clouds were nice in their own right.

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostWed Apr 29, 2009 2:38 pm 
One thing I forgot to add. The door to the cabin has a tendency to stick. For a second, when the door wouldn't budge, I thought it might be locked from the inside doof.gif Once I gave it a good heave, it finally opened.

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostWed Apr 29, 2009 3:08 pm 
Awesome! Thanks for sharing! up.gif